Snowy LED Light Demonstration
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Snowy LED Light Demonstration

Snowy LED Light Demonstration

Figuring a snow fall would make a nice white background I rolled Mr.Gizmo out tonight to align a new pair of LED 12watt CREE spotlight pods and a three sided array 35W H4 headlamp replacement. Since all the new switchgear and lights seemed functional I went for a quick impromptu test ride. Done on a whim I had on only loafers, sweat pants, no coat nor gloves so I tried to be cautious. Still was a bit of tail wagging at times
    Overall I am pleased with the fairly uniform lighting and look forward to safer trail riding. Much better than stock or the previous up-graded Hella H4 bulb.

Note: I have same lighting system on Betty Boop except she has a 45 watt three sided H4 rather than Mr.Gizmo's 35watt seen here. The 45 Watt 5500 Lumen H4 is almost too much for polite road use.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-21-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The light produces looks great. I am not impressed with my stock headlight, especially since I think it is pointed down too far. I can only see about 10-20 feet of well lit road. Can you post a pic of your bike with the new light set-up some time please? Thanks

Stock headlight housing has an adjusting screw to set height of beam, a cross-point screw located at bottom of headlight's cowl next to bolt that retains the cowl. Try using that to raise point of aim. I'll try to post links to these lights and installation.
    5500LM 45W Motorcycle Bike 3 Sides LED Headlight H4 9003 HB2 Hi Lo 6000K Bulb X1 | eBay
    2X 15W Universal Motorcycle Scooter 4 LED Driving Fog Spot Light Headlight Lamp2bdd7077e017f20bdc2009ea0ad4cefc.jpg
    Here are my TWs showing spotlights mounted on lower fork clamp bolts.
    b1207d6642931279850158fda15cd071.jpg

A few others have them, SkinWalker has installed four on his clean desert machine.IMG_8771.JPG

With his latest edition I think he can blind jackrabbits at fifty paces.IMG_8812.JPG
    Last edited by Fred; 02-21-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those little "locomotive" lights are listed as being mountable to rear view mirrors via bendable metal stalks with 10mm holes at their end. This makes them versatile and mountable to hand guards, mirror stalk bases as well as the fork retention bolts top and bottom as shown above. A little sealant around the lens and bezel aids in waterproofing, and care is advisable with the thin lead wires ( I soldered them to correct sized bullet connectors then crimped as good a strain relief as possible to the flimsy insulation) Still a lot of light for under $10.
    Switching is accomplished by an array of color coded and labeled handlebar mounted rocker switches for Mr.Gizmo's features like auxilliary fan, power to Voyager either from TW battery or a CR1032 coin battery and a low beam cut off-switch. I think Gerry wanted to eliminate current draw to sent most of available power to the cooling fan when operating at low rpms at crawling speeds in hot weather. I thought this was a cool idea so have kept his ideas but just cleaned up the switchology and wiring runs a bit.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-21-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Great little lights for little $$$
    DSCN0915.JPG
    Tweaker likes this.

Not the same as the lights you guys are using but I bought these from a forum member a year ago or so. Finally, wired them up yesterday. Bummed, the left side isn't working as bright. It's way dimmer than the right side. Checked the wiring and don't see anything wrong. Do LED Lights burn out or just go dim when they are bad?

P.S. Working with tiny wires with big fat fingers really sucks. Working with these tiny wires was like trying to milk a mouse. Next to impossible. I assume milking a mouse is difficult as I've never actually tried it. lol

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Fred, thanks for the info. Very helpful. That is a good deal for the lights too.

Fred,
    The H4 replacement bulb fits in the stock housing and wiring? Or did you have to cut and splice wires from the normal headlight bulb?
    Thanks

Do do they have one or two wires per LED. If one wire make sure they are getting a good ground through the bracket, hold right to the battery and see where you are.

Leds can fail completely or get dim but that's very rare. Generally they just die, if failing when new but will dim over time. I never put mine on either! Yikes..

I must say your very entertaining lately. Great posts (mouse milker)

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Not the same as the lights you guys are using but I bought these from a forum member a year ago or so. Finally, wired them up yesterday. Bummed, the left side isn't working as bright. It's way dimmer than the right side. Checked the wiring and don't see anything wrong. Do LED Lights burn out or just go dim when they are bad?

P.S. Working with tiny wires with big fat fingers really sucks. Working with these tiny wires was like trying to milk a mouse. Next to impossible. I assume milking a mouse is difficult as I've never actually tried it. lol

Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 02-21-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    admiral, Dryden-Tdub and Peterb like this.

two wires per side
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links