114 miles today
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 114 miles today

114 miles today

Corn Creek Springs, Alamo Road on Desert Wild Life Refuge, Cold Creek Road and Lee Canyon ride:

The TW is now one month old, 496 miles on the clock (114 today) and behaves fully broken-in, but I will continue to not hold WOT for another 200-300 more miles.

Today’s observations:

1. Up a 6% grade, even at ~5,000 feet, it will pull 50-55 (trying to not yet sustain WOT) MPH in 5th gear.

2. Up an 8% grade, at over 5,000 feet, it will only pull 45 MPH in 5th gear at ~90% throttle.

3. On the level, or even up a mild grade, at 3,000 to 4,000 feet, it will pull 65 MPH with some throttle left.

4. With a slight down grade, I saw 77 MPH on the speedo a few times, sitting up straight. If speedo is optimistic by 6%, that would be 73 MPH, true. Did not hold WOT more than a few seconds, each time. On Highway 95, returning to Las Vegas, a steady cruise at 65 MPH was comfortable (excluding seat).

5. A 70+, no issue with tire handling (21 PSI front & 24 PSI rear) on asphalt.

6. Do not plan at cruising over 65 MPH. Mirror clearness starts to diminish at 57 MPH.

7. Working it, I cannot count on more than 62 MPG. Even with adding 32 ounces of TruFuel, it went to reserve at 95 miles on the trip odometer. Fill-up at 107 miles was 1.5 gallon, plus 0.25 gallon TruFuel = 1.75 gallon. Without the spare can (1 of 2), fill-up would have been with only 0.05 gallon left in the tank.

8. Oil change was 200 miles ago, but oil level is the same, even after the high speed bursts. Oil color is only slightly darkened from today’s ride.

9. Planning on going back to Red Rock, next Tuesday and expect probably 75 MPG+ on that ride.

Got home and found a package from China: Handlebar clock and thermometer arrived. $18.13 for both, with free shipping. If they hold up for a year, I’ll be satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would have liked to had the thermometer today. Guessing 35-40 F at 5,000+ feet on Cold Creek Road. Got flip phone photos of bike in the snow, but quality is poor and amount of snow is only a few inches.

One photo is full turn to show tank clearance. The other is what I see sitting on the seat.

clock & thermometer full turn.JPGclock and thermometer, sitting on seat.JPG

Sounds like you are having some great fun.
    Forget about the mirrors, 70 on mine would shake my teeth out. Of course at my age that may happen soon anyway.
    abrinotw, Mattwings and mudbug like this.

Gas mileage should get better as it gets broken in. Mine took about 2500 miles for optimum mileage.
    Tweaker and mudbug like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I got almost 80 MPG, the first full tank, on a run around Red Rock Canyon, but I was riding slower for the break-in.

Very nice experiences and observations after just one month. I really like the matching clock and thermometer.
    A cell phone's GPS based speed app, or stand alone GPS, might give a more accurate speed indication. This can then be used to calibrate your speedometer.
    Lomax likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Sounds like you are having some great fun.
    Forget about the mirrors, 70 on mine would shake my teeth out. Of course at my age that may happen soon anyway.
    70 in a couple of weeks, but only one cavity (age 40), so I would not want them to fall out!
    Tires: It was relatively smooth on the highway.
    Mirrors: Very clear up to 57 then usable 60-65...not so usable higher than that.
    However, on Alamo Road, north of Corn Creek Springs, the washboard was making my eyes bounce!
    Lomax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Very nice experiences and observations after just one month. I really like the matching clock and thermometer.
    A cell phone's GPS based speed app, or stand alone GPS, might give a more accurate speed indication. This can then be used to calibrate your speedometer.
    I could use my Tom-Tom, on battery, if the suction cup sticks to the tank. Did it once on the Bonneville, with suction on the fuel cap.

Any pics from the ride? I love TW pics.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by 1911garand View Post
    Any pics from the ride? I love TW pics.
    Taken with my ancient flip phone (intended to put a .357 hole in it when I fully retire, but it was useful today).
    I did not include in the first post, since the photos are such poor quality.

28 Jan 2017 Alamo Road north of Corn Creek Springs.jpg28 Jan 2017 Cold Creek Road at Mud Springs turn off.jpg28 Jan 2017 Mud Spring forest road.jpg28 Jan 2017 snow.jpg28 Jan 2017 Spring Mountains.jpg

The new gauges look pretty good on there. Looks like a great place for winter riding too.
    Mattwings likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links