New member looking for advice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey all, i haven't purchased a bike yet and have not ridden a bike since my little xr 80 when i was a kid, but i am looking at a cheap commuter and the TW caught my eye. I am looking at a 93 TW with around 3-4k miles, it looks like its in good shape in the pictures, other than possibly needing a new seat. When i go look at the bike in person what are some problem areas i should try to check out? What would you say a good price is? My drive is 80% city with a about a 5 minute highway spot that goes from 70-50 mph. I have been creeping around the site for a few days reading up on highway speeds and the changing of sprockets and rejetting of the carb and what not. How involved are these mods for a relatively newbie mechanic? It looks like the TW will be able to handle my commute in stock form, but i am a little more worried about riding it to the trails as i live in downtown san diego, and it seems to be all highway to get up to the trail heads. How are you guys getting to the trails? Anyway, i hope to catch up with some of you socal guys and hit the trails soon if you don't mind having a newbie along for the road. thanks for reading, and thanks again for any and all advice!

Welcome aboard.

It should be a perfect city commuter for the kind of commute you've described.

Lotta goofballs in here from your area.

Watch out for the dude from Poway, though.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Just a note, check if the tires chain and sprockets are original. I just bought a TW 2001 with 6000 miles, the tires were starting to crack and the sprockets/chain are beyond shot.

The stock chain from what I have read on this site is crap and you will probably want to replace it and the sprockets soon after you get just about any TW with a stock chain.

I wouldn't not buy knowing this things, but you will probably want to budget / have them in the back of your mind.
    -Szj

2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How will i know if the chain/sprockets are original or need replacing? Yeah i planned on checking out the tires, tires dont seem to pricy, im assuming the chain and sprocket aren't much either.

You've got mail.

Is the bike you're considering local?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If it runs and shifts smooth, most other issues would be cosmetic... these bikes are pretty indestructable and can still do well even if they've been neglected

I'm not sure what a fair price would be out there in socal but I bought my 95 a few years ago here in Wiscaaansin for $1,500 it had slightly less miles (under 1,000) but had been sitting around for years

Enjoy the addiction!
    1987 TW200 - Work in Progress

1995 TW200 - Blaster Shock

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

yes its local, its on craigs for 975 or some such, just waiting for payday to go check it out

You guys recommend any good but inexpensive riding gear i should check out? I dont even have a helmet yet haha

As far as working on them goes, it doesn't get easier unless you own a bicycle. Wish I had started off wrenching on bikes to "get my feet wet" rather than rebuilding the structural parts of a rusted out unibody car, transmission swap in an AWD car, progressing to engine swaps, rebuilding a rusted out truck frame, tearing apart differentials to install lockers, redesigning truck suspension, swapping gears in transfercase for lower low range, etc. and so on.

Welcome to the board! 975 is an extremely good price if there is nothing major wrong, and it wouldn't amaze me too much if someone buys it out from under you if it is listed on CL
    ITCB

Welcome to the forum. You're gonna love the TW.
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links