TW200 and the Big Island
Close

We went on about a 4 mile hike here yesterday to a great spot called Shipman Beach. This, on a quite old road through some jungle conditions and ending up at a beautiful secluded beach. This road is only for hikers now, though I did see a guy on a mountain bike. But I think the conditions on this trail would be pretty common for trails that would be legal for dual sporting here.

This was a pretty rough trail. We're talking very rocky with lots of ruts and tree roots everywhere. Lots of muddy water crossings that we hiked around, but a dual sport would have to go through. The rocks were mostly not too large. This trail would bounce your filligs from your teeth on a motorcycle. The combination of the rocks, roots, and mud would be a challenge. Much of it would have to be ridden slowly as I could see bent rims very possible if ridden to hard and fast.

Does this sound like an environment the TW would be up for? I think the mud should be something that the fat rear tire might be just what you want? I didn't get any photos of the rough parts, as it was too dark in there to get a good shot.

Jon
    Jon

Keaau, Hawaii

Was the mud deep, thick, and gooey?

I rode my TW into half-dried up mudholes a few times and found that it just sank to the axles. I could stand up and walk around and the bike just stayed in place... The fat tire only helps you "so much"

Other than that variable it sounds like exactly the place that I loved to take mine
    ITCB

Maybe that fat rear tire isn't that much help in mud. They always say that, for snow car driving, you are better off with a narrower tire as it then concentrates the weight on less tread area than on a wider tire.

I'll try a search.

jon
    Jon

Keaau, Hawaii

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's what it's for go for it.

Big island like Hawaii? It doesn't have red clay does it? That stuff doesn't come off.

Sponosred Links