First ride in the snow. Not a long one but hey it was 22* out! Anyways the TW did be
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: First ride in the snow. Not a long one but hey it was 22* out! Anyways the TW did be

First ride in the snow. Not a long one but hey it was 22* out! Anyways the TW did be

I didn't know what to expect but the TW did ok. I just made sure to not use the front brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put 1/4" hex head by 3/4" tek screws in the knobbies like ice spikes, you can take them right back out in the spring. They work awesome!! Fun fun fun!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

just don't screw them in too far! HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss...
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not planning on making a habit of riding in the snow lol. Too cold!! Come on spring!
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by little buddy View Post
    I didn't know what to expect but the TW did ok. I just made sure to not use the front brake.
    Riding starts out like what you did. A short journey in 1 or 2 inches of snow. Next thing you know you're out riding up to the mailbox and off-road dodging badger holes. Then the next next thing you know, you're trying to add skis to the front tire and buying a snowmobile suit! Well, that's how it started for me.

FYI. If you do end up wanting to ride where the surface snow is packed down or icy and want to add sheet metal screws as JJ has mentioned I used #12's by 1/2 inch not 3/4. They have held fine.

Also, I wouldn't use sheet metal screws in the stock tires. I think the knobs on both tires are too short possibly leading to the "hissssss" Fred mentions. I used screws on my SR244 and SR241 and tire chains on the rear tire.

Still, with all the snow we got it got too deep to ride (over 2 feet) and when it was cold cold even the screws and tire chains didn't help on the ice much. Now the temperatures have risen and it's a sloppy mess. Haven't ridden the TW in 2-3 weeks boo hoo.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

When I used 1/2 in the rear trialing the idea I tore them out on the ice. The move to 3/4 was OK for me but the tire was new. I had a bucket of HVAC screws so I used them, 1/4" was the head size. My buddy used 5/16 head on the ice but the added traction caused them to pull out when "burning out". It will all depend on conditions and your tire. I will add that you will need a lot. For me the bucket of HVAC 1/4" head by 3/4 long screws were free. My buddy actually paid for his 5/16 head screws thinking the added traction he'd get would make him faster than me. It did! But only for a few hunded feet till he tore them out. In the snow, no ice he may have been OK.

Admiral has me beat with the SKI so he is the unmitigated mad man still
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 02-10-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    ejfranz, admiral and littletommy like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

My uncle uses the oldest tires he can find off ebay because the rubber is hard, holds the screws better. He lives upstate NY in the mountains, has ice all the time in the winter and twisties all summer long in the mountains.. makes me jealous.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

I did put screws into my Ceros and didn't tear any out but pretty sure I didn't try very hard. lol. I didn't get the traction I wanted with the screws in the rear so I removed the screws and put them in my SR241 front tire and switched to rear stock tire with chains. Normally, I'm not riding on hardened ice but usually softer ice/packed snow.

Can't even see the screws in the front tire but they are there and non have fallen out. I did use the shorter one's like you mentioned using in previous years but the one's this year have the taller screw head. (taller screw head sounds bad doesn't it)

littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Here was my old SR244 with the shorter screws which you can barely see. The front tire chain idea didn't help like I thought they would. Oh well, I try!

littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.

What do you do on year two? Will the same holes hold them or do you need to move the screw to a fresh location? An sr244 while normally too hard for cold weather sounds like a good candidate for studding.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links