Clarke Gas Tank expansion?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was required to replace my gas tank(rust) on my recent acquisition (1993 TW with 700 miles)-so I purchased the Clarke tank-early August. Initial installation of the tank-no problem-and the side plastic panels tabs were modified to fit(zip ties). I removed the tank there after for a future valve adjustment. The tank contained about 1.5 gallons on gasoline-and was placed on the garage floor for 2 weeks (away from direct sunlight-but still gets hot in Vegas).

Last night after the valve adjustment was completed reassembly of the tank on the bike was implemented-same procedure as before. This time the tank mounting tabs would not align up Mounting the rear tab would cause the front bolt assembly not to align-as would if the front bolt was mounted first-the rear tab would no align. Of course Clarke hasn't heard of this-which I will be sending their tank back for review(I ordered another one for replacement-hopefully they'll credit me on the initial tank purchase)

Am I missing something????
    1993 TW/1200 origional miles/FMF/Clarke Tank/Pro Bend Hand Guards/Pro Taper chain/Larger Foot Pegs/Pro Taper grips/PIAA 35w/Cyclorack/LED stock turn signal conversion/Storage tubes/Kenda 270 5.10 front tire/Glock 45 Handle Bar mount(for the desert runs)!

Looks like a cable or wiring harness between the rubber biscuit and tank.

The front part of the tank is bolted to the frame as it was in the initial install(with no problems-both front and rear tab)). Seem like the tank warped or "stretched" while it was placed on the floor(with 1.5 gallons in the tank). The harness(or related) can be moved-but the rear tab won't align up-never mind the rubber bushing.
    1993 TW/1200 origional miles/FMF/Clarke Tank/Pro Bend Hand Guards/Pro Taper chain/Larger Foot Pegs/Pro Taper grips/PIAA 35w/Cyclorack/LED stock turn signal conversion/Storage tubes/Kenda 270 5.10 front tire/Glock 45 Handle Bar mount(for the desert runs)!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bruisr View Post
    The front part of the tank is bolted to the frame as it was in the initial install(with no problems-both front and rear tab)). Seem like the tank warped or "stretched" while it was placed on the floor(with 1.5 gallons in the tank). The harness(or related) can be moved-but the rear tab won't align up-never mind the rubber bushing.

Certainly a conundrum. I wonder if there was alcohol in the gas that contributed to the problem.

I wonder if it would have shrunk back if you put it in the freezer?
    Brad Lamar

2006 TW

Moose Barkbusters

Skidplate

Tusk Risers

IMS Pegs

Stearns Seatcover

Here's a read about a guy with a 2010 Ducati. He thinks ethanol enriched fuels caused his tank to expand...

http://www.ducati.ms...ead.php?t=94093

"Had my bike in for the 7500 mile service on Monday, and we discovered that the tank has clearly expanded. Quite a bit actually.

Enough that when you turn the handlebar to the right, the top triple clamp now hits the tank. Also, when we tried to put the tank back on after doing the valves, the filler cap for the radiator now hits and has dug in a few mm into the tank. We had trouble getting it back on, because it was hitting the radiator filler before the tank even got on far enough to line to hole up with the bolt that secures it.

Bike is only 6 months old and it has expanded a lot!

Dealer took tons of pics and already submitted a warranty claim to DNA, so we shall see what happens.

I knew something weird was up when my Tech-Spec "Gripster" tank pads started looking funny. The adhesive backing is exposed about 2mm all the way around the black rubber pad. Looks like the pad shrank, but what really happened is that the tank expanded and pulled the adhesive film with it, while the rubber pad is too think and hard to stretch so it remained the same size, exposing the adhesive layer.

What I want to know, is how the hell they let this happen? They know that the US uses Ethanol in the gas, for years, and they know that tank expansion has been an issue for a couple years at least. Why the hell is a 2010 model still shipping with the old tanks that they know are a problem in this country? __________________"

Other peoples tanks have started to sag...

http://www.webbikewo...1000/fuel-tank/

My Clarke shrunk. I checked the valves today and when I put the tank back on the holes for the tabs on the side covers fit fine. They had'nt fit before. The side cover tabs where ahead of the holes. Now they line up pretty close to exactly.

I bet it is just that all the pieces - the side covers, the tank, the front tank bolt - have just enough play that it can affect how they all go together.

I guess we could all measure our Clarkes and see if they change dimensions in different temps, with different fuel amounts loaded.

Goose
    Hold back the edges of your gowns, Ladies, we are going through hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgoose View Post
    My Clarke shrunk. I checked the valves today and when I put the tank back on the holes for the tabs on the side covers fit fine. They had'nt fit before. The side cover tabs where ahead of the holes. Now they line up pretty close to exactly.

I bet it is just that all the pieces - the side covers, the tank, the front tank bolt - have just enough play that it can affect how they all go together.

I guess we could all measure our Clarkes and see if they change dimensions in different temps, with different fuel amounts loaded.

Goose
    I really regret starting this post -and I have had numerous friends who have had bikes review this situation (no-I didn't make this up!). The tank did change in conformity when placed on the garage floor( for 2 weeks) with 1/2 tank(about) of gas in it. Clarke is sending a replacement-and I'll be shipping the old one back to them. As far as the earlier reply of placing the tank in the freezer...are you serious!

I was half serious and half joking. I have no real idea how much it would have shrunk in the freezer, but it would have shrunk.

Might have been enough to get it back together before it warmed back up.

Brad
    Brad Lamar

2006 TW

Moose Barkbusters

Skidplate

Tusk Risers

IMS Pegs

Stearns Seatcover

I have a plastic tank off of a Polaris ATV that I cut the bottom out of for an EATV conversion. In this 90F plus heat that thing moves all over the place! I have to keep reminding myself that it's plastic and these rotomoldable plastics do that when it's hot outside. We left the kids plastic kayaks on the roof rack for a couple days one summer and the dang things started to comform themselves to the poles on the rack. The kayak dealer was even selling some deformed kayaks he had left in a storage trailer and my old windsurfer would flatten out with time so I had to reshape it by putting it out in the sun on makeshift forms.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links