going from a sportster 1200 to a tw200
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have wanted a tw200 for quite a while now but I have not had the opportunity to actually ride one. I know it will be great for around town and the light trails to ride with my kids etc. but I do ride back and forth to work about 18 miles each way. Some of it about 10 miles is highway. I could use some alternate roads but I would still have to do a couple highway miles. I also like to ride two up with the wife or kids on the weekends around the backroads out to the beaches etc. we are all pretty small under 5'5" 150. I currently own a sporter 1200 low that is ok but dosn't

allow me the freedom of off road. Anyway I can't afford two bikes Time or money wise (wife and three kids). so I guess the question is am I asking to much of this bike?

You're not asking too much of the TW to do 40 miles a day, but that's going to require a big mental leap in how you ride coming from a 1200. The 10 highway miles would be my only concern on a TW, especially if it's anything like crowded Los Angeles freeways. You'll want to tune your carb to give you some more power for the highway miles, and you can even change the sprockets to get some more top end if you must.

The TW is versatile, and it's great to be able to ride just about anywhere, but it's nothing like anything in the 1200 street bike class, so be prepared for that psychology. Your old street riding buddies will call you a weenie and think you lost it for sure.

Too bad you can't have both, because that would be the ideal.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Don't worry with a little extra experience you will be able to handle the power

Most everyone around here really does 75 on the expressway and commuters more.

They will not see you and then run you over.

It is outside the Japanese to understand that we have 65MPH speed limits

that everyone ignores.

Stay off the expressways or get a different bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The TW sucks for highways 55 and up, but for backroads and just getting around it can't be beat. Efficient, very lightweight which would be a nice change from the 1200. Once you get used to it you will enjoy it more than your 1200 I guarantee!

Yeah it's gonna take some getting used to - you're gonna have a maximum speed of about 70-75 compared to 100-120, and you're gonna have to get used to cruising 55 mph at about 6500-7000 (depending on gearing) compared to the relaxed 2500 or so the 1200 will do. Also, strong headwinds especially combined with hills will make holding even 55 difficult.

If you can live with speeds of 55 and below and the highway isn't super crowded you should be fine in the right lane at 55. If you try to cruise it at 60-70 on the highways you will probably hate it. If you're not gonna do any serious off-roading like steep hill climbs or muddy stuff that requires a lot of low end power, change the gearing to 14/47 which is the best for the street and fine for light trails too.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

i have street tires on mine and anything over 55 still is scary to me. going over 55 with the stock tires scared the hell out of me. i commute on mine, but i just take side streets between 25-40 mph. if you need to go 55-75, i wouldn't recommend a tw.

Thanks for the input guys I still want one. Most of my friends already know I'm a little crazy. And a lot of them think I'm a weenie for riding a sportster with a full face helmet on. I can't wait to pull up on a tw! Oh well they don't know what they are missing they can be cool and I will just keep doing my own thing. Oh yeah hows this thing two up?

I've seen days when 45mph was all Tdub could do, given the conditions, and other days when she wound up to 84mph, given the conditions. Changing sprocket ratios will only add top end going downhill with a tailwind, as the bike won't redline the stock sprockets, unless going downhill with a tailwind. Slightly taller sprockets will allow better roll-out in the lower gears and reduced vibration at highway speeds. Don't get carried away with taller gearing, as too high a ratio results in too much gap between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th--wind her out, shift, and she slows down. Tdub has many highway miles under her tires, including a SS1000. Tdub's highway capabilities improve in traffic due to all the vehicles moving all that air in the right direction. I've done many miles at a sustained 70+mph in traffic due to the reduced aerodynamic drag.

That said, 55mph highways are usually not a problem unless steep hills and strong headwinds. In those conditions, [s]stick to the back roads[/s] take the long way home.

I've never known anyone tooling down a multi-lane highway slower than the traffic who has been run over from behind. Just another old myth like loud pipes save lives. I've challenged many who make such claims to give an actual example, and they always come up with a story about someone slowing down getting hit. Usually if you're in the right lane traffic is slow anyway. Duh. Just Keep an eye on those idiots who try to exit right from 4 lanes to the left. They will get you no matter your speed.

I have a 55t rear sprocket and my TW will do 60 mph all day long as long as the headwinds and hills aren't to bad.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

IDEA

Take the money you will spend on a TW and turn your Sportster into a Dual Sportster.
    2007 FZ1

1991 TW200

1972 CB350

2006 Goldwing

2008 WR250R

I looked into accidents once

About 1/3 is that the cage did not see the bike and ran into it (usually at intersections)

I do not know any specific overrun on a high way but I have lived happily by usually moving 5 to 10 mph than the prevailing traffic and get very nervous seeing them rolling past me.

There are more distracted drivers than ever though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links