My New TW...Some Questions
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My New TW...Some Questions

My New TW...Some Questions

Hey all...picking this bike up tomorrow. It's a 2008 with 4400 miles and sparkling clean. Appears it's never been off road!

Any way I have a couple questions:

Do these bikes usually take several minutes to warm up? I assume this one does because it hasn't been ridden much in a while. Was thinking a couple tanks of gas and Seafoam would be a good start.

Also, The high beam indicator on the instrument panel doesn't light up. The light itself does but not the one on the panel. Any quick fix for that?

Other than that the bike is spotless...getting it for $2000..

I appreciate all responses.....thanks

tw200.jpg

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Very nice! ...and a great deal.

If me, unless I knew it was fresh, I'd drain out any old gas and put that in my truck, get new fresh gas and add a half a can of Seafoam.

I'd also put in an inline fuel filter. These are available at rockymountainavtmc.com or procycle.us, or your local mower repair shop maybe.

They do usually take a bit to warm up because they are tuned super lean from the factory to satisfy EPA and boost and boast MPG. You can read up on jetting after you've grinned from ear to ear riding her for awhile.

Finally, the high beam indicator bulb is probably out. Do a search for this or pilot box for changing these to LEDs. I'm on my phone now, or I'd give you better links.

Welcome!
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Very nice! ...and a great deal.

If me, unless I knew it was fresh, I'd drain out any old gas and put that in my truck, get new fresh gas and add a half a can of Seafoam.

I'd also put in an inline fuel filter. These are available at rockymountainavtmc.com or procycle.us, or your local mower repair shop maybe.

They do usually take a bit to warm up because they are tuned super lean from the factory to satisfy EPA and boost and boast MPG. You can read up on jetting after you've grinned from ear to ear riding her for awhile.

Finally, the high beam indicator bulb is probably out. Do a search for this or pilot box for changing these to LEDs. I'm on my phone now, or I'd give you better links.

Welcome!
    Thanks Larry
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have had to replace the neutral light indicator and the high beam indicator bulb before and found it to be quite simple. Just remove the speedometer and replace the bulbs from the bottom.
    littletommy likes this.

These bikes are usually set lean from the factory. Locate the fuel/air screw under the carb. There may be a plug in place if the previous owner never fiddled with it. Turn in the screw until it seats lightly then turn out 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns. You'll need a short flathead; I use an attachment from a drillbit set with an added dab of paint to keep track of rotations. This will enrich the mixture, lower gas mileage, shorten warm-up time, and give a bit of general pep. Clean gas and Seafoam is an excellent idea in the meantime.
    The indicator is likely a burned out bulb. If the PO ran his high-beam as a running light then that bulb got a lot more use than the others. Replace the dead one or all or them while you're there.

Hope this helps a bit...
    littletommy likes this.

Nice find on the bike. If it runs, that's a good deal. Have fun.
    littletommy likes this.

I've found most people like to extend oil/oil filter changes. I'd go over fasteners and change the oil and filter also air filter. It's not high mileage but it only takes a quart or so, so it's not to costly to do and then you know it's good.
    littletommy likes this.

Install an O-ring chain on it now and you will save money in the future. . My sprockets were damaged at around 5500 miles from the stock chain.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 01-04-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    dette and littletommy like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Congrats on getting your new TW ..... you have come to the right place for help; forum members here have a passion for helping others with their TW's.

Remember, as you continue to mod it out, we like pictures..... we can read but we still like pictures of your mods as well as your adventures.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    I've found most people like to extend oil/oil filter changes. I'd go over fasteners and change the oil and filter also air filter. ...
    No need to buy new oil filters, the OEM filter is designed to be cleaned almost indefinitely. If it isn't an OEM, change it back to one, and be damn sure it has four holes! Air filters can be cleaned and re-oiled until the foam wears out. I'm still on my original oil and air filter at 15,000 miles. I usually change oil twice a year or 2,000 miles, whichever is first.
    littletommy likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links