Close

Like Tree29Likes
  • 2 Post By Dennis
  • 5 Post By JerseyJeeper
  • 7 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 8 Post By plumbstraight
  • 5 Post By Leisure Time Larry

Thread: How is the TW200 off-road ride unique?

How is the TW200 off-road ride unique?

Hi guys, I know the TW200 v XT250 (or similar dual sport) has been done to death but I'm curious as to how these bikes differ off-road (other than deep mud where we know the TV200 will shine.) I'm ready to buy one of these used but can't ride either first. Is the TW200 nimble? I'm planning on doing a lot of riding in Moab and I wonder how those fat tires are going to handle all of the rocks.

Think mountain goat vs gazelle. One is fast, one is slower but much steadier. I'm not so sure it's great in mud though, two wheels is not great in the mud regardless.

IMG_5828.JPG
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 03-06-2017 at 07:35 PM.

While not great in diameter the TW's relatively heavy tires create more rotational inertia than a conventional trail bikes. This is sort of like additional flywheel weight in that bikes tends to keep rolling up and over obstacles rather than stalling the engine. The negative of this greater gyroscopic stability is that unlike a simple heavier flywheel coupled with skinny tires the TW does not like to change direction as rapidly. Thus, not as nimble as a GasGas Trials bike but plenty good for Moab. That same rotational inertia is a plus for Moab's rock ledges in my opinion. You won't loft the TW tire over any ledges, but you just may roll up and over them.
    Another way of looking at this is consider all the Moab related TW stories and videos...does a single one feature a dropped, stalled or crashed TW? Not that I recall ( maybe we just edit out the boo-boos).
    Seat height comes into play too. Sitting a bit lower compared to a XT250 the average TW rider has less to fear of full lock turn tip overs at crawling speeds since a foot dab is so easy.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi guys, I know the TW200 v XT250 (or similar dual sport) has been done to death but I'm curious as to how these bikes differ off-road (other than deep mud where we know the TV200 will shine.) I'm ready to buy one of these used but can't ride either first. Is the TW200 nimble? I'm planning on doing a lot of riding in Moab and I wonder how those fat tires are going to handle all of the rocks.
    Ken and Dennis like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Don't matter what anyone says, so here is just one more opinion. A TW is the most fun on two wheels you can put between your legs. I enjoy it and the folks that ride them much more than the Goldwing and Vulcan that I have. Is the reason I have 3 of them, never know when a friend needs a fun ride or a bike quits on one of our epic rides.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Agree with above, and my personal input is that...I mostly sit when I ride the TW. Low and slow, tractor style. Of course you stand when you need to, but not all day like when you are riding a skinny tired bike like your hair is on fire. It really all depends on you, your plans and your riding style. Sure, we all have a blast in Moab, but the TW is certainly an unconventional bike for there. That's why we like to all get together there annually, like in a few weeks. We ride our way. We don't ride cliffhanger or other difficult rated trails. There are plenty of good offroading TW videos to show the differences and what it can do.

This recent thread spells it out pretty good too. https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...d-crf250l.html
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 03-06-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Sponosred Links