Bridgestone TW204 & 203 Tire advice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Bridgestone TW204 & 203 Tire advice

Bridgestone TW204 & 203 Tire advice

I'm thinking of replacing my original knobbies on my '07 TW200 with these Bridgestones. I mainly ride on gravel and dirt fire roads and about 30% street use. Good choice or should I stick with the Knobs? Thanks
    Ken likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Although those tires will work fine, I think a new stock rear and a Shinko 241 or Pirelli MT 43 trials type for the front would be the best for what you describe.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I'm with Larry. Stick with the stock rear and put a Shinko 241 on the front....they will do fine on the pavement and be much better in the dirt/gravel.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have one bike with knobs on – and one with the 203/204 combination

The 203/204 tread pattern is designed to put as much rubber on the road as possible, while still allowing for the occasional off road foray. In gravel, they tend to drift, and the same goes for dry dirt, where the surface rubber has no grip at all (eg 90% of the 203/204 tires profile)

Where they do excel is on tarmac, where the rubber can get a grip and do what it’s best at. So for 70% road use, they are excellent. In such circumstances they are more capable of sustained high speed running, producing less drag for more grip – off-road the opposite is true

We have a member here (bananachunks) who swears by them, but again, the on-road/off-road suits his rides.

The TW34 (knobbly) rear is widely acknowledged as having as much grip as the smoother version, but over a wider set of circumstances, both on and off road. Sure, it will still drift in the loose stuff, but offers more grip when you need it. The TW31 (front stock knobbly) however, is lethal at best, and is usually replaced as soon as possible (followed by the front brake and clutch levers) – affectionately referred to as the “death wing” - you get the picture

There are many options for a knobbly front tire, the Shinko 241 is the current favourite, but it’s a matter of personal choice.

What I can’t personally recommend is a mix of smooth and knobbly – tried it – expensive mistake (handling issues)

Your buck – your choice – but for the riding you do, perhaps not a good idea …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks all-Decided to keep the original rear and replace the front with the Shinko 241. Love this forum!
    jtstdub, Ken, fishguy and 3 others like this.

You will be very happy with the Shinko 241, both on and off road. Around 18 psi on road, maybe higher for long stretches at full speed, around 12 to 14 in the dirt. I've had mine up to 60 mph at those low pressures for 5 miles or so, but beyond that I would air up...mileage is distinctly better at 18 psi and above, front and rear.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Frenchy, I have the Shrinko 241's on the front of both my Tw's, I replaced the originals way before they needed it.
    I can tell you this it was the one huge difference right off the bat. I love them.
    I am thinking about replacing the rears only because they are over 25 Years old, they steal have a ton of tread and I have never had a flat tire, and I hardy ever have to add air.
    I just wonder if they might be getting a little brittle. I hate to wast $300 bucks if there will be no noticeable difference.
    Ken and littletommy like this.

At 25 years old, they are dangerous!! Replace them ASAP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjeff View Post
    Frenchy, I have the Shrinko 241's on the front of both my Tw's, I replaced the originals way before they needed it.
    I can tell you this it was the one huge difference right off the bat. I love them.
    I am thinking about replacing the rears only because they are over 25 Years old, they steal have a ton of tread and I have never had a flat tire, and I hardy ever have to add air.
    I just wonder if they might be getting a little brittle. I hate to wast $300 bucks if there will be no noticeable difference.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjeff View Post
    I feel your pain but you gotta replace the 25 year old rear tire. You WILL notice a difference! Have we EVER lied to you?

Replacing my 10yo rear with new was noticeable! A ittle better off road and a lot quieter on road.
    cowboyjeff, littletommy and Ken like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links