Tools
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools

I ride a lot of different bikes in different places. Each one of them has a small tool roll tucked under a side cover or a back rest or somewhere obscur.

In the past 12 years of riding not once have I needed any of those tools.

When I see discussions about extra tools required I am forced to wonder - What For?

TW's are reported by everyone as amazingly reliable - is a tire pump really needed? I don't think that for 95% of the time it is -

If there is a catastrophic failure - I will call AAA for a tow home. ( I recognize you cannot do this from the boonies - but when I read through general messages I get the feeling that some folks "can't leave home without one" - compressor, tire irons - spare master chain link etc etc

I would like to hear what other think - are multiple extra tools needed or not?

A good reason for joining the American Motorcyclist Association -- FREE Roadside Assistance !

For the more rugged, independent, self-reliant type, the Iron Butt Association Archive of Knowledge, item 28, the Tool List.

If you don't have a life, my own experience with tools and flat tires.

As for my TW, the handle for the OEM screwdriver is missing. Would someone be kind enough to provide a picture or list of the Yamaha provided kit of tools so I can see if I am missing anything else. Thank you.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

I seem to carry everything under the sun. My excuse is 'being prepared'. In the many years that I have used two wheels to explore, I can only recall one time on my Honda trail 90 stopping trailside and taking stuff apart. Twice I was able to help other explorers get rolling again.

In reality, I seem to spend as much time setting my bike up for 'situations' than I do riding it. I like prepping/planning and fortunately I don't generally fixate on the negatives of 'what-if' events. A couple of years ago I got my amature radio license and installed a 2 meter radio in my TW's trunk. Like my Spot, this was to call for help should I need it. Since I ride mostly alone, should I need help, likely it would be the result of a fall and injury. Off and on it occured to me that should I fall and injure myself, that trunk mounted 2 meter would likely be worthless, as the antenna on the fallen bike would be pointed sideways, not skyward. What I now have is the addition of a handheld unit and a 15' extension cord that I can plug into one of two power outlets on the horizontal bike. With this, if I can stand, the extendable (high-gain) antenna can be pointed skyward and has some chance of getting a signal to someone. If I can't stand, I still can manipulate the handheld with some hope of contact.

Again, for me the planning is all part of the "fun". Should anyone have a problem trailside, it would be like a ray of sunshine to have someone like me happen by. Then again, it would be my pleasure to get you back on your way.

I understand your statement Bert, and agree, tools of any type will likely never be needed. Should the need arise, at least they give you something to do instead of standing around waiting for someone to happen by. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Besides the tools I always take a saw, pitch wood, gps some food extra liter of fuel, water , emergency blanket some rope and a bit of fishing line and lures and of course some cash lighters and multitool ride hard
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

You can never be too prepared for the unseen and only you know what you may need in the event of a break down. You live in an area where your life is endangered if you become stranded more than a certain distance from civilization. While the bike is reliable it is only a piece of machinery and is prone to failure. What might be more important for you in your area than an extensive tool kit would be some sort of signaling kit such as a Spot or Sat phone along with some means of starting a fire and possibly some food and a gun, in the event of a break down. Where you live I would think surviving the breakdown would be more important than getting the bike running. Having said that a tire repair kit and the basic tools with a hand pump and some spare gas along with a good supply of bug repelant might make you feel a bit more secure while out riding. Living where you live I'm sure you already know this.

Bug repellant? Great idea! I'll be swinging by Walmart today.

To determine the tools you need, do a complete tune and service and tire change on your bike. Pack only the tools you actually use. If you use a 10mm, but not the 11mm on the other end, and the 12mm but not the 13mm, cut the 11mm and 13 mm off and weld the 10mm and 12mm together to cut the number of wrenches in half. I don't carry duplicate functions, like box wrenches AND sockets and ratchet. Toss the sockets and ratchet to save weight. I also retrofit allen heads wherever possible--allen wrenches are smaller and lighter than screwdrivers and less likely to strip. Add some duct tape, JB Weld, bailing wire, and small vice-grips, and call it good. With some thought and prep, it is possible to reduce an adequate tool set to little more than the stock kit, which is pretty much junk and should be tossed.

Next time you do a tune and service and tire change, do all the work with only the tools in your kit.

That said, I've never actually had to do a repair on the trail other than crash damage. Vice-grips make a dandy emergency shift lever.

Ride-On is your friend.

The unpleasant truth is that the best emergency kit is adequate prep and thoughtful riding. Prepped bikes almost never break. Thoughfully ridden bikes almost never suffer crash damage.

I carry a number of tools with me, but let me be clear: the most used are listed below and fit in a small lock-n-lock container that stays in the front pocket of my tailbag always. Almost all of my servicing is done with just the following:

* 1/4" drive ratchet and short extension

* 10,12,14,17mm 1/4" drive sockets

* 18mm(?) deep well 1/4" drive socket (for sparkplug)

* the two common allen wrench sizes (forget what they are.. 5 and 8mm or something?)

^-- I've replaced most of my case screws with the ebay stainless kit, and the ones

that haven't been replaced are getting done as I take them out at home.

* compact type feeler gauges of various common sizes for the bike.

And probably the most novel and important item(s):

* small craftsman thumb-type screwdriver (bit driver type) and a handful of necessary bits: these are anodized aluminum things with knurling around them and a 1/4" drive input on the back that the ratchet/extension fits into: http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/d...00x200-0-0.jpg

^-- another handy bonus of having this on board; it's one of the only screwdrivers that can fit under the carb to live-adjust the pilot screw.

There are a few other items in the container, like a spark plug and master link, some common o-rings, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and I always have a leatherman blast on my belt, and a pocket knife with me; these two are a very underestimated combination.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Wow MrGiz. Well if tdubin doesnt work out you have a fully stocked and mobile Harbor Freight store.

Never thought of socks, I'll be adding them tomorrow along with vise grips.

I keep a very small task force socket wrench set I got on sale at Lowes for $5.

Ditto on the leatherman. I also keep several bungies with me at all times. They're handy when you have a step-off and sheer a bolt on your pannier mount... So I've heard.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Take a tampon for the cold and wet rides....and no it aint for your kitty..dip it in your gas tank, throw it in a pile of sticks and instant fire once you light it..
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Take a tampon for the cold and wet rides....and no it aint for your kitty..dip it in your gas tank, throw it in a pile of sticks and instant fire once you light it..

Xdac, what a great idea.... If I send you the money will you buy me a box? Think I would be embarassed. The Wife is post menopausal so I have none 'kickin' around the house. Again, pretty clever. Maybe I can make up a special Missing Link Award, but first better clear it with our Moderator. :-) Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links