Welding on theTW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am going to have a part repaired on my bike by using a welder. My question is do I have to remove any electrical components on the bike so the welding doesn't fry them?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Ive always taken the ground off the battery
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Hi

in the past I've had some experence with my Dad and his work mates welding on cars. Remove the battery ! Arc welding causes arcing across gears # it's a subject of great debate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Make sure the ground clamp is close to where you're welding and make sure you have a good ground, even if you have to grind some paint off the frame. Never get any electrical or engine parts between the ground and the electrode while welding you can screw up bearings or burn out eletrical components.

I welded a bottom rail and back brace on the cyclerack and did nothing to battery on the bike, it still runs perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
    I welded a bottom rail and back brace on the cyclerack and did nothing to battery on the bike, it still runs perfect.

Many people have played "Russian Roulette" and lived... your point?
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I had my frame welded with gussets. I pulled the battery, the coil, disconnected or removed anything with a diode in it, and pulled the fuse. The welder knew enough to ground right next to the work, but I was in a belt- and- suspenders mood. Only a few minutes time both in and out. No regrets, but likely overdoing it. If I had been working away from the center of the bike like the rear rack I would not have been so fussy. -GB

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    I had my frame welded with gussets. I pulled the battery, the coil, disconnected or removed anything with a diode in it, and pulled the fuse. The welder knew enough to ground right next to the work, but I was in a belt- and- suspenders mood. Only a few minutes time both in and out. No regrets, but likely overdoing it. If I had been working away from the center of the bike like the rear rack I would not have been so fussy. -GB

You did the right thing.

I would rather spend a few minutes pulling plugs than scratching my head trying to find electrical faults and then spending money on something that failed because I was too lazy to do it right.

Thanks. The diode idea was my own. Anybody else have a thought about their vulnerability? I took off the coil since it was to close, nothing more.

GB

I welded my XT tank mount on. The battery ground wasn't connected but that was because I was working on the electrics, not because of the welding. I did happen to ground on the piece I was welding on. Since I am a poor welder I had to grind the welds off and re-weld in a couple of places. Everything still works.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links