Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Newbie

Hello, I'm a newbie to the TW200 world, I've been looking for a used one for under 1k, There is a guy close to me that has a '88 for $550 (pic below), says it runs but it missing gas cap, headlight and ignition, does that seem like a decent price? I've been seeing a lot of custom TW200's (café style maybe?) that I like so I might go down that route, Is there a good site that you guys use to get parts or custom seats,headlights, etc. Thanks in advance! -PJ

tw200.png

Welcome to the forum!! I think that one is a 87 though. It's kind of rare to find a good running TW for under $1,000. That one will need some work. Just new tires will run you a couple hundred... and so on...
    Quote Originally Posted by pragan14 View Post
    Hello, I'm a newbie to the TW200 world, I've been looking for a used one for under 1k, There is a guy close to me that has a '88 for $550 (pic below), says it runs but it missing gas cap, headlight and ignition, does that seem like a decent price? I've been seeing a lot of custom TW200's (café style maybe?) that I like so I might go down that route, Is there a good site that you guys use to get parts or custom seats,headlights, etc. Thanks in advance! -PJ

tw200.png
    pragan14 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!! I think that one is a 87 though. It's kind of rare to find a good running TW for under $1,000. That one will need some work. Just new tires will run you a couple hundred... and so on...
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured it would be a project for under $1000, would you pass on that one though? I didn't know if it was a decent deal or not

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

tw200.png
    Even for $550 (and maybe you can negotiate a lower price), at the very least you could part it out and get your money back if not more. Since it runs, and you could verify that prior to purchase, that is a plus but make sure it runs not only at idle but going down the street/road.

Gas caps can be bought.

Same for headlight stuff.

With missing ignition, I would verify the TW is not stolen and if the owner has the title. Caution here as you wouldn't want to be buying a stolen vehicle. VIN check with police may be in order.

Looks mostly intact with all the other parts though it looks like left rear turn signal is broken as it's hanging down and plastic above muffler is melted. A lot of this TW can be spruced up with paint, new parts, etc. on you time. Of course there are a couple immediate needs (Gas cap).

I would not buy this thinking you can start using it to commute to work/school and will take some time to be brought back to life.

That's just a few things I can think of to tell you. Other members will have other idea's as well. Good luck.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I would be surprised if you could keep it under $1000. Did you try the kick start lever to see if the engine is frozen? Also bounce the front & rear suspension to see if the forks/shocks work OK.

If you wanted to put it back to original condition it will probably run over $1000. You would be better finding one closer to original and running even if it is over $1000.

On the other hand it may be a good starting point for a custom bike but that would easily go over $1k. Another alternative is a spare parts doner bike.
    admiral, littletommy and pragan14 like this.

I really appreciate the advice guys, he says bill of sale no title so I might ask him to take a pic of the vin# and I can run a check on it, It would be just for fun riding around the neighborhood and stuff like that, also I don't mind putting money into over time I just wanted to start out with one under $1000 then slowly fix it up over time,
    Last edited by pragan14; 03-08-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    admiral and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeline View Post

On the other hand it may be a good starting point for a custom bike but that would easily go over $1k. Another alternative is a spare parts doner bike.
    ^^ that's kind of what I was thinking, a running project bike that I can work on from time to time
    littletommy likes this.

littletommy likes this.

The no title thing isn't so good... just sayin... Keep us posted what ever you do. We'll do our best to help you fixing it up!!
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured it would be a project for under $1000, would you pass on that one though? I didn't know if it was a decent deal or not
    Beeline, admiral, Tweaker and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Id pass myself with no title, that right their will cost ya and will be a headache more then likely.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links