TW steering wobble and crash!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TW steering wobble and crash!

TW friends. I was riding a TW for the first time yesterday (2007 blue/white) with my best friend in southern Arizona. I have ridden motorcycles plenty during my life, and I'm not new to bikes or riding them off-road. We were riding down a FLAT, STRAIGHT, GRADED dirt road with light washboarding. I was cruising a constant/steady 40-45mph (per the speedo) following my buddy (no racing, no goofing off, just flat, straight cruising) and suddenly the steering began to whip back and forth very slightly. I noticed it and thought, "I'm sure it'll stop in a sec..." but no, it continued. I didn't break, just let off the throttle and tried to stop the wobble...but I wasn't worried about it. Then the wobble picked up gradually till it dumped me and the TW at about 35mph. Screwed up the bike and my entire body. I felt like an idiot in front of my friend, not to mention his father-in-law that lent me the bike.

Why did that happen? I've never heard of this happening before and it has me very concerned about ever getting back on a bike again when I can't pinpoint WHY it happened. I have spent many hours riding dirt bikes off road, and I consider myself a good rider. If I can't even ride down a wide, flat, straight, smooth dirt road without dumping the bike...and I can't determine how to prevent such a wreck again in the future, I'll stick to four wheels.

Is this a tendency the TW has? The tires on the bike are perfect and the bike WAS perfect. I studdied steering wobble on wikipedia and just wish I knew why it happened. I've always wanted a TW and now I don't think I do.

You never forget your first tankslapper.

As I'm sure you've discovered, there are many causes. You need to find the cause of yours.

There's something wrong with the bike.

Fork oil (absence thereof), unequal rear snail adjusters, worn swingarm bushings, loose or totaled stem bearings, tire balance, worn lowers, tubes dropped too high in the triples, loose upper triple, axle bearings, twisted frame, misaligned fork tubes, loose axle nuts, etc. etc.

For future reference, the way to handle a tankslapper (especially on a bike that's strange to you) is to push forward equally on the bars and slow down while it's still in the minor "speed wobble" category. If you wait til it enters the tankslapper category you may fall down, die nice.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When in doubt gas it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

something has to be wrong with that bike. Let us know what you find.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I've had this happen to me before, but not on a TW. Of course there could be something wrong with the TW, but in my case the motorcycle I was riding, XT500, was in good shape mechanically. What caused my wobble? It was the road. I hit a soft area in the gravelish/sandy road service which I couldn't see, when bam, the steering went back and forth uncontrolably. Fortunately, in my case I did not crash, but it was pretty close call. Took me over a week to be able to go to the bathroom. Took that long for my butt pucker to release!
    grewen and Gerry like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I don't think a wobble in an instance like that means there has to be something wrong with the bike. I hit a bump on interstate 70 in ohio one time on thr sv and had a nasty wobble. That's the only wobble I've ever had in 28,000 miles on that bike. Had the same thing happen when i was a kid on the rm80 while hauling but across a con field. You could have just hit something just right. My tw sometimes gets a wobble at around 60ish mph. The sr244 I put on it took moore weight to balance than what I liked. I know the wobble is from the tire so if it does it I just push forward on the bars like lizrdbrth said and it usually quits. It never hurts to investigate though.

Hey atleast with 4 wheels you dont have to put your foot down when you come to a stop
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

A wobble that you can ride through is an entirely different critter than a tankslapper.If you've never been there, count yourself lucky.

A flat washboard road shouldn't induce one.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I used to have speed wobble on my 2005 until I added a 2" bar riser and hand guards. Some on this forum have speculated this just masked the real issue. Basically now I am always pulling back on the bars which prevents the wobble from starting.

My suspicion is the stock front tire is to blame. Those two rows of soft knobs may not provide enough lateral support to prevent harmonic resonance.

Although the fork oil is an interesting theory too...
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

Quote Originally Posted by creed82 View Post
    TW friends. I was riding a TW for the first time yesterday (2007 blue/white) with my best friend in southern Arizona. I have ridden motorcycles plenty during my life, and I'm not new to bikes or riding them off-road. We were riding down a FLAT, STRAIGHT, GRADED dirt road with light washboarding. I was cruising a constant/steady 40-45mph (per the speedo) following my buddy (no racing, no goofing off, just flat, straight cruising) and suddenly the steering began to whip back and forth very slightly. I noticed it and thought, "I'm sure it'll stop in a sec..." but no, it continued. I didn't break, just let off the throttle and tried to stop the wobble...but I wasn't worried about it. Then the wobble picked up gradually till it dumped me and the TW at about 35mph. Screwed up the bike and my entire body. I felt like an idiot in front of my friend, not to mention his father-in-law that lent me the bike.

Why did that happen? I've never heard of this happening before and it has me very concerned about ever getting back on a bike again when I can't pinpoint WHY it happened. I have spent many hours riding dirt bikes off road, and I consider myself a good rider. If I can't even ride down a wide, flat, straight, smooth dirt road without dumping the bike...and I can't determine how to prevent such a wreck again in the future, I'll stick to four wheels.

Is this a tendency the TW has? The tires on the bike are perfect and the bike WAS perfect. I studdied steering wobble on wikipedia and just wish I knew why it happened. I've always wanted a TW and now I don't think I do.
    I don't believe anyone on this forum is going to be able to answer your concerns with any authority as no one can actually examine the bike but a good going over is certainly great advice. I do understand you not trusting the bike until you can identify what caused the problem. What I would suggest is that the tw200 is not designed to be great at anything, only good at most things. When the front end of my bike gives me feedback that something is going wrong I worry about it right away and make corrections to prevent things going from bad to worst. Being unfamiliar with the tw 200 on a gravel road of any condition at 45 MPH is in my opinion is a bit too quick. I try to stay under 65 KPH even when the roads look good. The TW does have limitations and I think if you understand them and are willing to live with them you will enjoy the bike . It's always a crap shoot when you go down on a bike and I'm glad to hear you survived.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links