My first ever barn find and my first bike!!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: My first ever barn find and my first bike!!

My first ever barn find and my first bike!!

So while going to pick up my son's first ever dirt bike from a friend, we get a call about one of my brothers customers who has what is described as an older "on-road/off-road dirt bike" and they only want a hundred dollars to make room in the garage.
    Not one word about the make model year or anything. So without knowing anything other than there could be over triple the value in parts, no matter the condition, I offered up the first hundred bucks.
    I've never owned a bike myself, but I dreamed of riding along side my son since we first talked about getting him a bike.
    So when we go to pick up this "old bike" and help free up garage space, I notice we are in a very well to do area. When we get to the back of this very large and expensive garage, there sit's the most amazing bike!!! It even seems like it was meant for a fat guy like me with the fat tires..
    Turns out that her late (and very well off) husband bought it new and only rode it a few times so it lived it's whole life in the garage. Only thing we had to do was put in a new battery, clean out the carb, add gas, and then add air to the tires.
    This thing has almost NO signs of being used ever!!!! No marks on the side covers, not a scratch on any plastics or anywhere.
    Only thing missing was an M in the Yamaha on the back fender.
    I have since really started to find a love for this bike (and saving 30 bucks in fuel each week helps that alot)..
    I really find it cool that this bike is so reliable and dependable that it has its own cult like following,,,, I'm definitely glad to join the ranks..
    Hope to add some "as she sat photos" at the end of the post!
    (And yes, the odometer works fine, it only had 632.1 miles on it,,,, not bad for an old 96...)
    Yeah,,,, best hundo this man has ever spent!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since buying this hundred dollar gem,,, I've added a lil rack to tote stuff and I've done an oil change (which scared me seeing metal but figured it to be the first oil change ever so I relaxed a tad).
    Got the LED headlight to install and I'm looking to fashion up a cool fishing pole holder.
    She now has 700 miles and I was thinking that a valve adjustment may be in order, just trying to find the specs for that.
    I live in the middle of the desert and was wondering what some of the better mods people have been doing to their TW's????
    littletommy, Lomax, Ken and 3 others like this.

Wow, did you ever get the deal of the day!! That's about the best deal I've ever heard of here on the forum.

Welcome!!

Intake .002 / .004
    Exhaust .004 / .006

Adjust cold (overnight) or at room temperature.

Look in our technical section, the first thing you see, is technical write-ups. You will find downloadable service manuals there.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great find, definitely a bargain if ever there was one!!

New tires, lube cables, new chain (O-Ring), lube speedo gear in front wheel, might need a seat foam refresh (they age as well), you did the battery, and other than a fresh oil change and fresh fuel, you should be all set.

Run some fuel treatment through the system (Seafoam or other), and change the fuel lines as a matter of course . All those rubber, foam, and plastic bits are over 20 years old.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Great deal you got there!!!! Probably want to look at replacing those old tires and check the foam air filter and spark plug.

You should have bought a lottery ticket that day also.
    Phelonius

Lucky duck.....
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Great deal!!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Great score for sure but go to the general discussion section and to TWs by the year pictures. You will quickly see you are missing a lot more than the M in Yamaha on the rear fender. All the original graphics have been removed and I don't have a clue how he did it. IMO that does no mean a bad deal in any way but it is rather weird how the tank looks like new but the decals are gone as well as on all the plastics.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlizzy View Post
    She now has 700 miles and I was thinking that a valve adjustment may be in order, just trying to find the specs for that.
    I live in the middle of the desert and was wondering what some of the better mods people have been doing to their TW's????
    Valve adjustment: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...clearance.html
    There is also a link to the service manuals in that technical write-ups section.
    Wider footpegs, brush busters (a must), bar risers, set the fork oil level (in the write-ups) seat mods.
    If you are going to use it on gnarly stuff like the Crown King road or above 4,000 in the mountains and not much on highways you might want to drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket.
    Change the oil again at 1,000 and then go to full synthetic at 1,500....clutch and gearshifts will work a bit better.

You could probably get away with just a new front (Shinko 241) if you are going to ride mostly in the dirt, but those old tires are too brittle for the pavement.....meaning poor cornering and stopping ability.
    Replace chain with an O-ring type now and enjoy 10,000 miles of trouble free riding without adjustment.

my 2 cents.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links