Messing with Video
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Messing with Video

For comparison, I used my driveway as the baseline.

1. Last winter handlebar mount. Beside video shaking, also had issues with sounds from the dash, which is why I use music most of the time to cover up the harsh sound.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hgV5AwPbK4[/media]

2. Last week from the helmet mount. Still had sound issues, but now it was wind noise. My fix, Mr. Mitten. I tried different materials to cover up the mic without success. Using my highly technical critical thinking skills, I put a cloth mitten over the camera, cutting out a hole for the lens, and with the open part of the mitten on top so I have access to the camera on/off controls. And if I though the camera mount wasn't silly looking before the mitten...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhmj_jMxqU[/media]

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

3. Youtube added a video stabilization feature. Here's the same video as #2, stabilized. Thoughts?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fqFKITaXlc[/media]
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    The second stabilized video certainly has less up and Down motion, but it was not as continuous, had some slight pauses when I watched it.

Is that how far you have to go, 5 miles out and back, to get your mail? Gives you a good reason to ride every day. And you've got to watch out for those rocks on the sides of the corners so you don't slide out. Nice open country, good dirt roads for the TW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    The second stabilized video certainly has less up and Down motion, but it was not as continuous, had some slight pauses when I watched it.

Is that how far you have to go, 5 miles out and back, to get your mail?

I noticed some quirks with the stabilized view as well. Sometimes it looks like the video is searching for the best view. Also feels like the TW is floating. Bumping in the originals give you the feeling like your riding along rather than floating. I see a similar views with the folks who use the gopro camera's, but their distortion isn't as bad overall. Doesn't have the slight pauses as the youtubes stabilization.

Oh, and not quite 5 miles round trip to the mailbox, more like 1 1/2, but you are correct, gives me an excuse to ride the TW! Though I should walk more and get some exercise!

The YouTube stabilization does seem to work... kinda. It has a "floaty" kind of feel, (sort of like how the ride might look after a few beers. ) I'm not sure I like it.

I've been trying to figure out why the GoPro videos look so stable and I don't think it's in-camera stabilization so much as that they have extremely wide angle lenses, which will lessen the apparently camera motion. Be sure your video camera is in "full-wide" zoom for best results.

I'm trying to figure out a way to mount and shoot with my little Sony point-and-shoot, which has stabilization and also HD-video. Mounting on the bike seems to cause way more issues in vibration reduction. A helmet mount would seem the better option given what I see with your results. I wonder if I could find a really strong suction cup that would attach to my helmet (so as not to have to drill holes in it). A "safety leash" would also be a good idea so that if the suction cup let go I wouldn't get that "last shot" of the camera diving under the wheels.

I see GoPro has a suction cup mount for their cameras, but I'd need something a little stronger and a "home brew" solution is bound to cost way less.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I noticed some quirks with the stabilized view as well. Sometimes it looks like the video is searching for the best view. Also feels like the TW is floating. Bumping in the originals give you the feeling like your riding along rather than floating. I see a similar views with the folks who use the gopro camera's, but their distortion isn't as bad overall. Doesn't have the slight pauses as the youtubes stabilization.

Oh, and not quite 5 miles round trip to the mailbox, more like 1 1/2, but you are correct, gives me an excuse to ride the TW! Though I should walk more and get some exercise!

On most cameras simply putting a piece of scotch tape over the mic while riding does quite well. You'll still get some wind noise.

My V-Max video

http://youtu.be/XGIf6ZcmtNQ

My SV650 Video

http://youtu.be/a55q2lvBV1o

Have a short video of the TW, but haven't got to the "on bike" portion yet... I've been meaning to, just too many other things to be done.

E

I like the first, after all that is what the TW is really like. That is a great piece of land you have there, room to stretch out and not hit the next house over. I watched some mountain bike video the other day that a friend took with her new Go Pro Hero cam. She uses a chest mount and it was very stabale view even on the roughest parts of the trail. The chest mount gives you a shot of the hands/arms on the handle bars so its more like watching a video game.... kinda cool. Loved the mitten on the camera trick, except one hand is gonna be cold this winter! Thanks for the videos, just love watching TW's in action....now start jumping the bike over them horses....yee haw.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    She uses a chest mount and it was very stabale view even on the roughest parts of the trail. The chest mount gives you a shot of the hands/arms on the handle bars so its more like watching a video game.... kinda cool.

Forgot about a chest mount. I'll have consider a setup. Last year Busyweb and Mrgizmow did some video experimentation with a chest mount I think. Might be the way to go. Now I'll go search last years posts and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the reminder.

So far I prefer the helmet mount over the handlebar mount even though I look silly.

When I try to find a video of a motorcycle to watch to try to get the "feel" of the bike, I hate it when they have music. Sorry, but I always want to hear the machine. I don't like it when the wind gets so loud that it drowns out the sounds of the bike. I prefer to see a bit of the bike in the videos myself. Like the speedo/tach and some of the handlebars, and even the controls (clutch throttle etc). So to me, your second video in your first post was pretty good. The sound was fine and I can hear the bike talking to me. I would have liked to see the bars and controls also, but I liked it. The wind noise wasn't bad at all.

Jon

(I'm an opinionated old geezer--but you asked)
    Jon

Keaau, Hawaii

I'm with you Jon. I only put music with them to cover up the wind noise. Normally, I want to only hear the motor too, but I can go with some light background music, especially if it's a long video. I think I may have the wind noise solved.

As I test the chest mount that I have yet to develop, I hope to get some dash and handlebar. And perhaps with the camera mounted next to the body, the sound will be protected too.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate the comments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links