If you know how to ride, you don't need them.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A BMW GS pilot on his way to Central America told me that when I asked him about off road tires for my F650. He may be right.

Today, I tried my new old 2001 on a county road for the first time. Occasional hard packed red clay and gravel separated by hundreds of yards drifting blow sand parted by truck tires, the TW veered luridly right and left as I kept the power on. Uncomfortable standing, my butt was light in the saddle while my weight was loaded on the pegs. Quite nerve wracking. Asphalt never looked so good.

You are all my heroes, but tell me, will I ever be able to relax in the dirt?
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Yes.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Dirt can be spooky at first,but it gets better. Just keep the front tire pointed in the direction you want to go.
    You never know what you can do until you have to undo something you have done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sure....You didn't mention your age, like a lot of things, easier to get used to when your younger (IMO). If you get a chance to pick up On Any Sunday You can watch Malcom Smith, Mert Lawwill and Steve McQueen do it about the best. I've never seen anyone ride like Malcom Smith-nice and loose and focused. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

I am right there with you, I just started on the dirt when I got my TW. I am still pretty uncomfortable on the dirt, but I can already see where I am improving and I feel like I am able to move faster as I spend more time in the dirt. Try putting a foot out when turning, helped me tons.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Back in the good old days when helmets were optional, insurance not required and you only needed to be 15 1/2 years old with a learners permit. And gasoline was 25 cents a gallon for regular and it was 92 octane.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Dirt is getting easier for me, while sand is very difficult. Practice makes perfect!
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    A BMW GS pilot on his way to Central America told me that when I asked him about off road tires for my F650. He may be right.

Today, I tried my new old 2001 on a county road for the first time. Occasional hard packed red clay and gravel separated by hundreds of yards drifting blow sand parted by truck tires, the TW veered luridly right and left as I kept the power on. Uncomfortable standing, my butt was light in the saddle while my weight was loaded on the pegs. Quite nerve wracking. Asphalt never looked so good.

You are all my heroes, but tell me, will I ever be able to relax in the dirt?
    X2................. 6 years ago my wife and were verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry frightened of back roads. Now we seek them out... P.S. Still don't like loose sand... Yuk. It will become more fun as the miles go up. Have fun.. And don't get to cocky. (o; OMM.

Riding my TW on dirt & gravel has really helped me handle my Versys off road. The TW is alot more forgiving and easier to throw around which helps build confidence and dirt skills. Plus it is alot of fun & not such a big deal if you occasionally loose it.
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

I have not rode my versys off road much just in our pastersan afew dirt roads.Thats where the tw comes into play

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links