New or Used?
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: New or Used?

New or Used?

Hi I'm new here. First post. In the next few days I'm going to buy a TW200 but I am facing a big time dilemma. There are 2 bikes locally that would be perfect. One is a "used" 2012 that only has 44 miles on it. Talking with the seller now and really leaning towards getting this bike. The other is a "new" 2016 leftover model at the dealer with 150 miles on it, but still new and deeply discounted. I am torn. There is about a Thousand dollar difference between the 2 and I'm really trying to figure out what the smart move is. Iím concerned that the 2012 might have sat with fluids for a while but Iím not sure how big of a deal that really is. So, any advice? Great forum by the way. Iím enjoying learning about these bikes.

rbm
    What are the prices? That will be the determining factor...
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

i don't think I would worry about the fluids. New gas and Seafoam should clean up the carb. What color bike do you like the best?
    If Iím ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I really like the 2012 best and it has over 100 fewer miles. The prices get tricky because of dealer fees and such but it's roughly 1,000-1,200 more for the 2016 after fees.

I know is not an easy decision but if it was me considering that the only difference between both is the color, I would get the '12 and use the diffence to install some up grades. You won't go wrong either way. Maybe you can push for a better discount on the '16??
    Good luck and enjoy it.

"over 100 fewer miles" ?? these bikes are good for tens of thousands of miles... 100 here or there is nothing.

does the 2012 start up and run smoothly? if it does, grab it at $1000 less and invest that in basic mods to dial it in to your specs.
    enjoy the exciting world of t-dubs.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by xicarro View Post
    I know is not an easy decision but if it was me considering that the only difference between both is the color, I would get the '12 and use the diffence to install some up grades. You won't go wrong either way. Maybe you can push for a better discount on the '16??
    Good luck and enjoy it.
    I've pushed hard for discounts on the 16. I've walked away twice now but it's about time to make a decision. I appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    "over 100 fewer miles" ?? these bikes are good for tens of thousands of miles... 100 here or there is nothing.

does the 2012 start up and run smoothly? if it does, grab it at $1000 less and invest that in basic mods to dial it in to your specs.
    enjoy the exciting world of t-dubs.
    I haven't had a chance to actually see the 12 in person yet. But the pics look very clean. I'm leaning towards agreeing with you if it does run well.

So the concensus is that even if the 2012 sat for 4 years with the fluids in it, that really shouldn't be a problem?

if it runs well, the carb should be clean. you can run seafoam to be sure. change the oil and you should be good to go. at 5 years old the tires should still be good, though depends on whether it was parked inside or out. they run $200+

check procycle's tw200 page for rough ideas on prices, though other sites abound.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links