Intro: My TW200 Moto Gal (SW Ohio)
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Intro: My TW200 Moto Gal (SW Ohio)

Cool Intro: My TW200 Moto Gal (SW Ohio)

I don't own a TW200, but my daughter does. She got her temporary motorcycle permit 6-months ago at age 15-1/2 (legal age in Ohio), the same time she got her driver's permit. She spent the next few months on the road, riding my Honda Elite 250. It was not that cool and she wanted something else, but I believe it was the perfect teaching tool. Automatic, not that she can't handle a clutch (she can) but that's one less thing to worry about when the world is out to kill you. We spruced it up. Made it less uncool, but... it still wasn't cool.

I see a lot of kids these days getting pretty cars with bows on the them for their 16th birthday. This 15yr/old made the tough decision between bike or car for her first vehicle, and she bought it last Monday, for herself for her birthday, with her own money. She turned 16 last Wednesday. Yes, I'm proud.

It's a 93 model, so it doesn't have a trip meter. She keeps track of her miles at fill ups with a grease pen, a trick learned from the previous owner.

She is petite and sat on one a couple years ago, but it was not as low as she expected. We have been window shopping for about a year now, she's not a cruiser gal, she likes adventure, and the TW200 kept coming up as the logical choice. They don't come up on the market that often though, and when they do... they're typically way out of reach. A good friend of mine recently purchased a new dual-sport for herself, and cut us a deal on her TW. My daughter has adapted to it quickly. Like she was born in the saddle. Still inexperienced, but learning quick. She is a high school Sophomore but taking class at the local college as a Freshman. She plans to use this as her commuter bike, when it is appropriate. Her high school has already given her the thumb up (we had to ask, just to be sure) and there is motorcycle parking on campus. Of course, she plans to use it for adventure too.

Why am I here?

Well, it's parked in my garage next to my bikes. I'm going to be the support crew. I need a good online resource and community support. I also like it and wouldn't mind having one myself. She might sign up for an account herself, at a later date.

Last edited by witttom; 06-27-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Well that's just płain awesome! Both of you are more than welcome here. This is a very diverse and knowledgeable group. Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 02-26-2017 at 03:39 PM.

There are some great t-Dub'n woman here already. You and your daughter will feel right at home.
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 02-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!

Nice to see dad's taught her well and she's wearing good safety gear right out of the gate!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

This is all great and I wish you lived in my neighborhood!
    Why the grease pen?
    Want to know MPG?
    Hers has a front drum and a kick starter, Easy to maintain, Just should know how to keep up on the front adjustments and take a peak at the shoes once in a while,
    Nice bikes,
    Like other here, We have the TW and something bigger, Or way bigger,
    Maybe I am an oddball, But I west a bright green or orange vest while riding, Its an extra measure to ensure folks see me, Seems to help too,
    Stay safe!
    Peter B

Welcome to both you and your daughter!

Looks like she's found a nice TW and is already putting it to good use. There is a lot of good info here on the forum but sometimes it can be hard to find, so feel free to ask questions. I grew up in central Ohio (Delaware) and went to school in southwest Ohio (Miami University), so I know the types of roads that you have around there. The TW will be a great bike for her!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Why the grease pen?
    Just keeping track of how far she is going since the last fill up.

I personally will go until my bike(s) hit reserve or the low fuel light comes on, but we're learning the range of the TW and not teaching any bad habits yet. Previous owner mentioned a somewhat restricted flow on reserve, so I may have a clogged screen or something. I'll get to it later.
    Tom Witt ~ Southwest Ohio
    93 Yamaha TW200 (Daughter's Bike)
    06 Triumph Tiger 955i · 00 Triumph Adventurer 900 · 99 Triumph Trophy 1200 · 98 MZ Baghira 660 · 86 Honda CH250 Elite · 81 Suzuki GS750 Cafe (Project)

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Looks like she's found a nice TW and is already putting it to good use. There is a lot of good info here on the forum but sometimes it can be hard to find, so feel free to ask questions. I grew up in central Ohio (Delaware) and went to school in southwest Ohio (Miami University), so I know the types of roads that you have around there. The TW will be a great bike for her!
    She is currently taking classes at the Hamilton campus of Miami University, but still being a high school student may be jumping around to different locations and schools over the next year depending on what suits her wants/needs.
    Tom Witt ~ Southwest Ohio
    93 Yamaha TW200 (Daughter's Bike)
    06 Triumph Tiger 955i · 00 Triumph Adventurer 900 · 99 Triumph Trophy 1200 · 98 MZ Baghira 660 · 86 Honda CH250 Elite · 81 Suzuki GS750 Cafe (Project)

That is pretty awesome. You will have one soon...tw's seem to travel to garages in pairs!
    -13 TW200
    -08 DRZ400s
    -08 Roadstar warrior
    -15 Sherco ST 3.0
    -08 Aprilia Tuono
    -Missing my DR650 a little bit

I've keep pestering my 26 yr. old daughter to get her permit and go riding with her favorite daddy. She lives just 2 miles down the road but is married with 3 kids 5 yrs. and under at home. Maybe this year she'll get the permit and her hubby or Grandma could watch the kids so we could do a little riding. She's not a cruiser type girl either. She's the "spin mud on Daddy" type of girl!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links