Gps
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gps

Gps

I was wondering if a person could use a GPS like used in a car to show back roads or trails. Sofa i have not been able to find out if like a Garman gps would show these trails or rock roads. Does any one know or have used the car units for this.

I use one that allows different map layers to be used. I'll put a topo on in places where trails are shown but it's hit and miss. I don't know if any car units that allow this.

While I haven't invested in one yet, GPSKevin recommends the Garmin Nuvi. This guy is a trail riding fool who seems to know his stuff. If you have a bit more change in your pocket, you can buy the motorcycle oriented GPS units that are already waterproofed. But his page has tips on waterproofing the Nuvi to suit most of our needs.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a nuvi on the right handlebar and the other one on the left. The nuvi dies not allow tops, at least mine doesn't but it does lay tracks for track back and that's a great feature to have.

I used a Garmin Montana that allows both highway maps and great Topo maps. Still have the entire set up I removed from my last TW with all the mounting for power on the bars. Great units and perfect for your desired needs.

GaryL
    cowboyjeff, Bagger and goldenhtr like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

If you can put a card in the Nuvi, you can access and enable or disable the maps on that card. I won't say EVERY NUVI but it's been fine on all the ones I've used...way back from the little square ones to the newer unit I have with Bluetooth and blah blah.... I've used TopoCanada on an SD card with several of my Nuvi's with no issue.
    Here's how to enable/disable extra maps: (Scroll down to the Nuvi section....)
    https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutoria...-a-garmin-gps/

There are also great apps for smart phones that offer way more options, minimal investment, large clear screen, and let you carry one less device around.
    Rever is an app I liked, Google maps now lets you download and save maps offline.

I have used a LOT of different Garmin handhelds for geocaching and logging every KM in my jeeping and ATV days, and now that I found an app called LocusMapPro, I actually sold my Garmin handheld and now do all my GPS-y stuff in that app. I have no affiliation, but if you're looking for a smart phone app that does everything a dedicated GPS unit does (but better), try it. There's a learning curve, but mainly because it gives you so many options.
    For instance....
    GPS or most other apps: "Import"
    This app...gives you the option of importing into a folder, a nested folder, downloading and tagging each waypoint with missing data (altitude, etc) automatically, dleating all data in the chosen folder and replacing it with this new data, etc etc...

I'm a big fan of a file and folder structure rather than a database where you really (mostly) have no idea where your data is. This app works great with folders, sub-folders, etc.
    Again, the amount of options are a little mind-boggling, but I like software that lets me do things the way *I* want, not the way that the developer felt would be best for the majority of users, but possibly being completely opposite to how *I* want. So....for me, lots of options is better than no options.

I tried and tried to find an app that did everything my handheld could do, but had added features for easily storing and organizing all my data, backing it up, all kinds of different map options, integrated superbly with geocaching....woooo!
    I'm a cheap bugger and always find a way to do stuff like that free. With this one, I tried the free version for a day, and paid the $10 for the full version the next day.

If you don't mind doing a bit of online research, you can do what you're asking...and free. While there are shady ways of 'finding' and using software, you can also accomplish what you're trying to do at GPSFileDepot. They have a big community that has built maps that you can put on a card and the Garmin units will play well with them. Usually there are at least 2 pieces of software involved to "Garminize" a map so it will play with their operating system.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 04-13-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    cowboyjeff and Tweaker like this.

Thanks for all the device from everyone. This gives me a lot to think about.

Garmin Montana with 24K topo maps. You could probably find a used 600 like mine on Fleabay or Craiglist. With the rugged mount they are very tough and waterproof. As noted, the 24K state maps at GPSFileDepot are free.
    goldenhtr likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Anyone try the Garmin inReach Satalite Communicator? Kinda pricey but had a lot of features. SOS calls also

I've got a Garmin E Trex 10. A basic hiking type GPS. Good for marking way points for later re-visiting or re-tracing your ride if you get in unfamiliar territory. I don't want a GPS that shows me everything, I like a good adventure.
    Bagger likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links