TW as a teaching tool
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: TW as a teaching tool

TW as a teaching tool

It was a great weekend of riding here in the Tri-State (NY, CT, NJ) area. Real stupid climate change weather close to 70 both days.
    Saturday I took the K75 for a ride and also went to check-out a Softail Deluxe someone I know is selling. It is drop-your-heart gorgeous but I'd have to sell the '69 r60/2 to buy it. So Sunday morning I took her upstate for a 120 mile ride. By the time I got back I knew I couldn't sell the old girl and let the HD pass. BTDT with HD's. I'm not even sure how I got the bug again?

My favorite Wing Place (Garlic Parmesan wings) was closed for the Winter.
    IMG_7901.JPG

Almost all my favorite secondary roads were closed, you guessed... for the Winter. Oh yeah, it is Winter. Hundreds of cabin fever riders out on the roads.
    IMG_7918.JPG

Gave my wife Lori about an hour getting used to the TW. Its such a gentle bike for learning. We live on a dead-end with a slight hill. She rode it down the hill several times without the engine on to get used to the weight and foot/hand brakes. She does drive stick car but getting used to the hand controls will be all new to her. Then we turned the engine on and "walked" the bike uphill under power, feet on the ground the whole way. Only stalled couple times. Tomorrow after we buy her a good helmet I'll let her actually ride. I doubt she'd ever want to ride anything more than the TW so going forward I might have to buy another for myself. Great teaching tool and I will have her take a couple formal lessons in the Spring. Guess what bike they use for students?

I'm using the Mr. Mioji (Karate Kid) method for Lori. I told her this was called "walking the dog". Of course I'm making all this up. Wax On/Wax Off.
    IMG_7926.jpg

After all the above it was still nice out and Peppermint the Beagle wanted to go for a ride in the Ural sidecar. Check out this youtube video. Best to view in Full Screen, enjoy:

Ken, Mel, jtstdub and 12 others like this.

gotta love family* that love to ride too.

* two or four legged
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Love the Beemer and the hack!!

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    It was a great weekend of riding here in the Tri-State (NY, CT, NJ) area. Real stupid climate change weather close to 70 both days.
    Saturday I took the K75 for a ride and also went to check-out a Softail Deluxe someone I know is selling. It is drop-your-heart gorgeous but I'd have to sell the '69 r60/2 to buy it. So Sunday morning I took her upstate for a 120 mile ride. By the time I got back I knew I couldn't sell the old girl and let the HD pass. BTDT with HD's. I'm not even sure how I got the bug again?

My favorite Wing Place (Garlic Parmesan wings) was closed for the Winter.
    IMG_7901.JPG

Almost all my favorite secondary roads were closed, you guessed... for the Winter. Oh yeah, it is Winter. Hundreds of cabin fever riders out on the roads.
    IMG_7918.JPG

Gave my wife Lori about an hour getting used to the TW. Its such a gentle bike for learning. We live on a dead-end with a slight hill. She rode it down the hill several times without the engine on to get used to the weight and foot/hand brakes. She does drive stick car but getting used to the hand controls will be all new to her. Then we turned the engine on and "walked" the bike uphill under power, feet on the ground the whole way. Only stalled couple times. Tomorrow after we buy her a good helmet I'll let her actually ride. I doubt she'd ever want to ride anything more than the TW so going forward I might have to buy another for myself. Great teaching tool and I will have her take a couple formal lessons in the Spring. Guess what bike they use for students?

I'm using the Mr. Mioji (Karate Kid) method for Lori. I told her this was called "walking the dog". Of course I'm making all this up. Wax On/Wax Off.
    IMG_7926.jpg

After all the above it was still nice out and Peppermint the Beagle wanted to go for a ride in the Ural sidecar. Check out this youtube video. Best to view in Full Screen, enjoy:

admiral, TopPredator, Ken and 2 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Nice!
    I spent the weekend shuffling bikes to and from storage.

Love that Ural, Mike.

And that Beemer is beautiful.

Awesome. This would be called "Riding the Dog" right!

Nice! I like the Wax on Wax off analogy. Funny!

P.S. You are way to organized, I have never hung up my wrenches or hammers
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That's a sweet Sidecar. If you are ever down my way I have a friend Tim who is handicapped and lives next door. I always feel bad when I come home after a ride and he's sitting outside. I told him the other day I needed a sidecar so I could take him with me.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    That's a sweet Sidecar. If you are ever down my way I have a friend Tim who is handicapped and lives next door. I always feel bad when I come home after a ride and he's sitting outside. I told him the other day I needed a sidecar so I could take him with me.
    Hmmm, maybe. There is a Ural Guru that I'm trying to get to do a little work on her (change universal joints, change the drive "doughnut") that lives in Annapolis. I can do this work but he's got "the touch". If I can get him to commit I will definitely be in touch. I participate in "The Ride For Kids" almost every year and the sidecar contingent really gets these youngsters going. Such happiness seeing the the smiles on their faces.

WOW.. I saw this thread and THOUGHT it said "TW as a TRENCHING tool" and was like YAY.. I'm in LOL.. - need coffee..
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    WOW.. I saw this thread and THOUGHT it said "TW as a TRENCHING tool" and was like YAY.. I'm in LOL.. - need coffee..
    That would be the XTW250

11611-yamaha-xtw250-ryoku-concept.jpg
    Skidplate doubles as an entrenching tool.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    That would be the XTW250

11611-yamaha-xtw250-ryoku-concept.jpg
    Skidplate doubles as an entrenching tool.

Oh Man, that is really nice. Never have seen one.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links