need advice on a new bike
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am looking for a change of pace. My yz has been a blast to ride for the past few years but not the best trail bike. I saw a tw for the first time while on vacation in FL, and gave the typical reaction of 'WTF that thing is cool!'. Well i have decided i want a DS bike. I don't have cash to spend so just looking for a even trade. Unfortunatelly this leaves me with fewer choices. My bike is in pretty decent shape it's a 99 and still running very strong (still had over 200psi on a recent compression check). I really was hoping to find a bike I could commute to work with, but have found that my 70 mile trip (one way 90% highway), is a major limiting factor. So I have compromised and realize that I will, at best, be able to ride it only occasionally to work.

So, here are the two bikes I am looking at. Both sellers have shown interest in my bike. Just looking for some opinions.

First is the tw. A 90 tw200 5k miles seller says "good shape runs great but does need minor repairs, electric and kick start everything works except horn all stock, i raised the front fender can be put back to original". Asked about 'minor repairs' and says they are a dent in gas tank, small tear in seat, for seals slowly leaking. Other than that mechanically solid, clean title, new chain, and rear tire.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2605656762.html

Second is the xt350. Says it is mechanically sound, but the kick starter is broken. Not sure on the details of this, but would be a deal breaker if the crank is broken. Also, doesn't have the title. I told him I will need it before I can even consider a trade.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/2607412619.html

Here is my bike:

So what do you guys think? I feel like both sellers are asking too much and that my bike would be a fair trade. It seems like mine is in better condition than both and newer, but being titled and street legal adds some value.

Neither choice is going to be at home commuting 140 miles a day. You're probably spending $15/day or more on gas, and depreciation, maintenance, and repairs usually is about equal to the price of gasoline. $30/day x 20 days/month = $600/month.

Move closer to work. Expenses of commuting saved will quickly buy you a dualsport.

qwerty, thanks for the reply. My initial intention was to find a bike I could commute on, however I have realized I would need a much larger bike that I am going to be able to trade for. I am now just looking for something fun I can ride on the trails and street. I might commute 1-2x per month, if I find the bike suitable.

I was more hoping to find some opinions on if these seem like decent bikes, worth the trade for my yz, and anything I should look out for.

Also, I completely agree with moving closer to work. Plans are in the works to do so in about 8 months. Any you are very close on what I am spending on gas. I typically fill up for $30-35 every other day, my truck gets 30mpg +/-, sucks big time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Both are good, simple, old tech bikes with large numbers of addicts. I prefer a TW to a XT350 for any purpose other than dirt roads in the Great Plains where the extra speed would come in hand. Now, if I could have a TW with the XT350 engine, ... .

EDIT: If not committed to a lease I'd be putting money into relocating sooner, maybe sell the YZ and hold off on the dualsport until after the move.

My commute isn't quite as lengthy as yours, but I face the same 90% highway obstacle that you do, so my TW (once I get it running) won't be my daily commuter bike. That role is already filled by my DR650. Yes, its a lot bigger bike and certainly won't be as easy to handle off-road as the TW given the relative height and weight differences of the two, but given the bomb-proof reliability and simplicity of the DR its a pretty good option if you can find a used one in your area.

If I had 70 miles of highway each way I'd be hunting up a street bike with enough humph to push some wind protection. Maybe a V-strom 650?

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I should have left out the part about commuting, as that is getting most of the attention here. That was only part of my original plan, but have quickly found that I'm not going to be able to trade for a bike capable of making my commute. I have a gs450 that needs a little work to get back on the road. It does decent on the highway, so once I get that up and running I may commute with it.

I really like the tw200, and think it will make an awesome trail/cruisin around bike. I am really intrigued by how so many people have said they are a blast to ride, even after owning bigger more expensive bikes. The guy sent me some better pics than the ones in the add, and it seems to be in better shape than I thought. Hopefully things pan out. I will post up pics if I get it.

Your posting this on a tw forum so of course everyone is gona say get a tw200. Try posting on a xt350 forum and see what they say

All joking aside, theres times i wish the tw had a bit more power or speed...but then again its very hard to get into a trouble situation where you find the front end coming up on accident. The low seat height is great for trail riding. The suspension sucks for doing anything fast, but it gets you around and is fun for some of the harder rockier trails.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by GldRubi03 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I should have left out the part about commuting, as that is getting most of the attention here. That was only part of my original plan, but have quickly found that I'm not going to be able to trade for a bike capable of making my commute. I have a gs450 that needs a little work to get back on the road. It does decent on the highway, so once I get that up and running I may commute with it.

I really like the tw200, and think it will make an awesome trail/cruisin around bike. I am really intrigued by how so many people have said they are a blast to ride, even after owning bigger more expensive bikes. The guy sent me some better pics than the ones in the add, and it seems to be in better shape than I thought. Hopefully things pan out. I will post up pics if I get it.

Good Evening,

I have a couple of thoughts. Folks are worrying about the commute because neither of those bikes are really capable of doing that regularly, which it sounds like you have figured out. Your GS would be a good commuter, I had one of those about a hundred years ago . . . . .

To me, the biggest factor in the choice for you would be how you ride your YZ. You mentioned it wasn't a good trail bike, so I assume you do some of that. If you push your YZ hard, and enjoy that, you probably won't like the TW. While it can be pushed, it doesn't really respond well.

I have to say I agree with the thought that financially it makes more sense to hold of on trading down (value wise) right now. I certainly appreciate the desire for a new bike, but if your GS is fixable, there's your commuter, and if you got moved closer, or waited, you could look at making a more finacially sensible choice.

If however, it's just about getting a different bike, you need to analize how you ride the YZ. If you ride it hard, I think you will be dissapointed with either of these choices. Neither is a powerhouse, neither has the suspension your used to in the YZ. You would gain street use, but only locally . . .

May be time to just dream about a new bike and do more research. Either way, good luck !

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

What he said.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links