The T-Dub goes fishing and makes friends at the pub
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I finally figured out how to post pictures of the forum. You might believe my stories more readily now.

Set off fishing into the mountains yesterday, stopping at the local pub, pizzeria, post office and store to get post and some bread and milk before they shut. Left the stuff at the pub which would be open when I got back. Met Rod (nickname Faulty) who had taken his 26 year old Suzuki 650 out for a ride on a beautiful spring day.

I admired the Victory's chrome and curve. Rod is confirmed bachelor and she takes pride of place in his living room where you might find a wife in another house. He rebuilt her from derelict condition some years back. Now he is lving in the countryside he reckons he has another roadbike he is selling and will buy something else for the dirt roads like the TW which he admired. He said he is looking at a Honda CTX 200. They have been the TWs competitor on the farms here since the 80s. You can buy them complete with racks quite a bit cheaper than the TW. Those of you in the first world won't know them since they were not aimed at or sold in that market. I did a little research:

http://www.visordown.com/features/ho...tho/17830.html

http://trailriderreports.blogspot.com/2006/10/bike.html

I went fishing down at the river on a mountain track that the fishing club said is four wheel drive only. I did well with one wheel drive and went where 4x4s can't go to get through rocks and swamps right onto the river. The Brown trout were not feeding in the river but on the way back the rainbows were rising in the lake which was stocked a year ago by the club when they took it over, but is still closed while the fish grow.

I had to stop and watch. It was a bit frustrating and the Nikon could not do justice to the sunset colours with our Inhlosane mountain reflecting on the water.

I stopped back at the pub on the way and had a few beers with the owner. His manager rides a chinese 250 Bashan to work which costs nearly a third of the price of a TW but he has had more problems with his new bike than I have had with my 1995 TW. You can see his bike skulking in the background.

I have found another 1995 for sale an hour away which I might buy as a spares department or as a project to make a pavement commuter. R3500 is $438. What do you think?

http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-V...AdIdZ316528651

The guy says he spent nearly that much at Yamaha on engine spares and has a good CDi. Am going to go and look at it and take my bike on the van to see if it will run with his CDi. He says he has the parts missing off the bike in the picture but abandoned ship whern the payments never came. If I offer him less say $400 it will still be worth it in spares methinks.

Malcolm

Oh, yeah. Even with your great writing style pictures make the story so much better. Looks like you have some beautiful country to ride in, and when they open the lake you'll have some great fishing too, with surroundings like that. What muffler is that on your bike? Good luck on picking up the spares bike.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Thanks B-Dub. That's whatever the Dept of Agric got made up custom stainless to replace the stock which would have rusted some time into the bike's career as a civil servant. They are quite expensive. She was also issued with an o-ring chain which never requires adjustment. She is still enjoying farm life but more for the good times on a Sunday fishing than Monday morning cold starts.

You can see more country on this guy's blog. You will also see some T-Dubs that flocked together with the Hondas showing that in South Africa discrimination over colour or creed is no longer policy.

http://trailriderreports.blogspot.co...big-heart.html

Malcolm

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Torque View Post
    Thanks B-Dub. That's whatever the Dept of Agric got made up custom stainless to replace the stock which would have rusted some time into the bike's career as a civil servant. They are quite expensive. She was also issued with an o-ring chain which never requires adjustment. She is still enjoying farm life but more for the good times on a Sunday fishing than Monday morning cold starts.

You can see more country on this guy's blog. You will also see some T-Dubs that flocked together with the Hondas showing that in South Africa discrimination over colour or creed is no longer policy.

http://trailriderreports.blogspot.co...big-heart.html

Malcolm

Can't justify spending the bucks for an o-ring chain for this bike, get plenty of miles from the cheap non OEM chains.

Just use a little gear oil on the cheap chains they will last a long time.

The thing is Ziggy that the government spent our taxes on the o-ring chain when she was their property and now I get the benefit of it. Sorry if my story telling is a tad obtuse. . .

Unfortunately we only got the "boy racer" versions of the CTX, AG200's and the like, mostly in XT/DR/XL form.

There's a place for a real seat, racks that hold more than a sandwich, chaincases, meaningful stock engine armor etc. Wish it was here.

This may be as close as a lot of us ever get to Africa, so keep it coming.

Oh, and if you happen to see an old AG seat, racks or engine bars just lying around anywhere...

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Oh, and if you happen to see an old AG seat, racks or engine bars just lying around anywhere...
    +1 I wonder what it would cost to post "scrap metal" from Africa?

As much or more as the other way around which is why I don't qualify for Gerry's cycle rack competition and will have to make my own by commandeering a pipe bender somewhere.

BTW since the subject of chains came up again. The CTX Bushlander comes with an o-ring chain. Honda understood that the last thing a farmer wants to do is spend more on modifying a new machine to make it low maintenance and crash protected. That and beating the Yamaha price of TWs explains why the TW is not doing the quantities over here any more and is not in the showrooms while the CTX is. Just did a price check and you can get a new one off the floor for nearly US$1000 less than a TW which has to be ordered.

So the TW is more exclusive one could say. . .

One of the Aussies modified AG skid bars to fit his TW on the old forum. IIRC the front was a bolt-on and he had to do some funny buisiness with the rear hook. Bet you could widen a front and rear rack to suit, as well.

Or just send two of everything to me and I'll do all the necessary adapting

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the tip. We have an old Indian scrap bike dealer here. His yard is worth a scratch. He just tore up a very worn old TW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links