Protective Gear?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Protective Gear?

As I'm "resting" after my last trail ride and a "close encounter" with a gravel road, I'm wondering if I should invest in some additional protective gear. I -always- wear my helmet anytime I'm on the bike, and also gloves, jeans, and boots over the ankle. At this point though, I've not invested in anything more than that.

I figured the "armor" I see some MX guys wearing was for the more aggressive riders, people who are racing or like to leap off jumps with their hair on fire, no so much for slow pokes like me. I can see where knee and elbow protection might have spared me a bit of the road rash I'm nursing, but I'm not sure it would have prevented my purple leg (yeah, I presently have a purple left leg) , mainly due to 300-some pounds of TW deciding to lay down on the job on it.

So, I thought I'd ask the other TWers here, what protective gear do you wear, on the street and on the trail? Do you have a story to tell of how it saved you some pain? Anything in particular you'd recommend?

Watch that purple leg. I had an ankel injury from a snowmobile crash and after a whole year , I got a full leg blood clot.

Owen

well, I hate to say this, but I usedto be ATGATT. Not so much anymore. Mainly due to the 107* heat index and 85% humidity most of the summer.

As far as when I head out to go take a picture for the contest: long pants, tshirt, gloves, mcycle boots and my helmet.

Work: whatever I happen to be wearing that day + helmet/ gloves

If I am doing a "trip", I'm full ATGATT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

ATGATT - A new one to me, had to Google it -- All the Gear, All the Time.

So... what kind of gear was that? I can see the heat factor being a problem, though here in the high desert in Idaho humidity isn't an issue. I'm thinking knee and elbow protection might be a good place to start.

Mesh jacket in the summer, starting to wear my leather one now that it's cooling off. Mesh overpants to go to work, Draggin' jeans on the weekend. All have armor, some beefed up a bit. Forcefield brand seems to have tested out really well.

After a bad accident last year I now wear an airbag vest overtop of either jacket.

Plus gloves, full face helmet, tall motorcycle boots.

It gets hot here, so I really like the Draggin jeans/mesh jacket combo for regular driving around.

I don't leave home without my Cortech Mesh Armor jacket. It has two different inserts for colder weather and some water resistance. A pair of PowerTrip padded gloves with hard plastic knuckles and metal studs at the heel of the palm. A full face helmet (3 different) and a pair of Gaerne 14" ATV boots.

My next upgrade will be a pair of Bohn armor pants and shirt. www.bohn-armor-pants.com . I think the Bohn product will give you the leg protection you need for a fall. Won't help much to keep a bike off you though. I always cringe when I see the bad-a** Harley dudes ride by my house with no helmet, no gloves, no jacket, etc. , and their riders too. All I can think of is the road rash they would incur from even a low speed crash. Of course, they are only 'cruising' by at about 30mph- I don't want a Harley if it means having to ride that slow.

Dave

I don't care if they're sitting at a stoplight and for some reason the Harley falls over on them, it's gonna be ugly. You don't have to be going very fast at all to have that much metal falling on you put a serious crimp in your style, not to mention your carcass.

I wear Tourmaster jacket and pants while on the road. Off road, I wear MX boots, over the boot MX pants, knee and elbow guards, chest protector, long sleeve shirt, and helmet. I thought all the offroad gear was for the hardcore guys too, but nope, its for ANYONE who rides off road somewhat aggressively. A month or so ago my front tire slipped on a rock while I was going down hill on a trail. I was going 5 MPH, but the rock slid and shot out from underneath my tire and I went over the handlebars. I landed on my back. My chest protector, elbow guards, and helmet saved me. I won't ride offroad without them.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I just became a member of the forum 5 minutes ago, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to hopefully prevent someone from making the same mistake I did when I was young and stupid. I'm 30 and now wear a full face helmet, gloves, compression suit, and a cup. The cup isn't very comfortable to ride with and I have never met another rider who wears one, but it will save your balls from extreme pain. When I was 18 I crashed my RM 125 after hitting a deep hidden tractor rut. The handle bars pinched my left nut against the gas tank as I went over the handle bars and landed on an electric cattle fence. My left nut swelled up to the size of a soft ball and I had to wear mesh shorts for the rest of the summer. I ended up losing my left nut. 11 years later I was still miracously able to have a kid though. I don't ride off road without a cup though because I only have one nut left and never want to experience that unbearable pain again. Protect the family jewels especially if you plan on having children. I just picked up a 2006 TW200 and love it, will post pics soon. Love the TW200 forum.

Dude... That story hurts just to read it! I'm not feeling so bad with my bunged up leg anymore. Just goes to show how vulnerable we are as motorcycle riders.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links