Tire refill options
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PalmStateCrawler
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: Tire refill options

I have a jeep and understand the value of dropping tire pressure when in sand and so forth. I have found this also helps very much on the TW. When that front tire is aired up to street pressures it's as squirlly as heck in the sand, even scary. But when its aired down much more controllable. Now i still have the stock tire on and i know it sucks and i plan on getting something different soon. But i still like the option to air down the pressure off road. My question is what do you guys use to air your tires back up when you go back on road. I've seen a few different options like the little CO2 thingy, and seen a couple of you have some kind of little compressor you carry with you. So let me here the good, the bad and the ugly about what you've used.
    2005 TW200

T-dub+rifle+predator calls=FUN!

12v outlet with a small compressor. Mine is a small slime compressor with a light and air pressure gauge. Quick and easy!
    r80rt likes this.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

How do you hook up the 12v
    2005 TW200

T-dub+rifle+predator calls=FUN!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Some people use the cigarette lighter powerpoint adapter mounted up about the handlebar and gauges. The same powerpoint can be used for GPS or charging a cell. I have a solar battery charger that uses a plug so one side can be attached directly to the battery, the other side to the charger. The plug just flops around inside the right side cover when not in use. I have a tiny air compressor that fits where the stock tool kit goes, under the right side cover, that uses the same plug system.

I've used the CO2 system, but you can go through many expensive cartridges in a long weekend. I also carry a small bicycle pump but it is a pain in the shoulders and very time consuming. I've used it once when the CO2 device broke.

I've got a mini CO2 inflater and 7 cylinders taking up half a tool tube.

But I don't air down during my rides I just have it in case I get a flat I have to fix then air back up.

A usual ride for me is

100 miles of pavement 40-65mph

30 miles of logging roads (slow)

100 miles back home

It sucks to live near the city but I'm only 5 miles from my job.

My latest is a modified Slime compressor.

I standard form they're great for airing up and down but self-destruct due to overheating if you're attempting to seat a bead after a flat because the housings are designed by morons. Fortunately this is easily rectified.

Second best in terms of flat repair are the CO2 cartridges, but as Qwerty pointed out, they're an unjustifiable expense and a nuisance for simple airing up and down.

The lightest and most reliable would be a push-pull bicycle pump, but pretty labor-intensive, particularly when it comes to flat repairs.

Here's a Slime unit, for scale:

Some folks pull the pump section out of the housing to keep it from oveheating. The Slime unit will actually cool better if left in the housing because it has a crossflow fan inside, which actually works if you let some air in and out of it. The six tiny little pinholes on the right side of the case are factory. The six 5/16" holes are mine. The outlet side has 6 more. I can now fill a rear tire from dead flat without cooking the compressor:

r80rt likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links