winter riding
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winter riding

i am in college and i was planning on riding it in the winter (i go to iowa state) and was wondering if there is any tips?
    Omnes domum cedite

343 In Memory of our fallen brothers

What type of riding? Riding in snow in a field? Or on the road to get to class? I wouldn't recommend the latter unless Iowa allows studded tires.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

i was thinking about the riding to class
    Omnes domum cedite

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

First off, you are going to have to prepare for major windchill, unless its a very warm Iowa day and the ride is short.

Gloves are not enough. Windshields help but don't solve it all. A heavy scarf, neck wrap, or balaclava will help head and neck chilling. Traction is going to be a major problem unless roads are dry and even then the increased grit of sanded roads can cause problems as can localized iced spots on otherwise dry roads. You can do it - its just a matter of how bad you want to and how often under what conditions. I ride all winter in NM, but not every day and in better climatic conditions than anywhere in the winter of Iowa. Even with that said, some rides are painful. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

It takes me five min at most to get to class but i was planning on bundling up
    Omnes domum cedite

Quote Originally Posted by pbfirefighter22 View Post
    It takes me five min at most to get to class but i was planning on bundling up

PB, warm clothes, and leave early.

1.) Understand that cold slows your reaction time considerably, yes, even in five mins. Your bikes reaction time too. Also, if your bike sits out all night (or day) check all moving parts to ensure they aren't frozen in one position. Like your brake/throttle/clutch/turn signal etc . . . . .

2.) Way too many people don't feel they need to clear thier windshields before leaving home, they won't see you, so you better plan for them and be vigilant. Also, your goggles/winshield/visor will want to fog up, now you can't see them not see you.

3.) Leave early.

4.) Don't get in a hurry, you need to allow extra braking time, not just for you, but for that guy in front of you that didn't clear his windshield and has to stop quick resulting in a slide, forcing you to stop quick resulting in a slide/fall, while the guy behind you that also didn't clear his windshield runs into you because of the aforementioned quick stop/slide. Don't worry about his guilt for hitting you, he will explain it all away by saying that most magic of all excuses "I didn't see him!"

5.) Leave early.

6.) Wear bright (reflective) clothing. Yeah, I hate it too, however, in winter, you will be traveling exclusively in the dark - unless you schedule all your classes for mid day. If you really hate it (like I do) Aerostich sells reflective tape that is black until exposed to light then lights up silver/yellow. It is pretty cool.

7.) Install the brightest light bulbs you can find in your bike. Do a search, there are some good threads. (Qwerty has done several on lighting options, and LzrdBrth did a great one on maximzing the reflectivity of your tail/turn signals.

8.) Leave early.

9.) Pick your lane carefully, bad roads end up being three lanes even more than in summer. Make sure you line up where you don't have to cross that rine of crusty ice/slop in the center of your lane in an emergency. Really important to have your excape routeS planned way ahead of time. Oh, and that cool stuff they spray on the roads to keep it from freezing does a great job, but it also eats chains/sprockets and any other part that doesn't have a great protective coating. Plan on washing her when weather permits.

10.) Have fun. I ride all year and wouldn't dream of giving it up, but, I do take extra precautions - like leaving early.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Plenty can happen in that little 5 minute window. The usual drive isn't going to be bad. It's the time you have to swerve away from someone's muffler laying in the middle of the road, grabbing the brakes for an emergency stop, other vehicles sliding around and not paying attention, light turning to dark at 4:30pm, and the weather changing from when you get there to when you leave that are the major concerns.

I legalized a Honda Big Red 3 wheeler to drive to campus when I was in college and the front row parking and gas savings was great but come winter time it sat in the garage.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Back in 1965 to 68, I went to Illinois State University in Normal Illinois. I rode in to class when ever the streets were clear. I was used to riding a bicycle then also. The tires are a much improvement on what I had. You get used to cold. It was either freeze along time, or a few minutes on the bike. It was only a 90cc Honda.

The Industrial arts building, which was my major let me park in between the post of the instructors as long as it was not in the way of them getting in and out of their cars. Seems like I rode it almost everyday, but that was a long time ago to remember.

The folks above have offered up some good suggestions and tips.

My tip is just ride. You will figure out what works and what doesn't work for you. In town roads will be clear and dry most of the time in winter. Don't suggest town riding if the snow is falling, things get slippery very fast!

Good luck! Hope to see a January update on how things are going.
    2007 FZ1

1991 TW200

1972 CB350

2006 Goldwing

2008 WR250R

Hippo Hands. Too expensive to buy, so improvise.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links