Whats the best rack to haul your TW?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Whats the best rack to haul your TW?

Whats the best rack to haul your TW?

Looking to find the best way to haul my Tdub from place to place, what's the best 2" receiver type rack to use?

There are lots of posts regarding this. Both positive and negative. Browse through them and I'm sure you'll find opinions for your type of vehicle (or at least similar).

Joe Hauler, out of Ca. makes a great hauler. Good to 500 lbs and wide enough for the TW rear wheel

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I use a three rail trailer. Light weight and easy to load. And most important cheep.
    Me and my white mule

Senior Member DARIVS ARCHITECTVS's Avatar
    I also use a light weight trailer. My F150 truck has a Class 2 hitch but uses too much gas for long trips. I wish the 2004 Chevy Impala had a hitch so I could mount a motorcycle carrier on it, but the hitches they make for that car are only Class 1 hitches. Maybe I'll just put a Class 1 hitch on it and use the trailer. More opportunity to accessorize ! !
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1 11. Panzerdivision
    2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
    2010 Yamaha TW200 (cuz it's cute)

heard pretty good things about the versa haul. I personally have a home made one because non of the factory options were quite right for my set up, but that versa haul looks pretty good. Dont buy cheap shit. You'll reqret it!
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Hey man, yeah this gets discussed a lot, so that's probably why you aren't getting a lot of traction on this thread. I'll try to break it down...First, the TW is a pretty heavy bike to use on a carrier. Do it if you must, but make sure your vehicle and hitch set up are up to the challenge. Short wheel base jeeps, etc. have their handling effected, and hitches under grade IV have been tweaked. Then, only get a quality carrier. The Versahauler is the one I have seen and recommend. The jack up style ones are well built too. It is preferred to use a trailer of some sort.

If the forum search is not working well for you, then use your favorite search engine like Bing or Google. Limit the search to the forum site by typing in the search bar...

site:tw200forum.com versahauler (or whatever search term you want)
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I can speak from a little experience. I had one design the first go around and I can tell you that didnt have a burly enough stinger. because of this the bike would wiggle out there and and drive me to drinking with the feedback through the steering. This was on a 2500 truck that I didnt figure to have much issue. I went to a dual stinger set up and wow what a difference. I dont think everyone needs this, but the point of the story is that make sure you get something stout.

heres what I have ended up with
    Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
    admiral, BkCntryCrwlr and Ken like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I have a Joe hauler model JH03. I love it and both my tw and Ktm fit great. I've owned a few different ones over the years and the Joe hauler is superior. It has a cam lock system to keep the bike from rocking in the hitch, and the ramp mounts to the rack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    admiral and Ken like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Kilchesrider View Post
    Looking to find the best way to haul my Tdub from place to place, what's the best 2" receiver type rack to use?
    I don't know about "best". That would be hard to determine considering how many different makers there are out there.
    I bought this one off Amazon because , well, 2 day delivery and I had to have one for buying my TW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rage Powersports AMC-400

It works. I have used it to haul a TW200 for over 3 hours of carrying so far. I also had to use it once to recover the TW after I broke a chain in the woods.

I can load it alone no problem. It does require a little pre-planning and care to make sure the tie-downs are already very handy when loading. Also I bought some nylon handlebar loops so the tie-down hooks never touch the TW. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have even updated the carrier to make it safer. I installed a trailer light kit onto the rack and I connect it to my trailer plug. The TW hides my SUV brake lights. This makes things much safer. A few pictures, but the rack is not on my SUV.

IMG_3151.JPGIMG_3152.JPGIMG_3153.JPGIMG_3154.JPG
    Last edited by ToolmanJohn; 01-28-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Add Pictures
    Ken likes this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links