GPS survive vibrations
Close
    Mounted 76cx on a RAM mount on handlebars. At 50mph plus if feels kinda like a soniccare tooth brush. Lots of high frequency vibrations.

I wrapped a couple of rubber bands in the appropiate spots to help isolate the GPS a little.

Any one have any survival rates for this type of setup?

Another option would be to mount it to a tank bag thus isolating it from a lot of the vibrating.

Many stories of GPS going thousands of miles on a handle bar mount but most of them are on bigger bikes with less or at least lower frequency vibrations.

I use this method sometimes.

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Last Christmas got an eTrex. It has a handlebar specific mount. I swap a special battery cover for the regular one and it slips and clicks into the mount. Been using it all year without any vibration issues at both low and high speeds. xdac has a good "dust & waterproof cover" which looks like it would also help hold the gps in a ram mount.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

4-5,000 TW miles and a few Iron Butts on bigger bikes with my 60CSX on a Ram mount. Hasn't missed a beat, and no prophylactic measures have been required.

Must be an Az. thing

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I too have an eTrex with Garmin's handlebar mount on my TW. I really like the unit, but I have had a series of problems: after a variable number of miles on either dirt or pavement, the unit shuts off and stops recording my TrackLog (my favorite feature of carrying a GPS — I'm pretty good on navigating myself.)

I have had the unit replaced three times, but each one continues to do the spontaneous shut-off. I have used fresh batts, of alkiline, NiMh and Lithium chemistry. Each batt still results in the shutoff.

Then I tried carrying the GPS on a lanyard hung around my neck: no more shut-offs — even with very low batt power — and so far I can only suspect that it is due to the reduced vibration while hung around my neck.

Any thoughts?

John

I've been using my Garmin Rino mounted to my handle bars with a RAM mount for almost two years now. Its rock solid and the GPS doesn't seem to be affected by vibrations because of the rubberized pivots on the RAM mount. I'm very happy with it.

If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by ezman671 View Post
    Mounted 76cx on a RAM mount on handlebars. At 50mph plus if feels kinda like a soniccare tooth brush. Lots of high frequency vibrations.

I wrapped a couple of rubber bands in the appropiate spots to help isolate the GPS a little.

Any one have any survival rates for this type of setup?

Another option would be to mount it to a tank bag thus isolating it from a lot of the vibrating.

Many stories of GPS going thousands of miles on a handle bar mount but most of them are on bigger bikes with less or at least lower frequency vibrations.

If your are worried check out Touratech they have isolated mounts for various GPS units. They are well built but pricy.

I have had one Garmin fail due to vibration issues that was hard mounted to the handlebars using Ram Mounts since 2001.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Oregon 300 on a ram on a VEE strom ~ 2000 miles not problem

probably less shaking but intend on moving to TW and dont

anticipate problems

I have the same RAM mount as Rainman, with my CSX60, no issues. I had heard a while ago that the best way to increase the longevity of GPS devices on off road motorcycles was to remove the batteries and wire in a power supply form the battery (with a fuse of course) no unintended "switch offs" or anything else for that matter.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

I put about 45,000 miles on a Garmin 276C in a Ram mount on the handlebar of my DR650, and used it for some of the Trans America Trail and all of the Continental Divide Trail. Then I moved that GPS to a Touratech vibration isolated mount on an R1200GS Adventure where it has been for the last 60,000 miles of highways, forest roads and single track. It has never failed.
    GapRunr

Current bikes TW200 * R1200GS ADV * R80g/s * KLR250 Miami Vice Edition * Hawk GT - For sale!

Sponosred Links