First Day with Bike / First Day on Forum
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: First Day with Bike / First Day on Forum

Question First Day with Bike / First Day on Forum

Greetings - I have joined the ranks of TW owners. I live in Idaho, and just purchased a 2013 TW that has 315 miles on it - but I think they are tough miles - the engine case has a JB-Weld patch, but doesn't appear to leak any oil. I took it for a test drive, and it felt great (its my first time on a TW200). I hauled the bike home, and left it in my shop where it got down to roughly 5 below zero. I was happily surprised when I went out the next day and it started right up with a little choke. I drove it around for 5 or 10 minutes getting the feel for the bike - and parked it. Went back out the next day - bike turns over but won't start.. Put a charger on it, went out today - same thing - cannot get it to start. I know there are lots of threads about hard starting TW's so I guess I will start wading thru the threads to see if I can't find the sweet spot for starting the bike. I can already tell I am going to need a kick start kit on the bike - because I know it will see a lot of cold weather riding.

I did discover something strange - and hopefully somebody can help me out. On the left side of the handle bar (clutch side) - I found a black cable with two wires that have been tied together with electricians tape. It looks like these wires originally attached to the clutch lever - but have been taken off and shorted together. What is this cable?

I have gone full circle with motorbikes - I had some Honda CT110's that I loved, but sold those and went to a serious off road bike - CRX250, but realized I was soon going to kill myself on one of those bikes, I dropped back to a KLX250 which was alot more tame, sold that to a friend - and now that I am older - I have admired these little TW200's and thought I would really enjoy one. Oh - and to let you know how old I am, I used to race 3 wheelers. The last year I raced was in 1985, on a Honda 250R - that bike was a blast... But nowadays - I am happy just puttering around on cow trails.... if I can get the bike started...

Welcome, from another recent additon to this forum.
    The clutch lever wires are part of the start enable circuitry.
    Blue/yellow from start relay to switch and then black / blue to CDI unit.
    Also part of the start enable are the side stand switch (will kill motor if stand is down and dropped into gear)
    If not in neutral, starter will nor crank unless clutch pulled in.

Since yours turns over/cranks, then the kill switch is on and the start system is enabled, but may not be getting spark.

Are you getting flow form the petcock?
    Does the bowl drain screw (if you can get it open) put a puddle on the ground?
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 01-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    jtomelliott49 and ejfranz like this.

Welcome from another 2013 owner on Vancouver Island! Good luck with your starting problem. Carb clean maybe? Your bike is low mileage and may have sat for extended periods with fuel in the system. Perhaps some gunk got dislodged on your first ride.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! Once you get your kinks ironed out, I'm sure you'll love your new TW. Wish I could help but I'm not super handy like most of these guys are.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Thanks for the reply SportserDoc - makes sense on the clutch wires - so it will be fine having those shorted together. I haven't done much to trouble shoot the starting issue - I did loosen the bowl drain screw and fuel did run out the hose - so it is surely getting fuel. I have not yet put fresh fuel in the bike since it came with a nearly full tank - that (allegedly) had fuel stabilizer added. I haven't pulled my plug to see if its wet either. The battery doesn't seem real strong. I will let it come back to a full charge and go try again.

My klx250s was the coldheartedest two wheeler I've ever had. If I wanted to start it in winter, I would put a space heater right next to the engine for a half hour first. And if you stopped to long somewhere - you were screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by IDAHOMARS View Post
    The battery doesn't seem real strong. I will let it come back to a full charge and go try again.
    Voltage readings may be helpful.
    I am more familiar with ignition module type systems and getting re-acquainted with CDI.
    For ignition module type systems, too low a voltage will not develop spark.

Below was developed for a H-D forum, but should be applicable:

State of Charge (AGM battery)
    12.8+ 100%
    12.6 75%
    12.3 50%
    12.0 25%
    11.8 Zero

Voltage Readings
    1. KEY OFF battery voltage, at the battery: Normal is 12.8.
    If just taken off a charger, voltage may be 13 point something. The battery needs to sit for a while (or turn on the key for ~3 seconds, then turn off) before a reading is useful.
    In the case of a bad cell, the other cells overcharge and give an almost normal reading, until load is applied.
    • If lower, then battery is discharged and needs charging or
    • Battery has a bad cell

2. KEY ON battery voltage (headlight on): Normal is not under about 12.5 initially, but will decline the longer the headlight is on, without the motor running. Under no load, 12.5 volts indicates severe discharge, but under headlight load, it is just voltage drop.
    • Battery has a bad cell or
    • Battery cable(s) have high resistance

3. KEY ON battery voltage while cranking: Normal is not under 10.5 volts
    • Battery has a bad cell or
    • Battery cable(s) have high resistance or
    • Starter is drawing too much current
    • Solenoid contacts have high resistance

4. If the bike is running, battery voltage at about 2,500 RPMs should be 13.8 to 14.8
    • If not, then check stator resistance and regulator ground
    • If the stator is not shorted to ground and resistance is within spec, the regulator or regulator ground is suspect

Among other things indicated above, the very first thing I would do is to remove the gas tank, thoroughly flush it with the petcock removed, clean the petcock filters with a toothbrush and gas, drain the carburetor via the drain screw and put in new gas, preferably Non Ethanol. Regardless of whether old gas is causing the problem, a 6 year old bike with only 315 miles on it means there is an extremely high probability that it has sat for months if not years, and a full fuel system clean-out is recommended.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I'm not the mechanicinist guy on here, but I'll bet it's something very simple electrical since you started it the other day and rode it around a bit. I would start with spark.
    socalnative likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by IDAHOMARS View Post
    Greetings - I have joined the ranks of TW owners. I live in Idaho, and just purchased a 2013 TW that has 315 miles on it - but I think they are tough miles - the engine case has a JB-Weld patch, but doesn't appear to leak any oil. I took it for a test drive, and it felt great (its my first time on a TW200). I hauled the bike home, and left it in my shop where it got down to roughly 5 below zero. I was happily surprised when I went out the next day and it started right up with a little choke. I drove it around for 5 or 10 minutes getting the feel for the bike - and parked it. Went back out the next day - bike turns over but won't start.. Put a charger on it, went out today - same thing - cannot get it to start. I know there are lots of threads about hard starting TW's so I guess I will start wading thru the threads to see if I can't find the sweet spot for starting the bike. I can already tell I am going to need a kick start kit on the bike - because I know it will see a lot of cold weather riding.

I did discover something strange - and hopefully somebody can help me out. On the left side of the handle bar (clutch side) - I found a black cable with two wires that have been tied together with electricians tape. It looks like these wires originally attached to the clutch lever - but have been taken off and shorted together. What is this cable?

I have gone full circle with motorbikes - I had some Honda CT110's that I loved, but sold those and went to a serious off road bike - CRX250, but realized I was soon going to kill myself on one of those bikes, I dropped back to a KLX250 which was alot more tame, sold that to a friend - and now that I am older - I have admired these little TW200's and thought I would really enjoy one. Oh - and to let you know how old I am, I used to race 3 wheelers. The last year I raced was in 1985, on a Honda 250R - that bike was a blast... But nowadays - I am happy just puttering around on cow trails.... if I can get the bike started...
    Welcome. Mars eh?

Thought you might be from the Boise side of the state when I read about the JB Weld patch on the engine case. Turns out I saw one very close in description on the Boise C-List. Right now a 2008, 2,700 miles and a JB Weld on the case is for sale for 1,800. Who'd-a-thunk.

Anyway, I admittildly have a weakish battery and have to jump start my 2015 when it's been this cold. It won't even start with my kicker. Jump starting and fire up the old woodstove is what I do like Old w/too many guns said.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links