Stunned
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Stunned

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH

Stunned

I have been a subscriber to Motorcycle Consumer News for a few years and recently saw an article by David Hough in the Nov. 2016 issue that stated that "around 4,000" motorcyclists per year are killed on US roads. That's about 80 deaths per state and a little over 6 per month. David further states that motorcycle drivers are 35 times more likely to die in a fatal accident than car drivers. Holy Smokes, I knew this was a dangerous sport but never realized just how dangerous. I feel lucky to have survived 61 years of this sport I love.

Be careful my friends, Will
    Lomax, Mel, littletommy and 7 others like this.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Only thing you can do is look out for yourself. I've had several close calls but I'm still here!

As I contemplate teaching my wife and daughter how to ride I have to keep in mind how much I want to initially scare them with my MC philosophy of "always ride like everyone is out to kill you" and "think of yourself as invisible to all other drivers on the road" (as in Gee, I didn't see him/her).
    Sounds terrible but living around NYC most of my life and surviving (so far) on 2 & 3 wheels since I was 16 you get used to more driving crazies bunched together to tightly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    In England it's called a SMIDSY......sorry mate, I didn't see you. I've read that if you see a vehicle ready to pull out in front of you, you should start weaving from one side of your lane to the other. The theory is that you attract more attention that way. Someone told me recently they suggest that for bicyclists as well.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    High viz clothing, protective gear (ATGATT), headlight and tailight modulators, situational awareness, and EDUCATION from a proper motorcycle safety rider course as well as common sense can do a lot to help you enjoy the sport as well as staying alive and unhurt.

Wear a gun. Other drivers can see that even though they are half a mile away.
    They can't see a motorcycle but they can see a gun.
    Phelonius

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I saw a video about SMIDSY, and have been weaving like a drunken sailor when I ride.
    It works.
    The people who see you think you are crazy and keep away from you.

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    In England it's called a SMIDSY......sorry mate, I didn't see you. I've read that if you see a vehicle ready to pull out in front of you, you should start weaving from one side of your lane to the other. The theory is that you attract more attention that way. Someone told me recently they suggest that for bicyclists as well.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    How VERY true.

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    Wear a gun. Other drivers can see that even though they are half a mile away.
    They can't see a motorcycle but they can see a gun.

williamemack;457434].... Holy Smokes, I knew this was a dangerous sport but never realized just how dangerous...
    Yeah, and it's a whole lot more dangerous if you ride a Harley and never take a motorcycle safety course!

A safe rider's philosophy is to see and identify threats as soon as possible and take action. You can't do this effectively if you have never encountered nor thought about what sort of threats you might see, other than the obvious left turner or stop sign runner. This is why books like David Hough's are SO worth reading. I had been riding on and off for 50 years when I first read one of his books and I thought "WOW!, I didn't know that!" about every 10 pages. I bought a couple of his other books and re-read them every spring.

Just telling new riders that they should assume every cager is out to kill them isn't nearly enough. They have to be taught, via courses or books, all the myriad ways that this can happen (as well as accidents they could have all by themselves), and what clues will help them identify these specific threats and learn almost automatic responses thought out well in advance to avoid them. Experienced riders play a whole lot of "what if" games in their minds while riding.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 01-09-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I think our worst threat out there now is idiots on phones.Every where you look people are
    looking at them,its worse than drunk driving.Keep an eye on your mirrors at lights because
    everyone is looking at them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links