• 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By Happyhonky
  • 1 Post By 66roadkill66
  • 1 Post By Gulfrider
  • 1 Post By abrinotw

Thread: 87's alive

87's alive

Hello all,

Thought I would introduce you to my new to me, 87. She was recently rescued. Had a tank and carb full of rust. Both were cleaned and with a borrowed battery she came alive. Didnt take long to find out iI had a CDI issue. it has been resolved with a factory new one. She has also receive a fresh oil change, new oil and fuel filter and a coil and now a new battery. Replace coil due to a what sounded like it was arcing through the wire but it still sounds like it has a random periodic miss. Will explore that more later as I was able to get her running and had to call it a day. Either way, here she is..

Thanks for all of the advice on here. It has proven to be priceless.

IMG_0097.JPG

Congrats on getting her running again!

Another 87 survives. Good for you bro!!
    Tweaker likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the congrats. I am certainly excited. Pretty happy with progress so far. At the stage of deciding what it needs vs my wants. It needs some maintenance and I want to ride it.... When I got home this evening I sprayed everything I could find that had a head or a thread with PB blaster. Also cleaned the grease fittings with brake clean and forced some grease through them. The head light is very dim at idle. It does brighten with revs. Dims more than it should at idle though. Will have to look at the electrical system better. I am sure a modern bulb won't hurt the situation.
    littletommy likes this.

The dimming is normal for an 87, don't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhonky View Post
    Thanks for the congrats. I am certainly excited. Pretty happy with progress so far. At the stage of deciding what it needs vs my wants. It needs some maintenance and I want to ride it.... When I got home this evening I sprayed everything I could find that had a head or a thread with PB blaster. Also cleaned the grease fittings with brake clean and forced some grease through them. The head light is very dim at idle. It does brighten with revs. Dims more than it should at idle though. Will have to look at the electrical system better. I am sure a modern bulb won't hurt the situation.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I don't know if any one has told you but the 87s are the fastest of all the tw's.......if they say otherwise it's cause there jealous.....
    littletommy likes this.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

Grats on new bike and getting it running, now tell us the story with the mower fender lol...
    littletommy likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Great job. Now the fun begins.
    littletommy likes this.
    Now:
    2016 TW 200
    2013 400 Honda Rancher
    2016 Honda 200 Recon (spare 4 wheeler)
    1971 Hodaka B Plus,first love
    John Deere 4200 compact - moves snow, tills and cuts grass
    Past:
    Kawasaki 500 H2 1971
    Honda Ascot FT500 1982
    Honda 250 XL

So the mis was actually backfiring through the carb. Adjusted it and it went away. Helped with the headlight dimming also. After lookind at some schematics, the headlight is powered directly from the staitor as opposed to the battery. Will have to research that some more. Took it out this morning, was in the high 20's but was nice to get to ride it. Ran good other than cutting out at high rpm. Not bad since it is running for the first time in who knows how long and I am still dialing it in. Had a lot of fun!!

The mower is a mid 80's kubota with a 2 cylinder diesel. Picked it up this summer as I decided to move from a throw away John Deere mower to a lawn tractor. World of difference between the two.

Sponosred Links