Safe cruising speed for motor?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Safe cruising speed for motor?

Safe cruising speed for motor?

What is the highest cruising speed on the highway a guy should go on his TW before it is too hard on the motor? Stock sprockets and all-around stock bike.

Second, has anybody done the entire Washington back country discovery route on a TW 200 and if so was it awesome or too much for the little T dub?

Thanks for your help in advance guys
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tree.bobby View Post
    What is the highest cruising speed on the highway a guy should go on his TW before it is too hard on the motor? Stock sprockets and all-around stock bike.

Second, has anybody done the entire Washington back country discovery route on a TW 200 and if so was it awesome or too much for the little T dub?

Thanks for your help in advance guys

MaxCruiseSpeedWithAStockBikeIsAbout55MPH.60IsSortO fDoable,[email protected],I'd SuggestChangingTo14/45Or14/44Gearing.
    1911garand and jtomelliott49 like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I can cruise all day at 55 mph with a 13/50 setup. The stock TW will cruise all day at 60 mph....(in flat country). Although these speeds, which equate to about 8,000 RPM (1,500 below redline), will not hurt the engine in the short term, they will accelerate wear to some degree, as well as oil consumption. For short highway stints, anything up to redline is not a problem.....the problem is that you aren't likely to get to redline unless down a hill! (Redline on a stock TW is about 75 mph on the speedo). If you are going to do this kind of riding most of the time, changing to a 14/45 makes sense at lower altitudes....for me at 6,000 feet, it wouldn't work at all, which is why I have a 13/50.

Although I am not familiar with the Washington BCDR, I have looked carefully at Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Colorado. There was nothing in any of those that would have given me pause, as long as I was not trying to keep up with guys on KTM 650's! (something I would NEVER do under any circumstances!
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Some previous threads on the RPM/Speed subject:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ay-speeds.html
    Re: High revs - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...y-your-tw.html

As far as the WABDR, there's nothing I've seen to show that the TW would have any trouble. It may take longer on a TW. I've never done it, but I'd like to do it this year.
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I did some sections of the WABDR on a CT110, the only challenge was not getting run over on paved roads like hwy 2. The TW would be more than up to the task for putting along. We came across some fast riders on KTMs, I'm not interested in that kind of riding.

I ride 30 miles a day, 15 each way to go to work. I leave at 6,500 ft and I can go 60/65mph with no problem, I don't feel I'm going to kill my little TW. Now I'm using a 14/47 and it seams better to me than the stock 14/50. I have to say though that I'm 140lb so being on the light side helps!!

I don't have a tachometer so I can't tell Rpm's, but for me anything above 45mph feels a little high in the revs for an extended period of time. I know it's a little piston, but there are still a lot of moving parts (valves etc) in the top end. I'm just the type of person that doesn't like to rev 4 strokes. So if it were me I'd change the sprockets to the rpms at higher speeds.

Also if you think of it from the point of view that running your motor at 8000 rpm's down the highway for an hour vs 4000 rpm's, you've turned your motor over twice as many times and that's twice the possible wear and tear on everything.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

I'm running 14/45 gears and like to cruise along at 45. Max about 55. After that it just seems like the rpm are too high. I have had it to 70 and it was wrung out and screaming. My speedo is red after 55 mph. Maybe wide open banshee screaming causes the famous base gasket leak?

Ken
    55-65 all the time. For safeties sake though don't hold up traffic. Follow a slow car if on the freeway. They do guzzle a whole lot more gas at full throttle though.

I SOOOO disagree with the consensus on the forum....I think with stock gearing, 45 MPH is the upper safe/comfortable limit for extended running. I have no idea what RPM that actually is. I base this solely on my mechanical/riding experience. There is no basis in science here....At above 45Mph the engine is noisey, vibrates and buzzes alot. It just feels like I am ringing it's neck! The real sweet spot is at about 35 to 40 MPH IMO. My normal cruise speed is 35MPH and the bike just feels "happy" at that speed.

People talk about oil consumption and leaking base gaskets....These seem to be the same people who advocate extended high speed running.

This is just my opinion and most people here seem to disagree with me on this and that is OK....It would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed on everything all the time!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links