TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

O-ring chain?

20K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
Was looking at my new to me TW200 today, and noticed the chain is stamped D.I.D 428, is that a stock chain, it does have a 47 tooth sprocket, so fingers crossed that it is aftermarket!

#4 ·
Be nice if it was, saves you 70$ and it should easily last 20k miles at the least. Might even outlive the bike! My O-ring chain & sprockets are at 4,500 miles now and all are still like new, in function at least. Chain looks a little dirty cosmetically but it's still fine!

If it the stock chain, may as well run it until it's wasted and get yourself a whole new drive system - 14/47 sprockets if you're mainly using the TW for street riding, and a nice O-ring chain. Whole package shouldn't cost you more than 100$.

#5 ·
The 47 tooth sprocket would make me think it's aftermarket, but without being able to see it . . . . . it should be easy to see if it's o-ring or not, if so, you scored.

Bag

#7 ·
428 V o-ring chains: 130, 124, 122 links? I am getting new sprockets, 14/47,48 or 49. I've read the older models run 14/49? I have a 2010 that i'd like to run at a little lower rpm at 65-70mph and to possibly make it through an intersection in first gear after a red light. What length do I need?

#8 ·
Whatever fits. Stock length is given as 120 or 122 links. 120 fits those TWs that came with 14/45 sprockets installed in some markets. 122 fits those TWs that came with 14/50 sprockets installed in other markets. Different OEM sprockets explains the different chain lengths. It has been reported that 122 links fits 14/47 sprockets just fine.

#49 ·
...It has been reported that 122 links fits 14/47 sprockets just fine.

I ordered via eBay a KMC 428 O-ring chain ($49.50) and a clip master link ($6.75). I installed them along with a 47T rear sprocket. The KMC shortened to 122 links does, indeed, fit, and the chain puller is at position 6.

I also bought a BikeMaster Chain Breaker (P/N 15-1523 for a #25 to #60 chain). It worked perfectly. I did not understand what a "#25 to #60 chain" was but the people at BikeMaster sent me this reply which explained that we have #40 class chains.

REPLY FROM BIKEMASTER:

Yes, you did buy the correct chain breaker. The number #25 - #60 is the ANSI Standard for chains while typically the motorcycle industry use the 420-630 designation. We have found a link that will hopefully help in understanding more.

http://chain-guide.com/applications/1-5-2-motorcycle-chain.html

Thanks,

Daniel Ward

877-848-1320

BikeMaster Products

#10 ·
#12 ·
sqwerty is on the money again. Looked into KMC here and turned away for this reason.

The best alternative to DiD for = $100 is I can find here is 200-428SRO-132L EK O-RING CHAIN R 563.00 = $70

It looks quite good 5300 lbs. for 428SRO

http://www.ekchain.com/offroad.htm

Any experience with EK?

If you look at the company history it seems that they lead and DiD follow. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

http://www.ekchain.com/company.htm

#13 ·
I dunno where you kids went to school, but at the reform school I dropped out of 2300 kg. is a few clicks over 5000 lbs.

Just sayin'.

#14 ·

#15 ·
I missed the units. Are KMG o-ring chains? If not, I still wouldn't use one.

I don't think EK makes a 428SRO chain. Are you sure you're not looking at a 428SROZ chain? If so, it's a good chain. Tdub just got her third. Her last 428SROZ chain lasted 26,000 miles.

#36 ·
I have previously employed the EK 428SROZ drive chain on my Zong; it is an excellent drive chain.
In my opinion, the KMC 428UO drive chain exhibits similar quality at a much better price.
Initially, I didn't care the KMC 428UO drive chain was gold; however, I now really like the appearance of the gold drive chain.

Spud

#16 ·
#17 ·
DuH! so DiD I. Pun intended.

It is an o-ring and comes at $57 as opposed to the DiD O-ring for $87.5 and X-ring for $100. Of course my currency has weakened of late so all prices inflated in the translation, but have not changed locally since. They are also nickle plated so no rust if lube neglected and a more sexy look. Methinks I must invest before the price hike.

BTW the prices I got on EK were higher than KMC and I just discovered wholesale and not available to me - have to go through the dealer, so KMC wins the retail research prize - unless anyone has any undiscovered info. As the economists say ceteris parabis (assuming perfect knowledge). That heavy duty open chain with similar tensile specs comes to me at $16 and is great value for a pavement bike or for the cash strapped who can clean and lube often.

Malcolm

#22 ·
Sounds like a deal. I want to eliminate the maintenance time, so perhaps a good opportunity to upgrade the chains on both. One question: With 2500 miles on the stock chain & sprockets, should I replace the sprockets at the same time?

#24 ·
Sadly yes. That is why I am waiting for another year or so to change chain and sprockets. Keep the oem chain clean and it'll last for +/-10,000 miles. As much as i'd like to not have to tighten the chain every few weeks, I suck it up and clean and tighten it.

I am on the lookout though for the best well priced chain and sprockets to buy for my shelf. No point in throwing a perfectly good chain away. I only upgrade when I HAVE to.

#28 ·
Jdub, we are in the same boat. I'm at notch 4 with @2600 on our 2010. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and upgrade now. I'm $10 bucks into chain lube already on this one and I'll drop another $40 at least before it dies. Plus it's the only annoying maintenance I have to do WAY too often. I'll oil up the original chain and put it on the shelf for backup and enjoy the next many miles not having to get my hands dirty every week or two.

I've been using Dupont Teflon Multi-Use spray and the chain seems fairly happy about that, how are you treating yours?

#29 ·
Wow we really are in the same boat. 2010 w 2600miles. I've been using motul offroad which I just finished off but I will be using something else next time. Ot is a little too sticky. I was thinking of using dupont or chain wax. I think i'm going to wait til I hit around 5000miles to upgrade to the oring per qwertys response to my 10000 idea. Not sure how you do your lubing but I was told an easy way by another forum member. Put the kickstand down and put a car jack under the base of the right peg, I have an extra jack from a previous car that was totaled when I was t-boned at a light. Jack it up til the rear tire lifts off the ground and spin it while you spray. Makes it super easy. It also makes chain adjustments much easier if you dont have a lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.