Push starting a TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My battery gave out on me after leaving something in my 12v cigarette lighter over night and I jumped my battery off a car. I then rode and stopped at a gas station. I put the bike in neutral and ran inside. Upon returning to the bike I put my helmet on and kicked it into first, forgetting the kickstand was down and it shuts off as it should. It was late and no one for the next 30-45 minutes had any jumper cables so i'm sitting around waiting for my girlfriend to show up with my socket set, which I now keep in my toolkit, and the cables. This is when I thought about push starting it like my old manual 5-speed car. I tried a couple of times and couldn't figure it out. I took the battery to my dealer and they warrantied it for a new battery! Would someone please tell me how to do this just in case this happens again?!

*note* I have a 2010 with no kick starter or this would not be an issue
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I've had to push start my 2005 too. If you can run/jog it can be done pretty easy. Put the TW in 3rd or 4th gear, pull in clutch, push sorta fast. After about 10-15 yards, let out clutch. Pull in the clutch quickly if the engine fires up, or you'll have a TW on the loose soon to be damaged. Sounds worse than actually doing it. Also, if the tire slides, you need to put it in a higher gear.

Don't try jumping on when it fires up, too dangerous, just pull the clutch back in.

If you have a hill (downhill not uphill, ha ha), then you can coast and do the same thing but you can sit on it instead of pushing.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I have push started mine several times now (it works better than my rigged-up kickstarter until the new one arrives)

It works fine hot or cold (half-choke on mine if cold) and it can be push started in the length of my gravel driveway which is not very long before you get to the road. Have had fine success push starting it in 3rd gear.

Also, everything that Admiral said above
    ITCB

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by operose View Post
    I have push started mine several times now (it works better than my rigged-up kickstarter until the new one arrives)

It works fine hot or cold (half-choke on mine if cold) and it can be push started in the length of my gravel driveway which is not very long before you get to the road. Have had fine success push starting it in 3rd gear.

Also, everything that Admiral said above
    I havent had to push start a bike in awhile but i like to jump on seat (sideways) just as I'm lettting out clutch so rear tire less likely to skid....Its not like this bike is gonna throw u off with it's high horsepower....LOL
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

And remember to turn both the key and kill switch to on. If not you will be pushing for a long time. Don't ask how I know this!!

Give it gas or no? I was trying to do it in 1st gear. I guess that's a no-no
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    Give it gas or no? I was trying to do it in 1st gear. I guess that's a no-no

1st gear will only lock up the rear wheel, as I'm sure you found out Try 3rd. If it's cold, give it a little gas. Sometimes easy said than done when running, jumping on the bike, letting out the clutch and trying to give it just enough gas.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Switches on, neutral, push to a run, jump on the bike, stand on pegs, clutch in, 2nd gear, bounce butt on seat at the same time as dumping the clutch. Fires right up.

This way Querty does it is how I was taught and it works well for me.

I was taught to get the bike moving by leg power while straddling it and coast normally with your foot in the pegs then shift to second and bring (not really pop) the clutch out. I have done it personally that way lots (unfortunately) on sport, dual-sport, and standard bikes without an issue. I do end up looking like a fool doing it though but that's quickly overcome by my glee when it fires up. The problem with that method is seat heights don't really scale as much as people heights and it takes a lot more energy than running beside it. I know a lot of people who ride who can't get a bike going that fast as they're trying to push with their tippy-toes. So I would only try this if you're comfortable in doing so. The big benefit is you're already riding the bike so you have good control including brakes and you're jumping on a bike which could go badly if the terrain is loose.

I have seen both other methods turn out really badly (I live right by spot just shy of most trail heads where most trucks unload their bikes). Sometimes it resulted in only an injured bike.
    2008 TW200 Yamaha luggage rack w/small el-cheapo JC Whitney trunk and large tool tube, Jimbo Shield, re-wired headlight, Blaster Shock waiting to be installed.

1989 TW200 Work in Progress

1994 ZX6E (rebuilt transmission, then rebuilt replacement motor, then rebuilt transmission in replacement motor, fun fun) large JC Whitney trunk fixed to the back of a computer chair re-welded to make a nifty luggage rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links