Getting the bike home
Close

Wow! What a great forum! I have been lurking here for awhile and have concluded that the TW is the bike for me. Being a new rider I signed up for the basic safety course and low and behold there was a TW in the group of bikes. So I grabbed that one and had a great day learning and checking out the TW. So I should be able to get my motorcycle licence soon and will be shopping for a TW.

Now to my question, I live out in the boonies and all the TWs I see for sale are in the nearest city about 2.5 hours from home. Most of my riding will be on Forest Service dirt roads but to get the bike home from the city will require travel on a moderately used Hwy with a speed limit of 70 mph. That's a bit intimidating for a new rider. Guess I could round up a trailer but I would rather ride it home. Any suggestions? The course instructor spoke highly of the TW on dirt roads but was not very positive about getting it out on the open road.

I highly recommend AGAINST riding it home. Not only for the fact that you're a beginner and you are definitely not ready for highspeed riding (Don't wanna kill yourself before you get started!) but unless you can go about 40-50 mph without getting run over the whole way it's gonna be hard on the bike.

Assuming you pick one up with stock gearing there's no way you will want to go 70 on it for any period of time. (Red line is 74 mph!) Even 60 is quite hard on it, with stock gearing it's best under 50 mph. Plus if you buy used it may need some maintenance before being on the road anyway, plus it may not be road registered and such so you may get in trouble. I know the concept of riding the bike home is really cool, but in this situation it is not practical AT ALL.

The TW is best at what you want to use it for, exploring off road anywhere between 5-45 mph. You can regear it to run 50-65 on the road comfortably, but that kills some off road performance. And of course, if you can live with a maximum happy cruise of 45-50 mph you can use it on the road too, with stock gearing.

Bottom line, you would be a fool to ride it for 2-3 hours to get it home. However if it's like a 5-10 minute ride on backroads that's a different story, as long as the bike is mechanically alright go for it!
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Has anyone used one of those bike carriers that fits on a receiver hitch? I see one on ebay rated to 500 pounds. How would that work to haul a TW200?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cordite View Post
    Has anyone used one of those bike carriers that fits on a receiver hitch? I see one on ebay rated to 500 pounds. How would that work to haul a TW200?

They work well. Just be sure the track is wide enough for the TW tire. Not all of them are.

You also need to make sure that the vehicle you are using can carry the weight. Figure the weight of the bike and the weight of the carrier. Some of them weigh over 100 lbs. Aluminum is ~ half that. Don't forget the tie downs. Worst case scenario, you could always rent a trailer.
    If you think getting old is bad;

Consider the alternative.

I just bought my '05 TW 2 weeks ago, 100 miles away. Before I went to get it, I bought: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm (Aluminum Rack), and it fit like a glove. No issues.

Actually, I found the rack on Craigslist for $100 about 20 miles away...

The back tire is a little wider than the rack gap, but most of it goes down in the gap, and it's plenty sturdy. 4 ratchet straps and 2 cam-straps to tie the wheels to the rack, and it's great!
    TW200, Bruin, Sportsman, Ranger, Wrangler
    ----> Old Age Ain't for Sissies!

I used a bike rack to get my TW home. The guy threw it in with the bike. Made the 400 mile trip home no problem. I wouldn't ride that sucka home 2/3 hours on the highway without going through it first, might crap out on you. Plus the fact it's dangerous for beginner with little to no experience. Borrow a buddy's truck, get a trailer or rack. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm buying a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by cordite View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm buying a rack.
    Don't forget to make sure the bike does not block the tail and turn lights on your primary vehicle. I added trailer lights to my rack to provide added visibility. Tom

Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Sponosred Links