DiD O Ring Chains Obsolete technology
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DiD O Ring Chains Obsolete technology

After the hunt for cheap O-ring chain thread I got on the phone to Yamaha and made this discovery which warranted a new thread. Any experience with these?

My Yamaha dealer mate can give me one for the new old T Dub for = $100 which would have worked out at $114 last week but the rand weakened. Including new sprockets its going to be $160.25 which is an expensive service but the technology seems convincing.

The latest DID VX X-Ring chain is grey in colour and built to the same specifications as the proffessional O-Ring chain but now these are built using the fantastic X-Rings for better lubrication giving longer chain life.

Half the Power Loss

(Compared with Normal O-Ring)

D.I.D’s PATENTED X-Ring construction reduces friction by twisting between the side plates instead of being squashed. Normal O-Rings and other makers’ modified O-Rings have squashed points that increase friction. The twisting action of the X-Ring disperses the pressure and minimizes power loss.

X-Ring is a U.S.A. Registered Trademark of D.I.D; Daido Kogyo Co. Ltd. Japan 1.5 to 2 TImes Longer Wear Resistance

(Compared with Normal O-Ring)

The X-Ring’s four contact points greatly increase its sealing performance. This keeps the dirt out and the lubrication in much better than any other O-Ring. X-Rings have the greatest wear resistance of any other type of O-Ring or Non-O-Ring chain.

I've been happy with DID chains for many years. If they have a new one that will last longer under the unrelenting power of the Dub...Great.

X-rings aren't new, but may be new to the 428 market (well, might be new to the U.S. market as I think they're available over seas). But don't ignore the standard o-ring!! I'd love to see some actual numbers on power losses. -0.001hp is technically a loss, but would you notice the difference? I'd venture to say the average TW'er experiences a greater loss from changing environmental factors (temp, humidity, pressure) than switching from standard to o-ring. Don't get too caught up in THEIR marketing.

Secondly, the links only twist a few degrees about the o-rings as it wraps around the gear, its not continuously spinning about the o-ring. The loss from o-rings should only be from the few wrapped around the gear. All others are in straight chain section between the gears (not spinning but stationary).
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This makes more sense:

http://www.did-coltd.com/english/products/pdf/up_fx.pdf

It is still an O ring chain, its just that the rings have edges. My guy at Yamaha says DiD o rings are "no more". I am going to shop around and see if there are any old stock ones with old prices.

The general dealer has the o ring for $12.50 less, that's 12.5% less. If the DiD claims of double the life of the old o ring are true, then it's worth buying the new technology. It would be good to see some independent trials.

Someone finally got it right. This should be a stickie. It's gotta be more reasonable than my demented ramblings on the subject:

http://vic.searchwarp.com/swa370557.htm

Boatsnbullets likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

That was great..Now I know my DID 428v rated TS 5,340 isn't at the bottom of the chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Someone finally got it right. This should be a stickie. It's gotta be more reasonable than my demented ramblings on the subject:

http://vic.searchwarp.com/swa370557.htm

I have been looking for a 428 x-ring here in the states for quite some time. I will probably end up just buying the o-ring and give up my search unless someone else has found a reputable pplace to buy one from. Either way, i'm still trying to decide whether to stick with the 14-50 set up or go for the 14-47 when I get my new chain. Decisions, decisions...
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Sidewinder a company that makes chains and sprockets came out with a new chain design using O Ring technology.

You might find their video(s) ranging from interesting to entertaining.

They produce some fascinating products and have a large racing and aerospace following.

LINK

Note: I'm not promoting them, though I have bought from them time to time and just passed by their website about the same time this thread appeared ….So thought I would share the link.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Tdub wears brand new chain and sprockets. Perhaps we'll be privy to some actual data rather than hype when those need to be replaced.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links