Joined the crew today :) - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Joined the crew today :)

I would say the minor rust on the chain is the perfect excuse to wrap up a new O-ring chain, put your wife's name on it and slip it under the Christmas Tree. "Merry Christmas My Dear!" Explain that the new chain will significantly extend the life of almost new sprockets; that way you'll have more time and money to buy her flowers in the future.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

As usual, Fred's brilliant.
    admiral, Purple, Tweaker and 2 others like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Just keep those Phillips heads away from any of the screws on a TW. JIS stands for (Japanese Industrial Standard) and a regular Phillips will round them out quick! Fastenal probably has the American equivalent and they list them as Cross Points. Vessel also makes a very good quality mechanics set specifically for MCs in the JIS.

GaryL
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

All Gary's advice is great, but if it were my bike, no matter how few miles are on it, I would remove the gas tank, remove the petcock, clean it gently with an old toothbrush, and dump that gas and two flushes into a container (through the petcock hole) and inspect it with a bright light. I'll bet you will find some crap in there. Mine had some from the factory and never had a drop of Ethanol fuel in it. Now you will know for certain that the tank and filters are as clean as possible. I would probably do it again in five years. It only takes about an hour.

I put an O-ring chain on after 10 miles and never looked back. It's still on there at 15,000 miles.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thank you rocky, i just drained tank. Fuel flowed out the on and reserve like gang busters. I leaned bike over on left side, rocked it and got any remaining fuel i could. Didnt see anything in bottom of tank. I do believe there might be some crap in there as you and gary have said, but im running out of time to have everything ready for new years trip.

This am I turned the pilot or mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out. Filled up with fresh premium and 2oz of seafoam. Started up let warm up for a few minutes and ran it around the block. This damn little bugger is giving me everything shes got all the way through the power band! Easily 60% improvement from what it was. I just cant imagine it running any better.

Do feel a bit sorry for the previous owner, bet he never felt how this bike is supposed to run. Obviously seafoam hasnt had a chance to do its thing, so must have been stale gas and pilot screw adjustment.

Oil change and ill run it for a week on vacation. Will get o ring chain and flush tank when I get back.
    Last edited by Big buford; 12-19-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    littletommy, GaryL, Fred and 1 others like this.

I wish I would have known how fast the original stock chain wears out the sprockets. I had to replace both sprockets at 5,000 miles.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I did have to replace the front sprocket (a 13) at 11,000 miles, but the rear is still fine. Given the condition of the chain and the rear, I ignored the advice to replace chain and sprockets as a unit. So far, so good.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Just for fun, drain the float bowl on the carb. If gas runs out okay, and you can catch and examine it, AND it looks clean and not jellied you are probably good to go.

If the gas is dirty, removing the lower portion of the carb without disconnecting the air box and manifold IS possible. Look for the link here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-cleaning.html
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

Will do fishguy, thanks!
    littletommy likes this.

Don't forget to add a 90*fuel filter.

GaryL and youngfred like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links