Stearns tank bags
Close

Has anyone used these tank bags on your TW? My local Walmart has them sitting right next to our favorite seat pads and I was wondering if these work out with our bikes. They had a cheaper version of these bags, and a more expensive camo version of it as well, but this one seemed the most practical for how I would use it.

Thanks,

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

The problem I see is the height. The stock TW tank is... well, just small.

These tank bags are made for larger ATV tanks, with cowling. It looks like the bottom would be touching the engine on the TW.

Now if you had a taller Clark tank or one of the other tall tank mods, this would probably fit better.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Not sure it is a money saver, but since I already owned them I use my Mule (Horse) saddle horn bags which are similar to the Stearns Tank Bag. If you look at my avitar, those are the longer ones I use which hang below the gas tank, which is stock. Because they hung low I was concerned with them coming into contact with the engine, but never have had a problem with that. Currently I use smaller saddle horn bags to give my knees a little more room. Sometimes they come into contact with the handle bar, but they don't interfere negatively.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm, didn't think of the knee situation. I have a friend who is a wiz at the sewing machine, so she can size up the bags with my tank and alter them, but I never even thought of the knees. I'll need to rethink this.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Shorten up the strap that goes over the top of the tank.

Couldn't this also be used on the back fender if you whipped up a lightweight framework for it? It's cheap enough that I may just have to get it and try it.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

If you get a chance to get by a Tractor Supply store they have a saddle horn bag ($10-$12...I think) that are approx: 10"x10"x3". I've seen black and brown for colors. They will hold lots of eats, a pair of binoculars, cell phone or whatever.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Well. I purchased the tank bags a few days ago, and fitted them today after work, and they DO fit on the TW. There is another set of plastic loops that you can fasten the bags to (The are Velcro'd on the loops) which are a little higher up on the straps that go across the tank. They hang just a little lower than the bottom of the tank and I mean just a little lower. There are some self-adhesive Velcro strips on the back of each bag, but I am NOT going to stick them on my tank. What I am planning on doing is sticking some hard drive magnets on the inside of the bags so that they stay put on the tank.

I was going to snap a picture of two of the bags on the bike and load them up with some crap and take it out for a test ride, but it started to rain, so the bike never even made it out of the shed. I'll get some pictures of the bags on the bike eventually for you guys and let you all know how they work out.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Quote Originally Posted by BillMichaels View Post
    If you get a chance to get by a Tractor Supply store they have a saddle horn bag ($10-$12...I think) that are approx: 10"x10"x3". I've seen black and brown for colors. They will hold lots of eats, a pair of binoculars, cell phone or whatever.

Yep, I found a set for $12 at Rural King the other day. I had to add a front strap (the rings were already there), and they are great. The only negative is when you hug the tank with your knees, you notice the cargo in the way
    TW200, Bruin, Sportsman, Ranger, Wrangler
    ----> Old Age Ain't for Sissies!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Bond View Post
    Yep, I found a set for $12 at Rural King the other day. I had to add a front strap (the rings were already there), and they are great. The only negative is when you hug the tank with your knees, you notice the cargo in the way

I ended up cutting off the metal "D" rings and just used a length of 1/4" bungie material and tie it around the frame under the tank. Glad it worked out for you.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Sponosred Links