Handlebar Vibrations
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member PalmStateCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cayce, SC
    Posts
    3,109
    I have searched this forum top to bottom trying to figure out how to fix my problem. I thought fixing whatever was causing my foot pegs to vibrate (loose motor mount) would fix this problem as well. I have the tusk d-flex handguards with the bar ends that have a little rubber sleeve around them to dampen any vibration from the metal on metal contact. I just realized today that the vibration is localized to the end of the bars. So, if you are holding on to the grips there is no vibration under the thumb and pointer but there is a very serious vibration under the ring and pinky fingers. I have tried tightening the bar ends to the max which helped a little but it still causes my hands to tingle after 30-45min of riding. Any ideas?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

  2. #2
    Senior Member RodneyReed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866
    I'm thinking you may have excessive vibration. In fact, that may have been the cause of the loose motor mount. See if you can find a fellow t-dubber nearby to compare with.



    I've made several hour plus rides, some with stock and some with lightweight aluminum handlebars, at WOT almost the whole time. There is some vibration but not the hand numbing variety.



    Just a thought.

  3. #3
    Senior Member biglefti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SCW, AZ
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    I have searched this forum top to bottom trying to figure out how to fix my problem. I thought fixing whatever was causing my foot pegs to vibrate (loose motor mount) would fix this problem as well. I have the tusk d-flex handguards with the bar ends that have a little rubber sleeve around them to dampen any vibration from the metal on metal contact. I just realized today that the vibration is localized to the end of the bars. So, if you are holding on to the grips there is no vibration under the thumb and pointer but there is a very serious vibration under the ring and pinky fingers. I have tried tightening the bar ends to the max which helped a little but it still causes my hands to tingle after 30-45min of riding. Any ideas?


    Or you may be sensitive to the vibrations more than most. If you aren't able to isolated the cause of the vibrations, you might try a set of grip puppies.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Xracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lake Placid,Florida
    Posts
    3,818
    Filling the handle bars with BB's will help. Also a better pair of grips will make a difference.

  6. #5
    Senior Member PalmStateCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cayce, SC
    Posts
    3,109
    So is it normal for the handguards to cause a little extra vibration in the bar ends? It would make sense because they are deflecting wind, which would make anything vibrate at 60mph. The vibration did not bother me until I put on the d-flex handguards and it is only at the end of the bars so if I ride like i'm sipping tea (pinkies up) everythings fine. I have been considering getting slip-ons or foam grips, but I wanted to make sure that this was a normal issue for people with large handguards.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

  7. #6
    Junior Member ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Homestead, Miami, Fl
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    So is it normal for the handguards to cause a little extra vibration in the bar ends? It would make sense because they are deflecting wind, which would make anything vibrate at 60mph. The vibration did not bother me until I put on the d-flex handguards and it is only at the end of the bars so if I ride like i'm sipping tea (pinkies up) everythings fine. I have been considering getting slip-ons or foam grips, but I wanted to make sure that this was a normal issue for people with large handguards.
    Check the old forum archives.

  8. #7
    Senior Member JarrodWeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    112
    There are several remedies: shorten the bars to change the vibration harmonic; Xracer already comment about using bb's; you can also use lead shot or sand; buy a bar snake and install. None of these are guaranteed fixes, only remedies. If your bike is not moving in neutral and you hold it at the RPM where the vibration is, does it vibrate then? If so, the vibration problem is in your engine. If not, it is somewhere in your chassis/drivetrain. Just a few thoughts to help you begin to troubleshoot the issue. Good luck.

  9. #8
    Senior Member RisingSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    793
    Head set could be loose or head bearings could be shot. If its just the bars then FASST BARS But BB's Really? I would have thought sprayfoam

  10. #9
    Senior Member Xracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lake Placid,Florida
    Posts
    3,818
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
    Head set could be loose or head bearings could be shot. If its just the bars then FASST BARS But BB's Really? I would have thought sprayfoam
    If you use spray foam it has to be very thick to be of any use. I also have the Tusk brush guards and found them to cause more vibes in the bars.After install a good set of dualsports grips and wearing a set of padded gloves it was much more pleasant.

  11. #10
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    It's a single. It vibrates. A counterbalancer can only balance the mass of the reciprocating parts through half the 4 strokes since the transition from power to parasitic modes of the cycles set up a comletely different set of imbalances from the out-of-balance masses. Generally counterbalancers are engineered to balance partway between power and parasitic, reducing the effective imbalance, but not able to completely eliminate the vibrations. Completely eliminationg vibrations requires two complete counterbalance systems, one to deal with the mass, one to deal with the power. Since you can't eliminate all vibration, best one can do is make it tolerable.



    I expect your guards are transfering energy from near the triple tree to the bar ends.



    First thing to try is a good set of gel grips. About $12. Unless one has extremely large hands overwraps like Grip Puppies can interfere with a secure grip on the bars offroad. On the highway they are fine.



    Wrap a strip of inner tube around the bars where the guards clamp on near the triple tree.



    A slightly different sprocket ratio may move the annoying rpm out of your cruise zone.



    Increasing the mass at the ends of the bars. Lead shot set in epoxy puts the most mass furthest out and will have a good dampning effect. Filling the entire bars just adds a lot of weight.



    A change to a different handlebar material may help--aluminum bars usually do not transmit vibration as bad as steel bars.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Handlebar
    By Havoc in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
  2. Chronic effects from handlebar vibrations?
    By Mark In WA in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM
  3. GPS survive vibrations
    By ezman671 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
  4. Footpeg Vibrations
    By PalmStateCrawler in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
  5. Handlebar Pad
    By Carpit in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Search tags for this page

handlebar vibrating after installing handguards
,

how to fix excessive vibration back to normal my gasoline motor tank

,
tw200 handlebar material
,
tw200 weighted bar ends
Click on a term to search for related topics.