• 1 Post By Butch
  • 3 Post By joeband
  • 1 Post By socalnative
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Butch

Thread: Drought

Drought

I don't care how much it rains and snows the drought will never be over in California -- just ask a politician!

National Forest Foundation News and Happenings in California

draught.jpg
    Last edited by elime; 01-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    socalnative, Lomax and bad luck like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

It's going to take multiple years of above average rainfall to replenish the aquifers that the Central Valley has drawn down to flood irrigate their thirsty crops like cotton, rice and almonds.
    Tweaker likes this.

and it's going to take recognition that we live in a unequally distributed state, where the ever-growing population (with equally growing demand) is located at the opposite end from the majority of the water supply.

conservation methods have kept individual use requirements less than before, but as the number of users goes up... people have railed against "the government in my toilet" but those "silly regulations" have reduced personal water consumption to rates equal to 40+ years ago.

we live in a dry state and as the famous saying goes: whiskey's for drinkin', but water... now thats for fightin'!
    Tweaker, Fred and Lomax like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank God we still have big rivers and valleys to dam up.
    The entire Merced river watershed including Yosemite valley, the San Joaquin River drainage, the Kern river drainage, and the Tuolumne river drainage including Hetch Hetchy valley...oh wait that's already been done.
    So I guess that's one less dam we have to make.
    Lomax likes this.

And don't forget to sustain California's agricultural productivity the Central Valley needs a large surplus of fresh water to flush existing salt accumulations from arable irrigated lands that is not soon forthcoming. This has been an unresolved demand on limited freshwater reserves for decades. More people, less water, less yet more expensive food continue to create challenges for politicians hoping to remain in office.
    Lomax likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    Thank God we still have big rivers and valleys to dam up.
    T
    There is also the Round Valley by Covelo, Calif. That would make a nice big reservoir -- the Calvary might have to be sent it to move the Indian out if they don't go peaceably. A big dam was also planned for the Middle Fork of the American River though I think it has been put on hold.

I love a good drought! Warm, sunny weather. Long days of riding my TW endlessly about. It is all this precipitation that is screwing things up. Oh well, maybe next year the drought will be back.
    Last edited by elime; 01-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Lomax likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Here's an interesting page that shows how our recent drought has affected water use broken down by water districts.

I love a good drought! Warm, sunny weather. Long days of riding my TW endlessly about. It is all this precipitation that is screwing things up.
    I won't go so far as to say I like a drought, but I do like warm, sunny weather.

We just had 5" in the Santa Ana Mts. and that'll keep the gates to the National Forest closed for weeks.
    elime likes this.

There's pretty cool experimention going on especially now with all the run off of recharging the aquifers by flooding the fields. Some almond farmers are probably profiting by agreeing to have their fields flooded. They will be compensated if there is damage. Catalina daughter is a hydrologist actually a ground water modeler. While at UCDavis working on her doctorate they were running large scale ground water models of the whole central valley. Kinda of a fantasy if you ask me but what the heck. The weather in the drought was kinda nice but it is really nice to see the record snow pack in parts of the sierras.

Groundwater law, winter rain trigger flood of aquifer-recharge experiments around California ? The Mercury News

Here's a better article.

https://earthzine.org/2016/02/23/rec...hing-aquifers/
    Last edited by Tweaker; 01-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Sponosred Links