Offroad vehicle flags..your thoughts and experiences?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Offroad vehicle flags..your thoughts and experiences?

Offroad vehicle flags..your thoughts and experiences?

So I recently noticed many ATVs and some other offroad vehicles sporting whip flags. To me they seem fun like you're driving a remote control, and it makes you more visible over hills. To those unfamiliar they can be lit up with LEDs or just a tall flexible pole with a small flag.

I ordered a spring mount to hold and prolong the life of my flag pole (driveway marker) with a pennant flag mounted on it. Ironically the set screw is drilled off center at the top of the spring so I'm concerned it may actually shorter the life of the pole because the edge of the screw is chewing into the pole. I may have to drill/tap another hole. I have it all assembled and I'm just waiting for my heatshrink to cover the orange fiberglass pole.

Once it's complete I'll post it up but since it's too cold/slippery to ride I'm curious to hear your experiences or opinions about them...What do ya think?
    littletommy, Lomax and Ken like this.

Considering the numerous head-ons in the video of this thread...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...n-video-2.html

...a flag may be helpful in areas such as sand dunes, although probably some wind resistance at speed.
    littletommy, Ken and Lomax like this.

I'm tempted to say it's a good idea - in theory - but having watched this one https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...urn-video.html I doubt that a flag would have done much good.

Most of those crashes (head ons) were the result of going too fast to stop - or watching the trail rather than the flag on the horizon telling you what's coming - though I did enjoy the guys blocking the road over a crest (no accounting for stupidity)

Still - if it saves you or someone else even once, it's worth doing ......
    littletommy and Lomax like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good in open areas with no trees and low brush, sand dunes etc. In the woods, not so much. Plus you could have the flag hitting overhead branches and what not but I'm guessing your not talking about riding in the woods.
    Purple, Lomax, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I see a lot of trucks and atvs on logging roads. The ATVs are often sliding out of control and seeing their flag over the crest of a hill has given me a little more time to to prepare myself.

Mine has a thumb/set screw so I can remove it to go into the trails,
    Lomax, Ken and littletommy like this.

The flag is a requirement in many sand dune riding areas for good reasons. I would likely keep catching my boot on the pole while getting on and off the bike.
    Did I just say "Getting off" on a family forum? Sorry kids, cover your eyes.
    Lomax, admiral and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

yup, it's the law in places like Pink Corral Sands State park
    Lomax, ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

How common are "one way trails" over there - seems to make a lot of sense ......
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

a flag would've impaled that guy that landed on top of the other racer in the jump. almost deserved it
    littletommy likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Some of us rebellious former colonials have a hard time reading and following instructions so the few "One Way Trails" are no guarantee of one way traffic.
    Moab's Sand Flat Recreation Area for one has installed "One Way" signs on several trails but I saw incomplete compliance and no enforcement efforts last year.
    Towing Plumbstraight's miss-behaving TW out of Fins-n-Things we took a few wrong turns as the rental side-byside we hijacked seemed to be totally lost. No one heading opposite directions complained, just looked at us funny.

Edit: Randall's machine suffered a stator failure with out any prior warning at bottom of a sand pit at edge of a steep rocky climb. Not a good place for a breakdown.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-28-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    admiral, Tweaker, ejfranz and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links