TW now running
Close

Thread: TW now running

My 1990 TW200 is now running. Wow what a short 1st gear. Good for about 5mph. Has anyone changed sprockets. 15 on the front and 42 on the back maybe. I am not looking for 100mph but 65 or so to keep from being ran over maybe. I havent done the math to figure out top end and dont know what climbing a hill would be like. Just curious about some gearing options. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks go to sorethumb on this forum for the gas cap, he's very good to deal with, good prices and fast shipping.

15/42 is way too high. 15/50 or 14/47 seems to be the best street combo for most. I stick with stock because I do some off road as well. The low first gear comes in handy there.

+1. 15/50 or 14/47 is all you need.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You won't gain any top end no matter what sprockets you run, except downhill, tucked in, with a tailwind, drafting a semi. You can make 1st a little more street friendly and drop a bit of vibration at speed.

The only person I know who actually knows someone who was rear-ended while riding down a highway at anything close to the speed limit is me, and I was doing about 10 over at the time. Rear-ended while cruising seems to be urban legend. If it actually happened there would be no Harleys.

On the other hand, rear-ended while stopping or stopped isn't that uncommon. Watch your 6.

I went with 15/47 after the OEM chain wore out. In Kansas it was OK, but not good at holding top speed up & over an overpass. I didn't get any faster top end, since the drive train ran out of torque at near the same speed as before.

I changed to 15/50 shortly after and have been happy since.

Now that I'm in Georgia with all the hills I am wondering about going back to 14/50. Maybe get just a little bit more torque at speed for getting up hills without down-shifting. But then I think, the down-shifting works, so why mess with it? I do like having a first gear that I can use on the street.

Of course if I get to riding more off road next year I might want that uber-low first gear again.

We'll see.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

15/42 is way too tall for a TW, especially with 5th gear being so tall - at 0.821 whereas most bikes' top gear is in the .920 range. I'm sure this would do more harm than good in regards to engine wear, it's better to run faster making more power rather than slower and bogging down.

I have 14/45 and it's pretty good - you can still do light off- roading no problem just no really steep hills or tight slow trails/obstacles. 5th gear has no power though, so any moderate hill you're gonna wanna hit with extra speed to make up for the speed you will lose - and if it's a long stretch of steep hill you're screwed and will need 4th, even 3rd if it's a mountain.

I think I would recommend 15/50 though for more versatility - I did a twisted mountain road for the first time the other day with 14/45 and while it would climb in 3rd and 2nd as needed, it was working pretty damn hard and just barely making it up there. 15/50 would have been much much better.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Sponosred Links