How complicated is it to mount a bigger front disk?
Close

I have a ninja 500 that is only good for parts and it has a really big front disk - not sure the exact size but probably 300-350mm and my 2001 TW probably has what a 220mm disk I think the specs say? It would make a big difference in stopping power which would be nice in the mean time while I'm riding it until it finally sells, which would help sell it too cause the TW disk is definitely not the biggest bite in the world.

So, would it just be a matter of swapping out the disk and the caliper or do I have do swap out all the lines and brake fluid reservoir too? How complicated can it get? Seems simple but I thought I would ask before I take the TW's brake apart.

Thanks
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Don't go taking it apart so quick.

Your Ninja disc won't fit the "3 groups of 2" bolt pattern on your TW wheel. No how, no way, short of having an adapter plate machined. Then you'd need to have a plate machined to move your existing caliper to the rear so it will clear the new disc, and have it returned to the correct offset.

Lotsa work and cubic dollars.

There may be an existing kit for one of the few other bikes which share our bolt psattern. Early YZ80's Xt's and TTR's are among the few but there probably isn't much demand.

Cubic dollars again, but complete kits with less chance of you ending up room temperature.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sol View Post
    I have a ninja 500 that is only good for parts and it has a really big front disk - not sure the exact size but probably 300-350mm and my 2001 TW probably has what a 220mm disk I think the specs say? It would make a big difference in stopping power which would be nice in the mean time while I'm riding it until it finally sells, which would help sell it too cause the TW disk is definitely not the biggest bite in the world.

So, would it just be a matter of swapping out the disk and the caliper or do I have do swap out all the lines and brake fluid reservoir too? How complicated can it get? Seems simple but I thought I would ask before I take the TW's brake apart.

Thanks
    Don't even think about it, no way. The Tw is a pretty light bike so ur disc should work fine. I have a 89 with the drum and it stops me just fine.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Have a read here, all credit to Sinophilia > https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...mm-brake-disc/

Don't even bother cause the bike doesn't even go that fast to need bigger brakes. Plus its a big negative if you go off roading. Your bound to bang it up and bend it being that big.

Quote Originally Posted by uktw125 View Post
    Have a read here, all credit to Sinophilia > https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...mm-brake-disc/

Not sure what that little booger costs, but that's the way to go.

As others have pointed out, it's not a real wise choice for an offroad TW. A disc that large tends to be pretty hard to control in soft stuff and is vulnerable to damage.

On a street ridden bike that would be the ticket.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

tw_parts.com Sebastian has a kit.

Assuming I did the conversion correctly, the price isn't all that bad. I doubt you could get a Galfer or similar kit for any less domestically, even if they offered one.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

FWIW, the biggest STANDARD rotor I've found for our bolt pattern is a 245mm, used on some old YZ's and 2-stroke WR's.

Just thought I'd save some of you from reinventing the wheel, so ta speak.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Add a supercharger then bigger brakes.

Sponosred Links