Back to the T-Dub Club
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Back to the T-Dub Club

Back to the T-Dub Club

Long story short: We've owned 2 T-dubs over the past 6 years, and despite the fact that I've owned and ridden a plethora of "bigger" and "better" bikes, the little TW200s have always stood out as being the most fun, versatile of the bunch. My wife and I have taken our TWs on 1,000 mile trips, loaded to the hilt with camping gear, riding from MA to Mont Tremblant, Canada and back. I've ridden the little 200 on trails that my bigger and "better" dual sport bikes couldn't come close to handling (at least with me in the saddle). The bikes are so easy to load up into the truck and "deploy" once on location. Oh yes... and the best part: The compliments. People are drawn to the bike and drool whenever they see it. I'll never forget the time that I pulled up to a garage to get my inspection sticker. A younger guy on a tricked out supersport bike pulled up behind me. The mechanics and everyone else in attendance paid his bike no attention while peppering me with questions about the little 200 and how much they'd have to spend to make one their own.

My biggest regret: Selling them.

I picked my first T-dub up in 2011 for $3k. The bike was a '10 model with just 123 miles on the odometer. Mint condition. About a year later, I gave into the bigger is better mindset and purchased a DR650 (mistake). The TW became my wife's bike. After realizing my mistake, and not being able to wrestle my former TW back from my wife, I bought a used 2009 model to compliment hers. Pre-kids, we took those bikes everywhere and had a blast. Time constraints and kids eventually led to the selling off of the '09, replacing the DR with a street bike (fun while it lasted, but boring) and, sadly, the sale of all remaining bikes this past fall, including my wife's bike, which had been sitting pretty much idly for over 2 years since our 2nd child was born.

As a father of 2, I have come to the realization that high speed thrills on powerful street bikes is no longer a responsible option. I have also come to appreciate the fact that, when it comes to motorcycles at least, bigger is not always better. In all of my years of owning mortorcycles (I've been riding for nearly 25 years) the TW200 has proven itself time and time again to be the most versatile, simplistic machine I have ever had the pleasure of owning and riding. The lack of power keeps you from doing things that could get you into a lot of trouble and it's ease of use, in ALL situations, from rocky, technical terrain to urban assault, is simply unparalleled.

Yes: the bike is archaic.
    Yes: the bike lacks (a lot) of power.
    Yes: I just bought a left over 2016 model on Saturday

After making the mistake of selling our bikes off (both of which sold for what I paid for them!), post kids, and now being motorcycle-less since this past November, I have been itching to get back out there on the world's best small displacement dual sport. Not wanting to play the used bike lottery, I broke down and picked up a brand new 2016 model for $4,550 OTD (taxes, plated, registered, titled, etc.), a price I'm pretty happy with given the fact that these bikes hold their value like nothing else out there! Although highway commuting on the T-Dub will no longer be as practical, there is a string of fire roads, double track and single track that will now spice up my 10 mile commute from time to time and I'm already dreaming about the day trips up in VT, NH and ME I'll be taking later this summer and fall!

Lesson learned: less is more. I'm psyched to be back on a TW200 and will most likely add a second one to the stable (for my wife) within the next year. Fun times ahead!
    Last edited by TheJRM; 02-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Less is more in allot of ways for sure. But especially true when it comes to t'dubbin.. I move between a Husqvarna 701 and a 2010 TW200 but I spend much more time dreaming about slow singletrack fun.

(Note TWs are the master of single track fun)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Agreed! My DR650 was a PIG off road, especially on single track. I also owned a HIGHLY modded CRF250L. I put WAAAAAAY too much money and time into that bike. Much better off road than the DR, but still much, much less capable than the TW200, especially around here in New England where the trails are so tight and rocky. I do a lot of mountain biking on very technically demanding terrain. The CRF250L couldn't handle any of it. The T-dub... now that's a different story. The best part: When the going gets REALLY tough, just put both feet down and walk your way through! Gotta love it!

Although the bike is archaic, it's versatility and ease of use trump modern day/superior aspects of comparable bikes (like the CRF250L) such as EFI, dual discs brakes, better suspension, etc. I've always lusted over the WR250r, but I keep coming back to the fact that the TW would even outperform that machine, at least for my intended use.
    Last edited by TheJRM; 02-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Now just have to wait for the rest of the snow to melt...
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Welcome back to the fold!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks!

Your tag line: I was just reading about "TWisty" in the forum today. What a sad, sad story My heart aches for his wife and family.

A stern reminder about how dangerous this passion can be. You can be the safest, most alert rider in the world and someone else makes a mistake that takes your life.

Every year we have at least 1 - 2 fatal motorcycle accidents in/around my town. Almost all of them involve high speed and the highway. In the past, I have resprocketed the T-dubs with a 15T up front in order to make highway use a little easier. I might actually keep the 14T on this time around specifically to remind myself to avoid the highway and to keep the speeds down LOW when on the road. This was one of my biggest reasons for purchasing the TW again. Crashing off road at 5 - 15 mph is one thing; colliding with a car (at any speed) or crashing at 55+ mph is another.

Be safe out there bro on your new bike and thanks for noticing TWisty. We sincerely value each and every forum member here. The forum's come a long way since you first were here. I personally think it's a better place than it used to be.

And again, welcome back bro!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJRM View Post
    Thanks!

Your tag line: I was just reading about "TWisty" in the forum today. What a sad, sad story My heart aches for his wife and family.

A stern reminder about how dangerous this passion can be. You can be the safest, most alert rider in the world and someone else makes a mistake that takes your life.

Every year we have at least 1 - 2 fatal motorcycle accidents in/around my town. Almost all of them involve high speed and the highway. In the past, I have resprocketed the T-dubs with a 15T up front in order to make highway use a little easier. I might actually keep the 14T on this time around specifically to remind myself to avoid the highway and to keep the speeds down LOW when on the road. This was one of my biggest reasons for purchasing the TW again. Crashing off road at 5 - 15 mph is one thing; colliding with a car (at any speed) or crashing at 55+ mph is another.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

As LT said - welcome back to the fold .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

congrats on a new TW! I got my 2015 with 25 miles in Nov of 16 - I was always a bigger is better type of person and bought this bike to strap on the hitch of my motorhome. Well, now it gets a lot of use here at home.....I have skipped street group rides on my Victory Cross Country to get out in the woods on my Dub. I really enjoy this lil machine, this surprised me! I'll have this bike for many years. Smaller is better in this instance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links