• 1 Post By slinger
  • 1 Post By BigSlick
  • 4 Post By ToolmanJohn
  • 1 Post By slinger
  • 1 Post By ZXtasy
  • 1 Post By BigSlick

Thread: 5th wheel bike hauler.

5th wheel bike hauler.

I need a good bike hauler that will attach to the back of a 5th wheel camper. For a TW200 NOT a Goldwing.
    Any suggestions...?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I'm interested in what you come up with. I'm likely going to put a front hitch on my truck and use a hitch carrier on it. If I put a hitch on the back of my 5er, it would void my frame warranty.

Well Slinger I got nuthin. Amazon has a bunch of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The idea for a front mounted hitch is a good one. As long as the front axle weight rating isn't exceeded making it unsafe. I suggest taking your rig (truck and 5th wheel) to a CAT scale and getting everything weighed. After you know the front rear and trailer axles load, you could decide if it could be done. Typically it only costs $11 and a couple minutes on the scale. It will take more effort to hook up and drive to a CAT scale (truck stop usually).

Installing a receiver on the back of a standard travel trailer will be a problem only from two standpoints.

First, whether it's a 5th wheel or bumper pull trailer, the trailer frame wasn't likely designed heavy enough to take the force of a 300 pound payload on the rear end. You would need to pay a welder to make a beefed up attachment point to hold a 2 inch receiver for a motorcycle carrier. The additional total weight will be around 400 pounds (motorcycle and carrier and new framework for receiver). Th height may also be a problem for loading and unloading.

The second issue will be sway. Adding a large weight on the tail end of a trailer behind the axles will influence stability, even on a 5th wheel, and it may have negative unintended consequences with safety and handling.

I recently ordered a small toy hauler travel trailer for carrying my TW and also bicycles. I had a small camper for over 4 years for mountain biking, but it's impossible to use as a motorcycle carrier as well. I had to bite the bullet and upgrade so I can trailer the TW, and have nice living quarters. Nothing beats having your own bed and bathroom while travelling. I'm committed to seeing more of the country in the coming years, and taking the TW with me.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

I've had my rig on the CAT scale, and I have almost 800 lbs of reserve on the front axle and a little over 700 lbs of reserve on the GVWR.

The front carrier is certainly the easiest (and cheapest) solution for me, but I am not thrilled with the TW blocking the front of the truck. I have a long bed, and I was thinking it would be really nice to haul the TW behind the cab on top of my tool box. I know I wouldn't get to 90 degrees while the TW was loaded, but I should have enough clearance for normal maneuvering. I would have to unload before doing any tight campground maneuvering. This solution would require a custom winch and hauler solution. I have some ideas, but I am not sure all of the effort and expense would be worth it.

I agree that the TW is the perfect exploration vehicle, and it needs to come along for the trips.

For the OP, there are swivel wheel trailers that look pretty promising. They essentially add an extended platform to the back of your trailer but do not add the extra load to the trailer frame. It looks like triple towing, but it is not and still allows you to backup with it attached. Google swivel wheel trailers to see some examples. Here's one manufacturer:
    Smart Trailers

If they made one of these small enough for a TW, I would consider it.

Swivel trailer is a great idea. Why so many wheels? I thought one would be plenty??? I would think a double receiver hitch (two receivers on the rear of two vehicle), a light weight platform, and one swivel wheel would work very well. Just a thought. I'm not an engineer.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

I made a dual receiver with aluminum tilting ramp for the back of our first RV, a 22 foot Alpenlite 5th wheel. Hauled wife's Buell Blast and then TW with no problems..all over. A front mount on truck was considered, but did not want to block cooling. We finally made the change to a bumper pull so both of our bikes, TW or Ninja's, and the generator can go in the bed. Have never looked back and it is the way to go. Some states, few I believe, allow double hitching. Most toy haulers unless you go big and expensive, are just a barren box and not very homey. IMHO
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    Swivel trailer is a great idea. Why so many wheels? I thought one would be plenty??? I would think a double receiver hitch (two receivers on the rear of two vehicle), a light weight platform, and one swivel wheel would work very well. Just a thought. I'm not an engineer.
    I've seen a few manufacturers with similar designs ... Some with a single swivel and some with two. I think it depends on the weight capacity of the swivel trailer.

I would love to see a reduced weight and cost design that is suited for a bike the size of a TW.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolmanJohn View Post

I recently ordered a small toy hauler travel trailer for carrying my TW and also bicycles. I had a small camper for over 4 years for mountain biking, but it's impossible to use as a motorcycle carrier as well. I had to bite the bullet and upgrade so I can trailer the TW, and have nice living quarters. Nothing beats having your own bed and bathroom while travelling. I'm committed to seeing more of the country in the coming years, and taking the TW with me.
    Toy hauler would be ideal. Been looking at them but getting it past the Mrs is the tough part.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Sponosred Links