I was looking for a parts bike
Close

As the title says I was looking for a parts bike and ran across this '87 TW that matches the one I have. It came with the other kind of tires, an XT gas tank, a spare brand new CDI , an extra battery that turned out to be good, a big box of spare parts and a clean, up to date title. The electric start didn't work and it didn't charge the battery but it did run very well. I offered $400, the seller countered with $450, I accepted and we loaded it up.

I brought it home and using the spare parts I found in the box of extras got the starter to work and now it charges the battery. I barely touch the starter button and it burst into life. The gas tank is rusty and needs a cleaning. It also needs to be anchored on the back end. The three seals need replacing as it leaks oil from somewhere on that side. I cleaned the chain and found it to be an o-ring in pretty good shape, as is the rear sprocket. I can't tell about the front sprocket yet. The muffler is off a GXSR (?) and has a very nice non-TW sound to it. It is also non-forest service approved but I don't care. A friend looked at it and advised I would be crazy to use it for parts as it has the potential to be nicer than the one I already have.

So now I have two TW's, one for the dirt and one for the street. How sweet is that?

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Very cool. I use my 2004 for the street and my 1987 in the dirt. I'm pretty sure I need a new cdi for the 1987 though. Will you be selling extra new cdi?
    1987 TW200

2000 Yamaha XT350

2005 Yamaha Majesty

2009 Honda Ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
    Very cool. I use my 2004 for the street and my 1987 in the dirt. I'm pretty sure I need a new cdi for the 1987 though. Will you be selling extra new cdi?

I know if I sell the CDI I will need it. Sorry, but I am keeping it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great find! Factory rear rack and looks like front fender was raised. you gonna put it down to stock spot or get splashed with mud and water?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Sponosred Links