Boret's 1990 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I finally got the bike.

I want to thank everyone that helped me over on the "Need advice getting a used TW" thread.

I bought a used 1990 Yamaha TW200 with 12,500 miles.

Here it is the first picture loaded in the utility trailer on its way to the new home:

With the bike I got a complete set of wheels with Bridgestone TW203 in the front and Bridgestone TW204 in the back. The tires seem to be in great shape. Plenty of thread and no cracks. The rims are so so, might be just dirt. We will see how they look after some elbow grease.

Considering the bridgestones are in great shape that is probably worth $300 to $400 (from what I see on eBay for TW200 rims)

The set of knobby tires on the bike is a weird (to me) Chinese brand: Cheng Shin Tire

Front tire is Cheng Shin Tire C-913-1, the rear tire is Cheng Shin Tire C-914-1

They have the front tire at Motorcycle Superstore for $44.99 and the rear at powersportsnetwork.com for $70.95

The back chassis of the bike is a bit twisted to the right. But it didn't affect ride-ability. Here is a pick from the back:

The bike comes with a complete Service Manual (274pgs)

A skid plate:

Acerbis hand guards (with the metal insert), a couple of storage nylon bags and pre-wired to connect the battery tender.

My first concern is the rear shock. In this picture you can see that it has moved all the way to the right in the top axle:

That's probably from when the bike fell. It is kind of weird that there is nothing to support the top of the shock from moving left to right.

Makes me think that it could be an after market shock.

Here it is a side picture of the rear shock.... does it look OEM? (I will get better pictures once I start removing plastic fairings)

It idles way low so first thing I might do is increase the idle speed a bit.

I am going to go over every bolt, cable, and part. Tight everything up, sand down and repaint where ever I find rust, and probably do an oil/air filter change.

The chain is not O-Ring.... that might be one of the first mods.

I am also thinking about running a can of SeaFoam on the first few tanks to clean up the carb.

Anything else I should look at?

B.

Check brake pad thickness & clean em up.

Nice to know it goes, now make sure it stops.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

The rear shock is supposed to be off set like that.

So unless you can see any obvious damage or any abnormal movement then it is correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    Check brake pad thickness & clean em up.

Nice to know it goes, now make sure it stops.

He he he! It stops but the rear break seems very weak and the front needed a couple of turns on the front screws to tight up.

I will take them apart and check the drums and pads.

Quote Originally Posted by uktw125 View Post
    The rear shock is supposed to be off set like that.

So unless you can see any obvious damage or any abnormal movement then it is correct.

Thanks! I feel better knowing that it supposed to be offset like that.

So far I am enjoying the bike quite a bit.

I discovered that the previous owner replaced the chain and both front and rear sprockets, from its original 14/49 to 15/50. Top speed is fine, I have seen 70 in the speedo, but I want a bit more torque with the knobbies, so I am getting a 54/56 rear sprocket for the knobby tires and will use the 50 on the street tires.

I will also replace the chain with an o-ring one.

I am waiting on parts to do an oil change. I am also getting new front and rear Brake Shoes, a bunch of gaskets and orings, a set of ss screws to replace the rusted/old phillips heads currently on the bike and probably wheel bearings.

I might even go as far as getting new spokes and install them on the wheels. I have to get the spoke wrench. I have not done it in motorcycle wheels, only bicycles and long long time ago. I am going to follow Dan's instructions.

Some updated pictures.

congratulations on the "new" bike!

was the rear rack beyond being salvaged? i noticed in the updated photos its gone. theres an oem style rack on the forum going for 50 bucks if you need a new one. heres the link. https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/426-oem-carrier/

skinned shins (cheng shin) arent that bad but of course dunlops are way better. i am happy with the dunlop "street" tires even for short jogs offroad. i use skinned shins on all my scooters and have never had any trouble. ive also had chinese bikes that the tires outlasted the engines sooo...
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Thanks ATXthumper.

The rack is in great shape, no nicks or rust.

I am just not planing on doing any long trips with the TW200 (yet) so I have no need for the rack. But it was great to get it with the bike. I don't need the extra weight and it takes about a minute to put it back on if I need it.

The tires did great today in loose gravel. Compare to the vstrom this thing is on rails on back dirt/gravel roads. They feel odd in paved roads. Not getting great feedback from the front, so I am sure I will replace the rubber fairly soon. Maybe it is just the way the front knobby it supposed to feel in turns on paved roads....

I want to try the bike with the street tires first. (It will be a while until I get those on) Going on a long trip fairly soon.

I also notice that, even though there aren't any broken spokes, they are a bit off. I tapped them and got a lot of "clank" sounds and very few that actually ringed.

The screw part of most of the spokes is rusted, so a new set will be a good mod.

A new set is $25 for the rear and $30 for the front I just don't know if that is all I need, but looks like it from the part diagram.

Another picture

It's been over 2 months already?? Whew, time flies.

Here are a few pictures with some of the upgrades I've done to the bike.

So far I have replaced the oil, spark plug, oil and air filter, front headlight, handlebar, pegs, turn signals, chain and rear sprocket.

I have also removed the rack as I have no plans on going on long trips with this motorcycle. It is still cool that I got it with the bike but I had no use for it. I also fitted a cheap JCWhitney Givi ripoff top case and I retrofitted two agri-supply tool tubes to it. Not 100% sure on the look of it...

I bought the pegs on eBay from CA seller. A bit more expensive than the Hong-Kong ones, but I got them in 2 days.

I replaced the square headlight with an 8" round one from fly'n'cycle. I also got the universal headlight holder and smaller turn signals from that site. I went for the short spear ones. They give it a completely different look from the back. But they get a bit washed out in the front with the new headlight. I might order slightly longer ones and put the short ones in my vstrom.

The new sprocket is a 54T for the knobby tire. With a 126 link chain and 15T in the front I am at 6 in the chain adjuster, but I can't use the 50T in the back. I have to remove a couple of links, make it a 124 chain, to be able to swap between knobbies and street tires. Hopefully I will be at 2/3 in the chain adjuster with the 54T and around 6/7 with the 50T.

In the pictures I have a front street tire and a knobby in the rear. Just haven't had the chance to shorten the chain.

I am waiting on a smoked spitfire windscreen from fly'n'cycle. The windscreen fits both 7 and 8" headlights. I think it might look better with a 7" headlight... the 8" is massive... but on the other hand I can see at night now!

I also bought a complete set of stainless steel hex head screws to replace the phillips head ones currently on the TW.

I had to replace the blinker relay to work with these turn signals. I just bought one at an auto parts store with the same two flat prong configuration. 12v 25Amp. Heavy duty. Go figure, it works!

The pictures:

Looks great! I'm way jealous that you got 2 sets of tires with your bike! I really want to get a second set but it would cost way to much. Enjoy the great TW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links