1st ride of the season (to work)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We are a few inches shy of the all time record snow fall here in anchorage. My TW is more or less set up for winter, I rode up until christmas last year. I am running tempered ice screws (mostly used on snow machine tracks) in the outside lugs of stock tires, in previous years I had ice screws in all of the lugs but have found I like leaving the center of the tire free better. I mounted a windscreen off of a jet ski last fall, a big improvemet over previous years winter riding with no windscreen. I did install plug ins and temp controls for heated clothing, and bought the heated gear, but have not used it yet. It is a 3 mile ride to work and has not seemed necessary, plus I am a bit skptical of the amount of available power from a 1994 TW.

The ice screws index well on icy roads, hard packed snow. Piled up loose snow is pretty scary, especially if you are in heavy traffic. I have ridden down to (-)12F , it was (+) 12F this morning, piece of cake. rw

Quote Originally Posted by springbok View Post
    We are a few inches shy of the all time record snow fall here in anchorage. My TW is more or less set up for winter, I rode up until christmas last year. I am running tempered ice screws (mostly used on snow machine tracks) in the outside lugs of stock tires, in previous years I had ice screws in all of the lugs but have found I like leaving the center of the tire free better. I mounted a windscreen off of a jet ski last fall, a big improvemet over previous years winter riding with no windscreen. I did install plug ins and temp controls for heated clothing, and bought the heated gear, but have not used it yet. It is a 3 mile ride to work and has not seemed necessary, plus I am a bit skptical of the amount of available power from a 1994 TW.

The ice screws index well on icy roads, hard packed snow. Piled up loose snow is pretty scary, especially if you are in heavy traffic. I have ridden down to (-)12F , it was (+) 12F this morning, piece of cake. rw

I'd like to try riding on studded tires someday. How does it compare to dirt or road riding?
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

Balls!! I whine when it's 50+ here in nor Cal!! Today was not so bad as it got to about 70 by lunch, so I rode my bike back to work. This helps, as fuel localy it's about $4.70 for the cheap stuff! And still going up.

Bet fuel ain't cheap up in the great white north either! Watcha paying for a gallon of the cheap stuff?

I'd tell you to stay warm, but that does not seem possible, so WTH, just have fun! M.
    1997 TW with some modsHidden Content Pike'n the Boont region since 1989!

Have a Bahl Dee! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I'd like to try riding on studded tires someday. How does it compare to dirt or road riding?

There are a number of locals here that ride in the winter. the "recommended", "preferred" deal is to stud up a new set of tires. I am a bit skeptical of the local style of low profile stud (compared to the agressive stud used in southeast alaska where it is truly icy) disclaimer, (I lived in jnu for 22 years) but they seem to work ok. Ice screws, which I bought at the yamaha dealer in Palenville (wasilla) work ok on pavement, but do wear off. I seem to replace them every 5 weeks or so, or every 150 -200 miles probably. People seem to get multi year use out of actual studded up tires. I run agressive studs on my toyota pick up certainly.

I have one of those receiver carriers and pack the bike around. One of the spring things to do is to haul it up turnagain arm past the whittier turnoff to one of the drainages that come down from a variety of glaciers of the coast range. Generally there are a bunch of young guys on snow machines blasting around up there. They are always supprised to see some white haired geek show up on a motorcycle. There are more agressive spike things if you are serious about ice, but the ice screws are OK on a 14hp bike. It is probably accurate to say the deal with traction addendums on ice / packed snow is if they are working properly, you ride very straight w/o melodrama. rw

Springbok, you sir are a bad ass
    1987 TW200 - Work in Progress

1995 TW200 - Blaster Shock

2007 DRZ400sm - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes House of Madness View Post
    Balls!! I whine when it's 50+ here in nor Cal!! Today was not so bad as it got to about 70 by lunch, so I rode my bike back to work. This helps, as fuel localy it's about $4.70 for the cheap stuff! And still going up.

Bet fuel ain't cheap up in the great white north either! Watcha paying for a gallon of the cheap stuff?

I'd tell you to stay warm, but that does not seem possible, so WTH, just have fun! M.

I do not find staying warm to be much of a problem, it is true that (regardless of the outdoor sport) you find your self wearing the basic $1000 worth of stuff, and it works very well. I am currently wearing motorcycle specific stuff, 1st gear armoured / insulated riding pants, and a comparable tourtec yellow green coat. I decided I wanted to wear the impact armour in traffic. People ride snow machines all the time, and routinely work outside so other than a few specific dexterity / weird mechanical happenings from low temperatures, winter has many advantages over summer for backcountry mobility. It is probably easier to get the darwin award in the winter as not paying attention is bad ju-ju.

Fuel is variable here, it recently went up to ~$4.10 from ~$3.70ish in anc and the valley . Further out of town, you will see over $5 (+) then there is the bush where $10 - $12 (+) fuel is common. A few years ago I was on a run down the yukon in my skiff from Eagle to the dalton hwy bridge (500 miles in 4 days) and stopped in Ft Yukon to buy fuel. 40 gallons @ 8.50 / gallon (had been $12) , thought I was making out with such a great price. rw

There are a number of locals here that ride in the winter. the "recommended", "preferred" deal is to stud up a new set of tires. I am a bit skeptical of the local style of low profile stud (compared to the agressive stud used in southeast alaska where it is truly icy) disclaimer, (I lived in jnu for 22 years) but they seem to work ok. Ice screws, which I bought at the yamaha dealer in Palenville (wasilla) work ok on pavement, but do wear off. I seem to replace them every 5 weeks or so, or every 150 -200 miles probably. People seem to get multi year use out of actual studded up tires. I run agressive studs on my toyota pick up certainly.

I have one of those receiver carriers and pack the bike around. One of the spring things to do is to haul it up turnagain arm past the whittier turnoff to one of the drainages that come down from a variety of glaciers of the coast range. Generally there are a bunch of young guys on snow machines blasting around up there. They are always supprised to see some white haired geek show up on a motorcycle. There are more agressive spike things if you are serious about ice, but the ice screws are OK on a 14hp bike. It is probably accurate to say the deal with traction addendums on ice / packed snow is if they are working properly, you ride very straight w/o melodrama. rw

Sounds like it would be alot of fun. Maybe someday. Thanks for telling me what's involved. Imay try it on a frozen lake down here next winter.
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

I wanna see the Jetski windshield.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I wanna see the Jetski windshield.
    In general I don't post much anywhere, and I do not know how to post pictures. However, after riding for about a month this is s report on current conditions.

As stated earlier, we have had a lot of snow here in anchorage, which was plowed / bladed up in big berms along the roads. My 5:30 am ride to work is now in the upper (+) twenties, rather than zero. During the day it has been in the (+) mid 40's which is melting the snow handily. Much of the run off either evenly coats the road surface or makes puddles as drainage is still blocked by frozen stuff. In the mornings, it is much more icy than it was when it was colder. Once it is no longer below freezing overnight perhaps that will change. We will have dew point issues way into the summer.

I will do a refresh on the ice screws this weekend which should get me to non-frozen pavement, when ever that is. rw

Impressive how many conditions the TW shines when you really need it most. This is great to read. Thanks for sharing.
    Ride Along With Me On YouTube: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links