TW 200 Or Jeep For Back Country Exploring
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: TW 200 Or Jeep For Back Country Exploring

TW 200 Or Jeep For Back Country Exploring

I am on my third 200 but my brother wants to start back country exploring and trying to decide on a jeep or a TW. Perhaps another member here that has both can give us some feedback - why one or the other.

Thanks
    littletommy, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

You must not have let him ride yours yet, or he would have already decided...
    Quote Originally Posted by RikR View Post
    I am on my third 200 but my brother wants to start back country exploring and trying to decide on a jeep or a TW. Perhaps another member here that has both can give us some feedback - why one or the other.

Thanks
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have both. A super charged TJ - I love the jeep and take it off road, but find I use the Jeep for going skiing and going out into the woods to go shooting. The Jeep is slow going off road and you are stuck exploring on fire roads/wider trails - no single track, no zipping thru the woods, jumping berms going into the trees to get around a fallen tree...or closed gate. I will never sell my Jeep -it's great for some things and not so good at others. I would consider a Quad for back woods travel/exploring before a Jeep if uncomfortable on 2 wheels. I'm still surprising myself where I go on the Dub! I'm going to Caldor out in Grizzly Flat in an hour or so - should be able to get way out there today, a lot of the snow has melted -- the Jeep could easily take this trip...but it would be way "tamer" and less fun imo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Apples to Oranges. You'll need both to really decide rather others opinions. But I'll bet you'd keep both too.

IMG_4743.JPG

I have had both-still have the TW don't have the Jeep! Jeep keep you dry and takes people with you. MC will go anywhere the Jeep will (street legal jeep at least) the Jeep will not take you everywhre the TW will go. Winter-Jeep wins hands down up here in "The Great White North". I say Stagewex has it right. Jeep with a carrier with a TW.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

We just bought a Hyper-Green CK. Now my wife and I can go off road together. That said the Dub's staying and getting even more farkles.

Why three TW's?

Quote Originally Posted by RikR View Post

Thanks
    How have you gone through 3 TW's?

Both: TW and Jeep the way to go but consider to add quad, 6 wheel amphibious, snow mobile, quad-copter for filming from the top and I would want my own paraglider to observe it all from above. Oh those toys. Guess TW is it for me ...

A TW will go where no Jeep will ever dare! I guess maybe if you live in wide open desert spaces the jeep might be a good option but around here in the forests the trails I find most fun to explore are way too narrow for even a lot of the ATVs. The TW in most off road riding leaves no foot prints while a jeep would tear things up real quick. I don't even need a trail in many spots and can just pick my way through the trees to get to that way back fishing hole where the big trout lay. If you have the $$$ to buy both then you will quickly learn where you have to park the jeep is where the TW keeps on going.

GaryL
    littletommy, Ken, joeband and 4 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I never owned a jeep but I do go off roading on my TW with a few Jeep enthusiasts and also own an ATV. The TW can go most anywhere the lifted jeeps go and can also scoot to places the jeeps can't. But the one area I have not got by is DEEP water crossings. Some of the trails we ride have a few water crossings and for most the TW is fine or can go around. but the deeper river crossings mean either making a makeshift bridge or turning around. Same story for MY ATV. It's bone stock. It lifted and not snorkelled so it too sits too low for some of the water crossings. I also don't ride my tw for hours down a highway to get to trails I end up trailering it while the jeeps guys drive there go off roading and drive home.

That being said. The tw gets me to some amazing places and all at a minuscule comperative cost. I'd also venture to say the TW is far more fun to explore on as well. Comparing my TW to the ATV. The ATV is just as capable as the TW and is a LOT easier to operate. But it just not as exciting it does not engage you as a rider as much. So for me the TW is my machine of choice.

One other item to consider is the TWs major limiting factor on determining were it can take you is essentially you as the rider. With a jeep the driver does influence were a jeep can go to a smaller extent but the size of your wallet aka how much you can modify the jeep also plays a big roll.
    Last edited by Tinybear; 04-02-2017 at 04:43 AM.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links