New owner & rider
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone, I just got my first motorcycle this past week. My husband recently bought a KLR and suggested that we should buy me a bike so we could go in the hills together. So last weekend I decided to check out Craigslist and see what there was out there at a reasonable price. I came across this TW and starting researching the bike and found this forum. I can't tell you how much this site helped us make the decision to buy - what an invaluable resource this site has been! Anyway, its a 2003, picked it up for $1500 with 1100 miles on it. It has couple scratches on it and a small ding in the tank from being dropped, but other than that its in great shape.

I'm just starting out as a new rider at the young age of 49! Mid-life crisis maybe? lol. So far I've been familiarizing myself with the bike and its parts. I spent a couple hours in the backyard getting use to releasing the clutch, making turns, coordinating clutch, brake, throttle. I've driven it to our local convenience store and around the neighborhood. I haven't got much over 20 mph, just trying to get comfortable with the bike right now. Since I've never ridden a bike before I was worried I would have problems with getting started, but I've found the bike is pretty easy on a newbie. We live next to a tire shop, so I've been using their parking lot after hours to practice on. My husband is out fighting fires right now, so I'm hoping by the time he gets back I'll be able to show off my progress.

Absolutely love my bike! Makes me wonder why its taken me so long to get on one. Can't wait until I can take it out for a proper ride!

Welcome aboard.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    Congratulation on your new bike and welcome to the club! Looking forward to hear about your rides.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome new rider! I also bought a used 2003 TW 200 in March this year. I'm 60 yrs. young and haven't been on a bike in over 40 years. I took the PA sponsored free beginner's riding course and got my license renewed in April. My bike now has 700 miles on it and is running well and a blast to ride. I too relied on this forum to help in my decision and to find answers to lots of questions!

Yes, welcome aboard and congrats on your fine purchase. I predict that if you keep progressing at the current rate and you "go in the hills together" there may be a day when your husband suggests that "maybe we should head back" and you will say WHY?

Best regards, mac
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I'm looking forward to contributing as I get more experienced.

Planning on doing a service on it tomorrow, so naturally I have a couple questions...

1. I bought a new oil filter for it. I see in the technical section that the oil filter has a screen on it that gets cleaned, but the parts store gave me a Wix paper filter. Did I get the wrong one? Should I take it back?

2. The owners manual says to use a special cleaner from Yamaha to clean the foam filter in the airbox. Do I need to go get that or is there an alternative that everyone else uses?

3. Should I change the spark plug while I'm at it?

4. Anything else I should do?

The guy we bought it from hadn't run it in a while. Wasn't even sure the battery was charged enough to start it, but it did start and seems to be running good. I figured I'd put the battery on the trickle charger just to make sure its fully charged.

The paper filter will catch more particles than the screen filter. I believe there is a filter that you can buy that looks somewhat like the factory filter but doesn't allow oil to flow properly and will damage the engine. Search this forum to find the info.

You could use solvent or wd-40 to clean your filter. Make sure you squeese the excess all out of it and then don't over oil the filter.

Spark plugs are cheap. Go for it. Get the right one from the dealer or auto parts store (cheaper) and don't cross thread it when you install it and don't tighten it too much. Tighten it just enough to compress the spark plug washer and thats all.

I have owned over 100 motorcycles and own a TW200. I love it for the handling, traction, brakes, power (none!), ease of use, and the gas mileage. You chose a great bike for your first. Get the Big Jimbo shield, shim the carb needle (easy), change the oil and filter often (do it yourself), and buy a frame mounted back rack so that you can carry so extra gas

You also might want to buy a new battery because if it is discharged now it is probably on the way out. Batteries for these bikes are cheep but because of their size don't last very long if they are neglected. Keep a battery tender on it and it will be ready for you in the spring. Also use seafoam fuel conditioner to preserve the fuel in you tank and in the carb during storage. Again, the bike will be ready for you in the spring and you won't be like many other bike owners stranded on the side of the road or waiting for their bike to come back from the shop at the busiest time of the year. Why is it the busiest time of the year? Some owners just park their bike in the garage and don't winterize it and then in the spring their batteries are dead and their carbs are clogged. Every year it's the same story.

Thanks tripleted. The paper filter doesn't look like the factory filter. Its good to know its better than the factory, so I'll use it.

I'm pretty savvy as far as doing general maintenance when it comes to cars, but am a bit out of my element when it comes to motorcycles. lol

I haven't done any work on a carb since I was a teenager. So why am I shimming the carb needle? I've seen it mentioned several times in carb related threads, but what is exactly is the advantage to doing it?

Thanks.

Check the filter threads on the forum. Some filters that are the same size as the one for the TW are not compatible because they do no have hole in a circle around the central axis of the filter. If you still have the paper equivalent in hand or are concerned whether you had the right one, read the threads. You are probably OK but some folks have burned an engine with the wrong filter (sometime even provide by Mr. Yamaha himself. Ride safely, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links